Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New town park

Options
  • 14-06-2009 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

Has anyone any information on the new designated park for Tramore , I've heard its the land around the lake so the monument discussed previously will be at the entrance, we can see the council put a new compacted hardcore path around the lake which is great, however I've been told that the land is actually privately owned , how can the council put a path on private land, does that not open all sorts of legal complications , right of way , insurance etc.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

rasper wrote: »
    Has anyone any information on the new designated park for Tramore , I've heard its the land around the lake so the monument discussed previously will be at the entrance, we can see the council put a new compacted hardcore path around the lake which is great, however I've been told that the land is actually privately owned , how can the council put a path on private land, does that not open all sorts of legal complications , right of way , insurance etc.

Its the plan but iv no idea how long it will take to get things moving. The monument was something unrelated from what I understand, there was finance for some sort of art monument and the County Council decided on that (see thread elsewhere). As far as the land being private, that I am unsure about. A new path was placed there before the elections but its only a rough path.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

I questioned Paddy o Callaghan about the cost of the monument when he called to my door and he said it was for the entrance of the new planned park but then I got sidetracked with a rant about the Zimbabwe style road into Waterford(excited that I caught a human being instead of a flyer), just that I was talking to a council worker who said that the land is privately owned by the fairground consortium and permission had to be sought for a council laid path to be put down, sounds odd from those bare facts, do ya know Sully if the entire green area is designated as this I feel has outstanding potential, I wonder would it have any link to the planning permission granted to the old rail station and proposed shopping centre that was to be constructed before the s**t hit the fan.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

rasper wrote: »
    I questioned Paddy o Callaghan about the cost of the monument when he called to my door and he said it was for the entrance of the new planned park but then I got sidetracked with a rant about the Zimbabwe style road into Waterford(excited that I caught a human being instead of a flyer), just that I was talking to a council worker who said that the land is privately owned by the fairground consortium and permission had to be sought for a council laid path to be put down, sounds odd from those bare facts, do ya know Sully if the entire green area is designated as this I feel has outstanding potential, I wonder would it have any link to the planning permission granted to the old rail station and proposed shopping centre that was to be constructed before the s**t hit the fan.

There was a discussion previous on the monument being related to the art fund for Tramore IIRC, Joe Conway was talking about it in the Munster.

As for the development in Railway Square.. the CCs website seems broken but this would have given you the info;
    http://eplan.waterfordcoco.ie/InternetEnquiry/rpt_ViewApplicDetails.asp?validFileNum=1&app_num_file=061649

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Gulamugas

The land in question was originally owned by John Lodge a local businessman who gave it to the irish tourist authority who were the body before Bord Failte. Bord Failte established a number of Failte companies around the country including Tramore Failte and the land was transferred to Tramore Failte back in the 60's to be used for the development of the resort. Tramore Failte was dissolved a couple of years ago and the land was given to a company to be set up by the county council called Tramore Tourist Development, or something like that. It looks like the county council forgot to set up the development company and decided to hang on to the land themselves, so in essence it would be their property but I know 1 or 2 people who would argue that the transfer was improper and that the land should be dealt with in a different manner. So to answer your question they have whatever right they want to have to do whatever they want with the land

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

Spot on that answers my question , and I hope their plans are put into action soon I love that spot for dog walking when the beach is busy

• Advertisement
Advertisement