Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attack of the Retro

Options
  • 14-06-2009 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I loved my snes. I loved the graphics, the sounds, the games.

In the last couple of years there seems to be a massive trend for re-releasing old greats for the hand helds. Sometimes though when I'm playing remakes I doubht that the quality can always...evolve to sit with current standards. The original is best in my eyes and should just be re-released and not rehashed.

Just recently I've played two blasts from the past which have somewhat dissappointed me. Final Fantasy IV for the DS and the new Street Fighter(Not REALLY a remake but so similar to all the old games).

Final Fantasy VI has been "remastered" with cinematic shots acted by megre 3d puppets and stupid voice acting. The voices just highlight the poor script and I cant help but believe that all this mellow drama was better in pixels.

Street fighter VI is very much like the old games- its just thoose damn controls feel weird on the Xbox controller and I miss the sticks and the buttons.

There have been some great re-makes though- The super mario bros for the DS and Final Fantasy III to name my most recent.

And I have to say, Zelda A Link to the Past for the GBA, released in its clean original form was one of the best games I've ever played.

So what do you think?
    Is Original King or is Remastered Graphics and sound a great bonus?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,776 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

FF Tactics for the GBA, was not FF Tactics for the SNES

Donkey Kong 2 as I recall also contained some differences

I cant remember what else I bought for that old thing. Its gone now like so many posessions I used to have.

As for Megaman X I hear it got ported to the PSP recently and theyve done horrible things to it: ran it through a 3D engine and done voice overs and changed the unlocks around a bit. Eww.

You can very rarely **** with the originals. Its why there has never been a successful port of the original pacman that was anything but.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Yazacoo

who said anything about final fantasy tactics?
    (I played the one on the gba and didnt like it)

They released Final Fantasy 3 the original game "remastered" on the ds and similarly Final Fantasy 4.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,363 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yazacoo wrote: »
    I loved my snes. I loved the graphics, the sounds, the games.....

Just recently I've played two blasts from the past which have somewhat dissappointed me. Final Fantasy IV for the DS and the new Street Fighter(Not REALLY a remake but so similar to all the old games)........

And I have to say, Zelda A Link to the Past for the GBA, released in its clean original form was one of the best games I've ever played.

Nothing will ever match the SNES. The sound chip is so unique sounding and the various ports haven't been able to match it. SFIV is a completely different game to SF2 so there is no comparison. FFIV however has been completely changed for the DS remake making it a much harder game and expanding on the story. It feels completely different unlike the FF3 remake which is almost a carbon copy of the original.
    Overheal wrote: »
    FF Tactics for the GBA, was not FF Tactics for the SNES

FF tactics was never on the snes. It washowever on the PS1 and ported to the PSP. It's one of the best games ever made bu the GBA and DS tactics advance games are atrociously boring.

I figured it hadd to be SNES bound before i found it on the PSone. just seems like a snes game with flashy cutscenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Yazacoo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Nothing will ever match the SNES. The sound chip is so unique sounding and the various ports haven't been able to match it. SFIV is a completely different game to SF2 so there is no comparison. FFIV however has been completely changed for the DS remake making it a much harder game and expanding on the story. It feels completely different unlike the FF3 remake which is almost a carbon copy of the original.

SFVI is not a completely different game to II. All the moves are the same, all the charachters are the same and all the backgrounds are the same. The only differences is the improved graphics and new charachters and a revamp of the arcade.
    Street fighter II is one of my favourite games of all time and I was really looking forward to IV but it didn't quench my expectations.

so you think if they improve the graphics but just keep exactly to the original it could be almost as good as the original?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

SFVI is not a completely different game to II. All the moves are the same, all the charachters are the same and all the backgrounds are the same. The only differences is the improved graphics and new charachters and a revamp of the arcade.

Its SF IV and its a sequel, not a rehash. There is a difference. Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix would be a rehash (and a very good one).

Please don't talk about SNES's as it will encourage Overheal to talk about his superior US SNES collection and then make me want to watch AVGN.. too late :mad:

/watches AVGN

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,363 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

so you think if they improve the graphics but just keep exactly to the original it could be almost as good as the original?

A good game is always a good game no matter what it looks like. Some games age badly but stuff like Super Metroid are as good as the day they came out. Also I think sometimes improving the graphics runs some games since the sprite art on many old games is usually excellent and shouldn't be altered, although there are exceptions. I liked FFIV because it was something different to the fantastic original although I would have been happy with a carbon copy like FF3 remake.

Also SFIV is a completely difference beast to SF2. The same characters and moves are back but it plays very differently and there's different tactics to how you play it, at mid to high level play at least.

Its SF IV and its a sequel, not a rehash. There is a difference. Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix would be a rehash (and a very good one).

Please don't talk about SNES's as it will encourage Overheal to talk about his superior US SNES collection and then make me want to watch AVGN.. too late :mad:

/watches AVGN
    I only have about 5 or 6 cartridges. Hardly sueperior.

What you really dont want to get me started on is the dozens of UK titles and several consoles that got heaped into a bin on my behalf... that was disgusting to hear about.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

:O you got SNES consoles and games thrown into a bin? Tut-tut. *dirty looks towards Overheal*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Secret of Mana.

First RPG I ever played. Recently picked up a boxed copy including the map.

Chronotrigger.

Still to get my hands on the DS version and since they only released it in the US and Jap it was never officially available over here.

• Advertisement

:O you got SNES consoles and games thrown into a bin? Tut-tut. *dirty looks towards Overheal*
    No the SNES is the only thing left. I wasnt told the other stuff was getting ****ed into a bin before it happened. long story.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Ah right, still though *continues dirty looks*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Overheal wrote: »
    I only have about 5 or 6 cartridges. Hardly sueperior.

What you really dont want to get me started on is the dozens of UK titles and several consoles that got heaped into a bin on my behalf... that was disgusting to hear about.

I meant superior as in NTSC versions.

True. I was a bit surprised to hear that PAL never got Super Mario RPG. Well, 10 years later you did, on the Wii. But still. Thats nuts. MRPG was one of the best titles for the console, arguably.

It was one of the last games on the system. That and the fact that Nintendo don't give a **** about europe and thought that europeans don't like RPGs which explained the runaway success of Secret of Mana and the amount of imported FFIII's.

Advertisement