Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worth Upgrading?

Options
  • 14-06-2009 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭

I'm currently running an Athlon 3400+ with 1gb RAM and Radeon 3850.
    I've been thinking of upgrading, either an intel E7400 or Q8200 and 4GB of RAM, maybe new gfx card if I wanna spoil myself, though this card is pretty new to me.
    The demands would come from gaming, racing games, PES, prototype etc.

Either of those intel systems seems to come to around £400 (including the insane delivery charge), from this website that builds your PC. I suppose I could save a load by using people that dont rip of deliveries to ireland, but when I've previously looked at building it myself it didn't seem cheap.

Opinions welcome

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

How much stuff can you recycle from the old rig (i.e. optical, decent-sized SATA HDDs, case and/or PSU if they're up to snuff)? That can take a whole load off your shopping list... and the bill at the end of it.

Q8200 is fail. E7400 is good but its smack-bang in the middle of the X2-550BE and X3-720BE, which ain't a nice place to be. If you're mostly into gaming then a mildly OCd E5200 and a new graphics card would be more relevant especially on a tight budget. But if you have the cash get the X3-720BE as its a safer bet for future-proofing over a dual-core and doesn't throw away all its current-gen performance like any cheap-n'-nasty slow-ass quad.

I felt the same way about the HD3850. Feel better knowing with just a cheapo HD4830 I never had cause to look back. If you got a cheapie HD4850 for €90ish you'd pulverize it.

Advertisement