Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Spoiler* Tim Sylvia v Ray Mercer

Options
  • 14-06-2009 7:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,192 ✭✭✭✭

I almost crapped my boxers!

Tim Sylvia knocked out by Ray Mercer in 10 seconds

http://mmajunkie.com/news/15196/report-tim-sylvia-knocked-out-by-ray-mercer-in-10-seconds-at-adrenaline-mma-iii.mma
    Report: Tim Sylvia knocked out by Ray Mercer in 10 seconds at Adrenaline MMA III

by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Jun 14, 2009 at 1:25 am ET
    tim-sylvia-4.jpgAny claim former UFC heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia may have retained as a top-10 fighter crashed to the ground along with "The Maine-iac's" 6-foot-8 frame on Saturday night in Birmingham, Ala.

In a contest that has was relocated and rescheduled due to sanctioning challenges, Sylvia was knocked out in just 10 seconds by 48-year-old former boxing heavyweight champion Ray Mercer (1-0).

The bout served as the main event of "Adrenaline MMA III: Bragging Rights" at Birmingham Jefferson Civic Center in Birmingham, Ala.

A report from NextMMAFighter.com stated that a missed kick by Sylvia led to a powerful right hand from Mercer that ended the fight.

Prior to the contest, Mercer told The Birmingham News exactly what he had planned for the contest.

"I'm not going to be kicking," Mercer said. "I'm going to wear shoes and all that. I want him to know straight up where I'm coming from. I am a boxer, I'm not a MMA fighter."

Mercer's only prior exposure to MMA was a 2007 submission loss in an exhibition contest with Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson. Sylvia has now dropped four of his past five contests.

While the bout was intended to a boxing match, regulation challenges from the Association of Boxing Commissions forced Adrenaline MMA III promoter Monte Cox on Thursday to change the contest to a mixed martial arts fight.

In other notable action, Jeremy Horn (81-19-5) earned a first round submission win over Chris Davis (5-1), while Rich Clementi (33-14-1) submitted Sasuke Zapata (17-2), also in the opening frame.

While there was no television or internet broadcast of Adrenaline MMA III, Cox told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that HDNet would be on hand to film highlights for Friday's edition of "Inside MMA."

I love it!:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

I like it. I don't hate Tim Sylvia like some people do, but I hate when an ex boxer is wheeled out in either MMA or K1. It's only because the guy needs a few quid and he's supposed to get taken down and GnPed like a good boy so that the MMA fans can brag to their boxing fan friends about how MMA is superior etc. etc. I'm sure some boxing promoters would love to get Anderson Silva to box for the same reason.

Ray Mercer was a good boxer in his day and I'm glad to see him getting a few quid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Tim did come into the fight massively out of shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Tims main strenght is boxing and against a real boxer, old even he was going down unless he went to ground..

Mercer is a gentleman and a good sport, Like barry im glad..and i think tim was a good champ imo.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Roper wrote: »
    I like it. I don't hate Tim Sylvia like some people do, but I hate when an ex boxer is wheeled out in either MMA or K1. It's only because the guy needs a few quid and he's supposed to get taken down and GnPed like a good boy so that the MMA fans can brag to their boxing fan friends about how MMA is superior etc. etc.

The fight was scheduled to be a boxing match originally. It had to be changed during the week when it became clear that they weren't legally allowed to do that

I was expecting Tim to just stick to punches anyway

Once Fedor's had his way with you, you're just never the same :pac:

It has all been downhill since the Kane fight :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Lets not inform the boxing forum about this :o

I heard that they had agreed to only punch prior to the fight, as it was originally supposed to be a boxing match. Sylvia kicked Mercer and then the rest is in the video. Mercer apparently gave Sylvia evil eyes and knocked him out in what only can be described as in slow motion.

Sylvia's career is over. Well done Mercer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

dlofnep wrote: »
    I heard that they had agreed to only punch prior to the fight, as it was originally supposed to be a boxing match. Sylvia kicked Mercer and then the rest is in the video. Mercer apparently gave Sylvia evil eyes and knocked him out in what only can be described as in slow motion.

Sylvia's career is over. Well done Mercer!

Did they really have to come to an agreement? Tim is not exactly known for his take down and submission skills. He would have kept it standing regardless.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Did they really have to come to an agreement? Tim is not exactly known for his take down and submission skills. He would have kept it standing regardless.

Just what I heard.. You can hear the guys comment on it in that video too. The option was always there to take him down - he took down Mir, albeit to have his arm snapped if half. Must be tough being Sylvia - going from top of the MMA world, to getting knocked out to a man who's nearly 50 years old in lower leagues.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

That's Sylvia and Arlovski now that have been knocked clean out withing the first 30 seconds in the fight after fedor.... I wonder if Barnett is getting a little worried! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. That's made my day.

TIMBAAAAAAA.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Said it before and il say it again, Syliva and Arlovski are done. Fedors 1st round beating of them both doesnt really mean anything to be honest, everyone harping on about Fedor as if he is some unbeatable God, we really need to see him fight the UFC HW's and thats about the size of it

Saw that gif on the UG, funny :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Am i the only one who thinks that Ray Mercer, with no real exposure to MMA and his claim to be a simple boxer is lying through his teeth? I'd swear he was going for a single after he lamped poor Tim. :pac:

I feel bad for Tim, i think he gave me some very enjoyable fights to watch and it's a shame to see him go down like that.

Tones69 wrote: »
    Said it before and il say it again, Syliva and Arlovski are done. Fedors 1st round beating of them both doesnt really mean anything to be honest, everyone harping on about Fedor as if he is some unbeatable God, we really need to see him fight the UFC HW's and thats about the size of it
    Errrr......his next fight is his third against a former ufc champion in a row...

Errrr......his next fight is his third against a former ufc champion in a row...

I think what he is saying is that it would be nice to see Fedor fight a heavyweight that is currently a proper force in the world rankings.

Sure, he crushed Sylvia and beat Arlovski but then so did a 50 year old ex boxer and an up and comer in the heavyweights.

Personally, i don't think a better fight could come than Josh Barnett.

I know what your saying but lets be honest, at the time arlovski and sylvia were legitimate top 10's. I'm pretty sure i was not the only one that was looking for a rematch of AA and Fedor...not so much now,actually not at all

I know what your saying but lets be honest, at the time arlovski and sylvia were legitimate top 10's. I'm pretty sure i was not the only one that was looking for a rematch of AA and Fedor...not so much now,actually not at all

Well Fedor tends to smash a fighters appeal or interest for most people, so i wonder what it's like to be told all the time you are the best in the world when you are champ, only to then get routed by a guy who was clearly better than you.

It can't be easy.

That said, i don't think Fedor is so bad that he can be the cause of the complete decline of a fighter like some people will imply.

I think Fedor fought Tim when Tim was still a very talented fighter and i think the same happened with Arlovski. I just think those two fighters are fighters who have good and bad days, just like 99% of fighters.

The only way some people will be happy with Fedors status as the best HW on the planet would be if he were to beat another Fedor, which is basically impossible.

All fighters have bad days, except Fedor from what i can see. Ergo, i think his title of best fighter on the planet is justified.

That said, i want to see it maintained with some really solid competition, like i would love to see him take on the new and improved Frank Mir, Overeem, Couture, Lesnar etc. Not because i sit here thinking that any of them would beat him, but because i think each fighter would offer an interesting challenge to him to help reinforce the legacy.

If you get me.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

"full" fight here if anyone's interested. 12 seconds lol.

Don't think Tim tried to throw a kick at all as stated in that article.

http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/billymdma/?action=view&current=TimSylviavsRayMercer.flv

• Registered Users Posts: 19,192 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I think it's hilarious. When it was canceled as a boxing match, Sylvia had NOTHING to gain but EVERYTHING to lose in that fight.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

I think Tim and AA both took their most recent opponents very lightly. Nobody takes Fedor lightly though, so you could argue that he was likely up against much better versions of those fighters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

Don't box a boxer

Might be an idea

• Registered Users Posts: 19,192 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

t-ha wrote: »
    I think Tim and AA both took their most recent opponents very lightly. Nobody takes Fedor lightly though, so you could argue that he was likely up against much better versions of those fighters?

This is true of Big Tim, but i don't think it's true of AA.

I think AA went in to do as he always does, stand up and beat people up viciously (a la Roy Nelson). He traded punches, moved back in a straight line like always, and blocked Rogers' punched with that Glass Chin of his!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

mercer went for a single imo :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

haha I love the way in that gif they have the ref going "wtf omg lol":D

That was pretty much my reaction too

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Judomad

jayteecork wrote: »
    "full" fight here if anyone's interested. 12 seconds lol.

Don't think Tim tried to throw a kick at all as stated in that article.

http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/billymdma/?action=view&current=TimSylviavsRayMercer.flv

Sounds like he kicked before that video as the commentator said "they agreed not to do that"

Sad to see Tim take a heavy KO but as good as people say he was i never ever liked him, i dont know what it was about him, just never liked him.. His fight vs Monson killed me to watch although another poster in here said it was a great fight tactically....i just never liked him but as i said sad to see him decline like he has..

Things just got even worse for poor Tim
    Tom Atencio, informed FanHouse on Monday that Sylvia has now been taken off the upcoming "Affliction: Trilogy" card. "It's his second knockout in a row, and I don't want to take a chance on anything," Atencio said. "The fight is less than 60 days away."

http://mma.fanhouse.com/2009/06/15/tim-sylvia-off-affliction-trilogy/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

The ridiculous thing is that Sylvia was guaranteed at least $800,000 for that fight. I wonder if he'll still get paid any of it

Advertisement