Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does atheism matter?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

togster wrote: »
    Try it out and see. Become aware of just how often the mind is at work. Being aware of it is the first step.

All the great teachers speak of the same thing. Unfortunately organised religion has screwed all that up.

I'm not saying it's different or the same.
    Inner peace and heaven on earth is available to everyone right here right now. Just try and stop thinking, become aware that you are not your mind. Watch your thoughts. Watch the ego in its need to assert itself and be right and have strong opinions. Become aware of how it constantly judges and needs and analyses and created emotions. Emotion actually means disturbance.

The hell jesus spoke of was this the hell that almost everyone on earth endures on a daily basis, to some degree. How many have inner peace? A life free from mind created problems. For every up there is a down.

It's possible to live in heaven on earth. Free of mind and emotion and have complete acceptance and inner peace.

Just be aware of your mind. Don't judge yourself for having the thoughts. Just accept they are there. You are not your mind.
    1. Life as we know it ultimately is or leads to suffering/uneasiness in one way or another.
    2. Suffering is caused by craving or attachments to worldly pleasures of all kinds. This is often expressed as a deluded clinging to a certain sense of existence, to selfhood, or to the things or phenomena that we consider the cause of happiness or unhappiness.
    3. Suffering ends when craving ends, when one is freed from desire. This is achieved by eliminating all delusion, thereby reaching a liberated state of Enlightenment.
    4. Reaching this liberated state is achieved by following the path laid out by the Buddha.

Sound familiar? ;)

What exactly do you mean? What is heaven on earth, what does it achieve and what does it have to do with whether I should accept unsubstantiated claims or not?

are we still talking about atheism here?

I.....don't know

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

But most people are run by there mind.

What are you run by? This is what makes people people. What is it you find so wrong with the mind and its thought processes?
    Few people actually are aware of this.

Bullsh!t everyone is aware of their mind its central to who they are. Without the mind your just a mindless shell. I don't disagree though that a period of mindlessness would be an interesting trip where stresses of some of your thoughts wouldn't be there a physical being you wouldn't survive very long.

....You are not your mind.

Actually yes you are.

To quote the great philosopher Eric Cartman:

"It's all a load of tree hugging hippy crap" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Sam Vimes wrote: »
      Sound familiar? ;)

Yes it does ;) Jesus was on about the same thing too.
      What exactly do you mean? What is heaven on earth, what does it achieve and what does it have to do with whether I should accept unsubstantiated claims or not?

Heaven on earth, is whatever you want it to be. You control your own destiny.

The key is understanding how the mind works and the eventual realisation that you are not your mind. Heaven on earth is a state of being (mind kicked in yet? you don't like the word "being"?)

You should not accpet anything that you don't want to.
    But don't let the mind make a decision for you unless you are completely sure that you are it's master and commander. :)

I don't have a problem with atheism. It's just that the way of thinking often perforates every area of life. And the person becomes the way of thinking, "I am an atheist" or "i am a catholic".

In one way the person has an identity now. And everyone on this planet is searching to find it is what they are missing. To "find themselves" in a job or a holiday or a religion or a way of thinking. We all do it. All of us. We went to the bloody moon man.

Actually yes you are.

Actually no i'm not :)

Heaven on earth, is whatever you want it to be. You control your own destiny.

The key is understanding how the mind works and the eventual realisation that you are not your mind. Heaven on earth is a state of being (mind kicked in yet? you don't like the word "being"?)
    The thing is that in my opinion if you don't think you are your mind then you don't understand how the mind works. Yes it's an extremely complicated organ with many levels that we don't yet understand but I don't think there is anything spiritual or other worldy there. We are just complicated machines. We can break away from our programming somewhat but not entirely.
    You should not accpet anything that you don't want to.
    But don't let the mind make a decision for you unless you are completely sure that you are it's master and commander. :)
    What if something can be proven? Should you still not accept it if you don't want to?

What is it you find so wrong with the mind and its thought processes?

When i use it correctly, i have no problem!

OK for example. Are you ever anxious or on edge? Are you ever sad or lonely? Are you ever angry or revengeful? Are you ever wreckless with yourself or others?

ALL MIND CREATED STUFF. Now tell me there is nothing wrong with that.

OK for example. Are you ever anxious or on edge? Are you ever sad or lonely? Are you ever angry or revengeful? Are you ever wreckless with yourself or others?

Every single thing that you will ever experience is mind created stuff. It's all a load of electrical impulses through neurons and synapses

When you meditate, it's just a different part of your mind coming out

• Advertisement

We are just complicated machines. We can break away from our programming somewhat but not entirely.

I think it's sad that you think that but i can see the logic in it. I know that there is another way to be.

Every single thing that you will ever experience is mind created stuff. It's all a load of electrical impulses through neurons and synapses

Exactly!! Its so simple :)

There is a way to live where the mind does not dictate to us.
    it's just a different part of your mind coming out

And maybe that part of our "mind" is our true self or our "soul" or our real intelligence.

I think it's sad that you think that but i can see the logic in it. I know that there is another way to be.

I know there's another way to be. Meditation has been shown to work and that's why it's used by so many different cultures. You can achieve peace and free yourself from emotion and the noise of thought and it can be a wonderful experience.

I just don't think that you become perfect when you do so or that it's "you" as opposed to your mind or any other higher concept. It's just another function of your mind

There is nothing wrong with that.

With respect to you being your mind, your response:
    Actually no i'm not :)

Is quite clear to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Am i the only one who thinks this sounds like Jesus wants us to be mindless zombies?

Not really - it means that a person may have to evalute the moral consequences of what they decide without reference to themselves. So its an external concept.

I know there's another way to be. Meditation has been shown to work and that's why it's used by so many different cultures. You can achieve peace and free yourself from emotion and the noise of thought and it can be a wonderful experience.

I just don't think that you become perfect when you do so or that it's "you" as opposed to your mind or any other higher concept. It's just another function of your mind

To quote the great philosopher Eric Cartman:

"It's all a load of tree hugging hippy crap" :D

:rolleyes:

So where are you getting your pseudo religious stuff from - meditation +philosophy = atheism:confused:

CDfm wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

So where are you getting your pseudo religious stuff from - meditation +philosophy = atheism:confused:

I'm lost....

I'm lost....

What I am saying is that when you add meditation and philosopphy together you get somthing thats sort of religious.

It could be a gateway thing and who knows where it could lead :eek:

scratch that, I'll try again. That's a bit of a mess :D

The idea of an omnipotent being is extremely unlikely to me

A non omnipotent being to which different laws of a different universe apply is more likely but still very unlikely
    . I know that humans have a tendency to anthropomorphise things

A non-intelligent process to which different natural laws apply seems to me to be the most likely or that they are the same laws and we don't understand them fully

The world religions are 99% certainly inventions of man

Sam - are you sure that you are not an agnostic?

• Advertisement

Sam - are you sure that you are not an agnostic?

Nope, I'm what Mr. Dawkins calls a level 6 atheist :)

As I said to you the idea that all atheists think the universe popped out of nothing is a theist caricature of the position of atheists.

Level 6 is:
    6. Very low probability [of god], but short of zero. De facto atheist. 'I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable, and I live my life on the assumption that he is not there.'

What I am saying is that when you add meditation and philosopphy together you get somthing thats sort of religious.

It could be a gateway thing and who knows where it could lead :eek:

There's plenty of secular philosophy and plenty of secular meditation too. Meditation is a function of the human mind and you don't have to believe in God to achieve it

Nope, I'm what Mr. Dawkins calls a level 6 atheist :)

You wouldnt believe that fellah
    As I said to you the idea that all atheists think the universe popped out of nothing is a theist caricature of the position of atheists.

And the options are
    Level 6 is:
    6. Very low probability [of god], but short of zero. De facto atheist. 'I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable, and I live my life on the assumption that he is not there.'

But Buddism is a religion and only an assumption.You have a doubt so how come you are an atheist?

But Buddism is a religion and only an assumption.You have a doubt so how come you are an atheist?

Buddhism is actually an atheist religion ;)

and meditation is used by dozens of religions and by non-religious people. There's mountains of evidence supporting its existence, just not the spiritual aspects of it

And as I keep saying, the vast majority of atheists have doubt. The idea that all atheists are 100% sure god doesn't exist is only what religious people like to think so they can say we're irrational. It just seems very unlikely to me so I operate under the assumption that it's not there

There is nothing wrong with that.
    With respect there is alot wrong with that.

Buddhism is actually an atheist religion ;)

and many of the faithful also follow ingineous religions and believe in rebirth/reincarnation. Mystic or what.
    and meditation is used by dozens of religions and by non-religious people. There's mountains of evidence supporting its existence, just not the spiritual aspects of it

Keep telling yourself that
    And as I keep saying, the vast majority of atheists have doubt. The idea that all atheists are 100% sure god doesn't exist is only what religious people like to think so they can say we're irrational. It just seems very unlikely to me so I operate under the assumption that it's not there

so does this make you one of the agnostic atheists who express these doubts?

• Advertisement

just not the spiritual aspects of it

What are the spiritual aspects of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

So you are suspicious of yourself?

You use your mind to be suspicious of your mind. How can you trust something if it is so flawed? :eek:

Now you are starting to get the importance of science ...

Its the opening words
    It isn't the opening words. The opening words of the Bible have God creating the "heavens and the Earth". If you look at what the authors understood by the heavens that has very little relation to what we would know as the universe, and the Earth was formed billions of years after the formation of the universe.

The opening passage of the Bible is not referring to the Big Bang. It is referring to some imagined creation event.
    Coincidence you say
    And not particularly surprising coincidence. The authors had a 50/50 chance of picking a created universe over a non-created universe.
    Do you think on probability that one religion would hit paydirt?
    Thousands of religions would "hit paydirt", and thousands have.
    I am just using it here to make the meaning clearer.
    It doesn't make the meaning clearer, it makes it in fact meaningless. If you simply assign the term "God" to what ever we discover caused the Big Bang irrespective of what ever that turns out to be then the term "God" has no meaning at the moment, which a lot of religious people would object to.
    Its more like saying whats the basis for your rejection.

Humans make stuff up.

Wicknight wrote: »
    or should that be epistemology

I already understand the importance of science.

• Advertisement

The opening passage of the Bible is not referring to the Big Bang. It is referring to some imagined creation event.

so do you accept the big bang

It doesn't make the meaning clearer, it makes it in fact meaningless. If you simply assign the term "God" to what ever we discover caused the Big Bang irrespective of what ever that turns out to be then the term "God" has no meaning at the moment, which a lot of religious people would object to.

So your position is no Gods ever and you know this as in no levels - nada ,nyet,rien, nothing.

Meditation has been shown to work and that's why it's used by so many different cultures. You can achieve peace and free yourself from emotion and the noise of thought and it can be a wonderful experience.

How has it been shown to work? How do you quantify inner peace? Where is the evidence it works? And what does it do?

Meditation is a practice not a way of being.
    You can achieve peace and free yourself from emotion and the noise of thought and it can be a wonderful experience.

Have you experienced this?
    It's just another function of your mind

Perhaps, but have you evidence of that?

and many of the faithful also follow ingineous religions and believe in rebirth/reincarnation. Mystic or what.
    They do indeed. It's atheistic in that it doesn't believe in any Gods. It still has lots of unsubstantiated claims like reincarnation.

Keep telling yourself that
    Eh? Meditation has been amply shown to induce an altered mental state. There are disagreements on what that means, some saying it brings you closer to god and others just saying it relaxes you, but it definitely does something. It's even used in catholicism, reciting the rosary is a form of meditation. Are you saying that meditation doesn't exist?
    so does this make you one of the agnostic atheists who express these doubts?

I wouldn't call myself an agnostic atheist, that would probably be a 5 on the scale in the thread I linked to earlier. I know that religious people like to dismiss Dawkins without quite knowing why and I'm sure he gets an awful time of it on the christianity forum but he actually has a lot of good things to say when you actually listen instead of dismissing him because it's him. Take a look at the scale because it explains it pretty well.

I can call myself an atheist without completely eliminating the possibility. I'm saying that I won't accept it until evidence is presented but a 7 on the scale says that God definitely doesn't exist and he 'knows' that no evidence will ever be presented to contradict that statement. If you look at the thread you'll see that the vast majority of the people on the forum are only a 6 and so is Dawkins.
    What are the spiritual aspects of it?

Anything that suggests there's some higher meaning to it and it's not just a natural function of your mind

How has it been shown to work? How do you quantify inner peace? Where is the evidence it works? And what does it do?

Meditation is a practice not a way of being.

Have you experienced this?
    I never said it was shown to bring inner peace, people differ and what exactly it is but something definitely happens. In its simplest form it distracts the conscious mind and brings a sense of calm. I don't know exactly what it does but it definitely does something.

You're the one telling us we should all do it. Why are you insisting I provide evidence that it exists :confused:
    Perhaps, but have you evidence of that?
    When I say it's a function of your mind I mean it's a natural phenomenon. It's a natural phenomenon right up until the existence of the supernatural is proven. The onus of proof is not on me

or should that be epistemology

Science is a response to conclusions of epistemology.

I already understand the importance of science.

I'm not sure you do, if you did it would be odd to be shocked (:eek:), sarcastically or not, at what Sam was saying.

I don't know exactly what it does but it definitely does something.

I find it strange that you are certain it does something but you are not sure what :confused: I've seen you write many times before that you will not accept something unless you are sure of it's exsistance.
    You're the one telling us we should all do it. Why are you insisting I provide evidence that it exists :confused:

No. I was not even talking about meditation. Meditation is a practice not a way of being. You were the one who mentioned meditation :)
    Why are you insisting I provide evidence that it exists :confused:

Because you normally don't believe anything without evidence? And yet you are certain it works and you are not sure what it does. :confused:
    When I say it's a function of your mind I mean it's a natural phenomenon. It's a natural phenomenon right up until the existence of the supernatural is proven. The onus of proof is not on me

Perhaps it is a natural phenomenon but you claim to not know what it is. So how can you claim it to be natural or supernatural. It's not supernatural by the way. It's available to all of us.

so do you accept the big bang

What does that have to do with what I just said?

Anyway, I accept it as a well supported scientific theory that accurately models the current data.

Do you accept that Genesis is not referring to the Big Bang?
    So your position is no Gods ever and you know this as in no levels - nada ,nyet,rien, nothing.

What?

That response has absolutely nothing to do with what I wrote.

Remember I told you a while back that I would point out to you when you start doing this peculiar thing you do some times where your replies begin to make less and less sense in relation to the bits you quote before them.

Well you are doing it again.

Wicknight - It doesn't make the meaning clearer, it makes it in fact meaningless.

CDfm - So you agree chocolate is the best ice cream then.

In its simplest form it distracts the conscious mind and brings a sense of calm.

I would suggest it unveils the conscious mind.

I'm not sure you do, if you did it would be odd to be shocked (:eek:), sarcastically or not, at what Sam was saying.

Yes i do.

Of course the degree of importance is different for different people. Importance is an abstract notion. It's subjective.

• Advertisement

Because you normally don't believe anything without evidence? And yet you are certain it works and you are not sure what it does. :confused:

There is plenty of evidence that meditation improves the mental well being of the person doing it, and biological theories (testable ones) as to how it does this. There is no evidence that it does this in any supernatural fashion.

Yes i do.

Of course the degree of importance is different for different people. Importance is an abstract notion. It's subjective.

Ok, so you agree with what Sam is saying. If so why are not agreeing with what Sam is saying? :confused:

Ok, so you agree with what Sam is saying. If so why are not agreeing with what Sam is saying? :confused:

You need to read what i wrote!

I said i understand the importance of science.

I also said importance is subjective. It's individual. It's more important to some than others. I can disagree with him because i obviously do not think it's as important. Do you get my point?

There is plenty of evidence that meditation improves the mental well being of the person doing it, and biological theories (testable ones) as to how it does this. There is no evidence that it does this in any supernatural fashion.

How does it improve someones mental well being? And if it does, shouldn't the natural state of a person be the state generated while meditating?

I find it strange that you are certain it does something but you are not sure what :confused: I've seen you write many times before that you will not accept something unless you are sure of it's exsistance.

Perhaps it is a natural phenomenon but you claim to not know what it is. So how can you claim it to be natural or supernatural. It's not supernatural by the way. It's available to all of us.
    I'm not sure what it does for two reasons:
    1. We don't fully understand the human mind
    2. I haven't bothered to look it up
    What I do know is that it has been used by millions of people, religious and non-religious, to great effect for thousands for years. It definitely does something. This is a case where I know the evidence is there and I just haven't bothered to look it up, similar to how I've never bothered to ask someone to prove to me that the grand canyon exists because I know it does. So I'm not "believing without evidence", there is evidence and I just haven't bothered looking at it. This is different to religion where no evidence exists.
    No. I was not even talking about meditation. Meditation is a practice not a way of being. You were the one who mentioned meditation :)
    I'm the one who mentioned the word but what you were describing was meditation, you just didn't like me to put that label on it.
    Again, I don't know what it is because I haven't bothered studying it. I can say it's not supernatural because to date there is no evidence that the supernatural exists so that the default position is that it's not

Yes i do.

Science is important if you want to be sure that you're correct in what you're saying but if you want to hold onto any old hypothesis without verifying if it's right or not you have no use for science

How does it improve someones mental well being? And if it does, shouldn't the natural state of a person be the state generated while meditating?

How's that then? What exactly is the natural state?

I would say the natural state is the one that you're in naturally, without having to do a mind altering technique to achieve

You need to read what i wrote!

I said i understand the importance of science.

I also said importance is subjective. It's individual. It's more important to some than others. I can disagree with him because i obviously do not think it's as important. Do you get my point?

I do, but my point is that it doesn't work like that. You cannot simply ignore the problems of personal subjective assessment (problems science attempts to address) because that is more important to you than not ignoring them. I mean you can if you wish but you will end up with a whole heap of mess. Whether or not you care is a different matter. But it shouldn't shocking to you that some people do care.

I'm the one who mentioned the word but what you were describing was meditation, you just didn't like me to put that label on it.

What i was describing was a way of being akin to the state generated while meditating. I didn't want you to label it because i wanted to show you your minds need to label something in order to understand it.
    Again, I don't know what it is because I haven't bothered studying it.

Some things can't be studied. You need to experience some things in order to fully comprehend.

• Advertisement

But it shouldn't shocking to you that some people do care.

It's not shocking. I apologise for using (:eek:). I'll be more careful with him next time.

I was trying to point out how illogical it sounded to me that a person would continually doubt themselves and how they think. It had very little to do with science tbh.

Advertisement