Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

software documentation in PhD

• 14-06-2009 4:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭

I am doing a postgrad centred on developing a commercial software application. It's funded by Enterprise Ireland.
    I've developed a working alpha, and am writing the transfer.
    I'm writing about the appication itself. If anyone reading this has done a research postgrad based on developing software maybe they could give me some advice:

I'm not sure how much I should document the software.

It doesn't include a patentable algorithm, so one issue is maintaining the commercial viabilty of the tool.

Aside from that I'm no sure how much detail there should be anyway. It's a web-based application which uses webservices to communicate with a database. So far I have included diagrams describing the structure of tables in the database, and described the webservices/api, and the structure of data that is passed there. I'm documenting the client-side now, and I'm really not sure how much detail I should go into. Full description of the application with UML, an overview, or what?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,424 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

pwd wrote: »
    software documentation in PhD
    Ask your thesis chair?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

Is there anyone else in the dept. who has successfully written a transfer like this you could ask for advice? My own inclination is to keep things relatively simple, so it won't interrupt the flow, but include specific details as an appendix, so the curious will be satisfied.

Disclaimer: I know absolutely nothing about software development!

Advertisement