Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Defragmenting Dual Boot Laptop...

• 14-06-2009 1:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭

Can you use a defrag program like Perfectdisk to defrag a dualboot vista/xp laptop ? Would I cause all sorts of problems if I tried ?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moved from Laptops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

None, both c drives will be seperate partions

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

as a general rule defragment with the newest OS only.
    it will be aware of the older OS but not visa-versa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

as a general rule defragment with the newest OS only.
    it will be aware of the older OS but not visa-versa.

Thank you both for the replies!

I'm not sure which is the newest OS as the laptop was dual boot when I got it.
    Is there anyway of telling? Will I do damage if I defragment the wrong one first?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Someone will probably explain to me why my approach is wrong but as you'll have each OS on a different partition, defrag each OS partition separately by installing the defrag program on each OS and deselecting the partition containing the other OS. For shared partitions, use the newer OS (as in the most recently released one, which would be Vista)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

sceptre wrote: »
    Someone will probably explain to me why my approach is wrong but as you'll have each OS on a different partition, defrag each OS partition separately by installing the defrag program on each OS and deselecting the partition containing the other OS. For shared partitions, use the newer OS (as in the most recently released one, which would be Vista)

Both partitions should be readable from whichever partition you choose, so you can defrag both partitions.
    Plus, as the Operating System(OS) is in use, there are more resources which cannot be defragged because they are in use - so really, it's best to defrag another OS from one OS (Less files locked).
    Defragging from both partitions would produce better defragging, but not so much that it'd be worth the time/effort.
    <I'm probably not explaining this well...in short: install once, defrag both partitions, it's all good. Goodnight.>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

sceptre wrote: »
    For shared partitions, use the newer OS (as in the most recently released one, which would be Vista)

Doh I'm an idiot. I thought it meant whichever was installed first.Thanks !

Karoma wrote: »
    Both partitions should be readable from whichever partition you choose, so you can defrag both partitions.
    Plus, as the Operating System(OS) is in use, there are more resources which cannot be defragged because they are in use - so really, it's best to defrag another OS from one OS (Less files locked).
    Defragging from both partitions would produce better defragging, but not so much that it'd be worth the time/effort.
    <I'm probably not explaining this well...in short: install once, defrag both partitions, it's all good. Goodnight.>

No, that was well explained...I understood. Thank you for that.:)

Let the defragmenting commence!:)

Advertisement