Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a laptop to view camera images

• 14-06-2009 10:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but here goes:
    In order to mount my Panasonic NV-GS 400 in a position where it would be extremely difficult to view the scene the camera is capturing (high in an auditorium) is there some way it can be connected to a laptop in order to use the laptop to monitor what the camcorder is recording? Is there suitable software etc. to do this job?
    Would appreciate advice as to what can be done and how. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

if you mean just to monitor it and not control it in any way can you not just run a cable from whatever video out it has into a monitor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sagishi

Dear ARTVANULET, Thanks for your reply. I have connected the Firewire out on the camera to the Firewire in on the laptop, but no joy. This may mean it just does not work that easily or I should do something more. I don't know which it is. Thanks again for your comment.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

not that i know anything about that camera but can it be set up as a web cam then it should stream the image to the laptop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭meep

Adobe OnLocation will do what you want - take a video feed from a firewire input and display it on screen along with lots of scopes etc. It used to be a standalone product known as DVRack but is now only available bundled with Acdobe Premiere. Review Here.

If your laptop is a Mac, Scopebox does a similar job and is a standalone application.

Peter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sagishi

Thanks Peter, pity it is not a standalone product. Don't want to fork out for CS4 yet. However, thanks again for letting me know. Denis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

sagishi wrote: »
    Dear ARTVANULET, Thanks for your reply. I have connected the Firewire out on the camera to the Firewire in on the laptop, but no joy. This may mean it just does not work that easily or I should do something more. I don't know which it is. Thanks again for your comment.

Buy a composite/SVid to USB adaptor for €50 odd in Maplins. Run a long composite (phono/BNC) / or SVid cable from the cameras AV out to the laptop.
    Job done.

Alternatively if you have a video monitor or even a TV use that instead of the laptop and you don't need to buy anything as long as you have a long enough cable.

Advertisement