Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Given The Choice?

• 14-06-2009 1:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭

Given that we have no choice at birth as to what name is picked for us, are you happy with the one your parents gave you?

Or if given the choice would you have picked some other name?

No need to put your real name in of course, just the one you wish you'd gotten.:pac:

I'm happy with mine btw.:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I hate my real name

I would have chosen Flex Plexico

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I'm happy with mine, though I sometimes wish my parents named me Metallica :pac: anyone remember that? That was mad. They got allowance to name their child Metallica in the end. What were we talking about?

Oh yeah. Name. Good. I'm fine with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

When i was young i hated mine, but now i couldn care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

I hate my proper first name, but I like the abbreviated version that I use.
    Only problem is that its starting to sound a little childish as I get older :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I always wanted to be called Bret.

*Not really, but if anyone knows where im taking that from ill post you every bit of change thats down the back of the couch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Name don't bother me at all.

When I was younger I wanted to be called Sonic.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Prefer the shorten version of my name - it will do.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

deed poll ftw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,189 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

People have the choice to change their names though...

No I'm happy enough with mine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Megatron
    What about Seymour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

Like the short version.

I actually hate my name, its one of those awful Irish celtic names. Id much prefer a John or a Michael or a Bill. What actually annoys me is that I've to spell my name (both my first name and surname) out to people on the phone because theres several ways of spelling both... grr! I want an easy life.

I want to be called John Ryan, its easy and hassle free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

FearDark wrote: »
    I actually hate my name, its one of those awful Irish celtic names. Id much prefer a John or a Michael or a Bill. What actually annoys me is that I've to spell my name (both my first name and surname) out to people on the phone because theres several ways of spelling both... grr! I want an easy life.

Are you Prionsas DeRossa????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

I'm extremely happy with mine considering i was gonna be called Coleen. Thank fúck my Mam saw sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

When i was in primary school there was 5 others, in my class of 30, with the same name, back then i wished i had a different name, but doesn't bother me now quite happy with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

K4t wrote: »
    Classic Man in Black.;)
    I always wanted to be called Bret.

*Not really, but if anyone knows where im taking that from ill post you every bit of change thats down the back of the couch.
    Hand it over so..:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15 DeStijl

Hated it when I was younger but I've gotten used to it now:D

Kiera wrote: »
    I'm extremely happy with mine considering i was gonna be called Coleen. Thank fúck my Mam saw sense.

Close enough to Jolene though.:pac:

Now that would have suited.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Close enough to Jolene though.:pac:

Now that would have suited.:cool:
    Feck off you, i dont have a beard :mad:

• Advertisement

Classic Man in Black.;)

Hand it over so..:pac:
    I knew the minute I said that that you'd pick up on that, surprise surprise your wrong Hitman :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

Had my own issues with the parents over the years, but have no complaints over the name they gave me.

Could have been much worse if they were FF/SF/GAA heads.

I coulda been called Fiacra or Oisin or Dribbileen or Spiteen or somesuch disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

I used to hate mine, but I'm ok with it now.

When it's famous I'll be super happy! :)

Feck off you, i dont have a beard :mad:
    It was a compliment silly.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

You could say mine grew on me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I love my name..my proper first name..but hate the nickname versions. Im stuck with the nickname versions unfortunately with all but my parents...so they chose right me thinks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭khmk

Mr Handsome B. Wonderful

or

Stabby Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

I've always liked my name,not unique as such but rare!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I hated my name so i changed it to Super

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

For someone in Tipp Town you don't seem to have thought this one through very well. Do you realise how many John Ryans there must be in Tipperary, and how long you'd have to spend explaining your lineage? Spelling a traditional Irish name wouldn't seem so bad after all! :D Stick with what you've got, I'm sure it can't be that bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I hate my real name, it's such an old lady name. I guess it'll suit me when I'm 60...

I don't hate it enough to change it though, that's way too much hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

i like mine actually. i think it suits me, but being an irish name, with an irish spelling, it has proved to be a complete pain in the ass now that i live abroad.

but i quite like the meaning of it, as well as various references in mythology and the like. suits me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Kinda related can you imagine people close to you with different names than they currently have? I think your name reflects your personality and I couldn't imagine people I know being called something else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

I like my name, it can be shortened in a few different ways so it's cool.

• Advertisement

I despise my name.
    If you were going to use my name to market a clothing item, it would be used for fancy granny underpants. :(
    And Culchies can't say my name right. Nevermind Culchie kids!
    My mother wanted to call me something short, sweet and common, but lumbering your offspring with awkward/humilating monikers, is a bit of a family tradition. And my Da thought baby me had a pompous air. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Awww poor Moonbaby...well at least you know you can change it if you wanted to, and get an unmerciful bollocking in the process from the family asking why!:) As for myself, i'm happy with my name but if i had it as gaelige i'd be happier.

Awww poor Moonbaby...well at least you know you can change it if you wanted to, and get an unmerciful bollocking in the process from the family asking why!:) As for myself, i'm happy with my name but if i had it as gaelige i'd be happier.

I tried but I hadn't the heart. I'll just have to procreate if I want revenge. :(

brendan dover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

I want to change my name to Cool Moe Dee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I love my name..
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭cjbh

interesting how many people are unhappy with their name...

like a lot of people here, i hated mine when i was younger (it's an irish one), but i'm OK with it now

certainly not what i would have chosen myself, but then again, that's a pretty big ask of your parents

name appreciation is just so subjective (although there does seem to be a general consensus as to what is a horrible name)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

Almost no-one knows my real name ... many people think they do, but they don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

You think that's bad? My dad wanted to call me Pauline!!!!

I like my name, I have to say.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭googlehead

my confirmation name is The Penetrator

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

googlehead wrote: »
    my confirmation name is The Penetrator

Are you sure that was'nt what the priest wanted you to call him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

i love my awful name,i would also have been happy being called tallulah though,awful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Paddo81

My name on boards is fairly close to my real name, i think u can guess what it is...

My parents are pretty old fashioned and abit un-imaginative so im not surprised what they called me. Still, its a good solid name and imo is alot better than those woeful celtic names that everyone calls their kids these days.

If i had had the choice I would be called Jake or Rod...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I don't really like my name. It's strange... I don't really associate my name with me... mad I know. If someone said my name I wouldn't automatically think of me, I'd think of a person who has the same name as me... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sillyputty

I hated mine when i was younger, like it now though - love it actually.

However, i would love a name that looks like how it should be pronounced - the curse of an irish name....

• Advertisement
Advertisement