Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who likes Buddy Holly

Options
  • 14-06-2009 1:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

You?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Microsoft.

Cryptic clues FTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭davylee

buddy is a legend

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

FearDark wrote: »
    Microsoft.

Cryptic clues FTW.
    Not that cryptic but then I'm 34. Kudos for the double jump though, great video.

He's never been underestimated by the critics but his importance in rock & roll's often forgotten by them wot aren't critics. I go through phases of playing Buddy Holly stuff but not a massive amount. Very talented guy though.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

How could anyone not like Buddy Holly. So much going on in his music. Actaully going to go spin one of his records right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

When I listen some Budy Holly / Everly Brothers song I hear the Beatles .....or should that be the other way around ?

Easy to hear were the fabs got their influences from .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭davylee

Latchy wrote: »
    When I listen some Budy Holly / Everly Brothers song I hear the Beatles .....or should that be the other way around ?

Easy to hear were the fabs got their influences from .
    Don't know for sure but i'd imagine buddy would have been around first.
    beatles original recordings sound far better than buddys
    thats all i'm basing that on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

davylee wrote: »
    Don't know for sure but i'd imagine buddy would have been around first.
    beatles original recordings sound far better than buddys
    thats all i'm basing that on
    I did read that the Beatles were individually and collectively influenced by Elvis, Everlys and Buddy .
    If you listen to the Everlys ' Temptation ' you can see were 'A Hard days night ' comes from ' and a lot of Buddys guitar riffs are very similar to early Beatles riffs ie , ' All my Loving ' .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

There is a case to be made for Buddy Holly being the most important of the early rock pioneers, primarily because he wrote and performed his own material and was involved in the arrangement and production side, an unheard of thing for artists at the time.
    What's even more impressive is how influential he was when you consider that his career really only lasted two years (1957/1958) before the infamous Winter Dance Tour of 1959.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

I've said it often enough...if Buddy Holly had lived, we'd probably be saying Elvis who?

Advertisement