Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muay Thai and MMA in Waterford

Options
  • 14-06-2009 11:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

Muay Thai and MMA show in Waterford 18 July. We will be having 8 Muay Thai fights and 3 MMA fights. The MMA fighters we need matched are:
    78kg-E or D Class,
    78kg-C or B Class,
    74kg-B Class.
    The two 78kg fighter are novice each with one fight each and they have no combat sport backgrounds. The 74kg fighter is a purple belt in BJJ.

We also need to match novice and experienced fighters for Muay thai bouts. So you can send me weights and records of your fighters, thanks, you can contact me here or at teamemeraldmma@yahoo.ie

Deise Muay Thai :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Is that the Polish purple belt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭deise muay thai

Yeah it is. We're really struggling to get him any fights.

Shame.. Was that the show that was supposed to be on last Sunday? Was it re-scheduled or is this a different one.

We had a show on a few week ago, all novice and one B class, some good fights on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭paul-2008

Where is this event going to be held?

• Advertisement

The show will be on in the club: 619D Northern Extension IND. EST. Cleaboy road, Waterford. Beside Waterford Weight Training Club.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭paul-2008

admission fee?

€10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

I'm very interested to know who the Muaythai fighters on the show are? I doubt they are fighters from John Walsh's club!

Different club Dave. Although John posts on here, so he could probably confirm himself if any of his fighters are on the card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭j walsh

No fighters of mine or Liam's fighting on this lads, We only fight Muay Thai on Irish Muay Thai Council sanctioned events.
    This event is not I.M.C.

Thanks for the clarification guys but that's what I find confusing, I didn't know there was anyone else training Muaythai in Waterford let alone running a show:confused:.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Siamdragon

Who are the Muaythai Fighter so ???????
    Sounds like someone just using the name MUAYTHAI again as a promotional tool.
    So I just want to Clear something up ,If they are Irish Fighter and not on the Irish Muaythai fight scene they are not Muaythai Fighter,
    if they are we would know them.

All I know is - there are 2 clubs who claim to be MT clubs in Waterford. One is John Walsh's, who I've personally trained with and is fantastic training from a skilled coach. I have no idea about the other club as I haven't trained MT there, just a bit of jiu-jitsu - but in terms of BJJ - that polish chap is very good at what he does. No idea about the MT fighters there or whether they compete or not.

I think this issue has been tackled before - and from what I remember, the instructor was grilled for instructing MT, while apparently not being qualified to do so. I don't know how good the lad is, or the fighters he has produced, but it does seem to be a re-occuring topic - so maybe should be tackled.

Perhaps the OP could clarify the above queries from the lads for the sake of clarity on the issue.

Perhaps the OP could clarify the above queries from the lads for the sake of clarity on the issue.

Hmmm, the silence from the OP is deafening:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

It's very hard not to see this as a group of guys in established Muay Thai circles (Dave joyce and friends) ganging up on a lad trying to run a show. If two guys fight muay thai rules does that not make them Muay Thai fighters? Or do they need a membership book with someones signature on it with another arbitrary body's stamp?

To my knowledge there are no qualifications or tangible credentials for Muay thai instructing/teaching/competing in ireland except street cred. So what happens when the IMC say you're not part of the club?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

It's about safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

Roper wrote: »
    It's about safety.
    Plenty of MMA promotors run safe shows without being affiliated to a governing body. No reason why it couldn't be the same for Muay Thai or any other sport.

This is not not an IMC event, so we dont need or want to contacted by them thank you.

We now have most fighters matched, but are still looking for an MMA fighter for Marcin 74kg (Purple belt Jiu-jitsu) he has had one MMA fight. Also need a couple more Muay Thai fighters or K1 rules so you can mail me your fighters and we'll do our best to match them.

Also Muay Thai legend Master Ronnie Green will be coming on the day of the show for a two day seminar which will cost €25 for the two days and this also gets you free entry into the Deise Muay Thai Fight Night. All are welcome to attend the seminar, Ronnie was a great fighter (world muay thai champion) and is a great guy and this seminar is a must for anyone intrested in Kick-boxing, Muay Thai and getting a little lesson about life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

This thread has gone pretty far off-topic.

I have no problem with posts relating to the OP, or legitimate safety queries for this event.

Debates regarding overseeing bodies of Muay Thai dont belong here, I am not sure if they even belong in SD&MA

** Update ** I have moved part of this thread to the SD&MA board as the MMA forum is not the place to discuss the specifics of muay thai or its ruling bodies. The OP is looking for fighters for a show. Any posts should be related to this subject, the show in general, or follow-up safety queries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I'll 2nd that, The MMA fights is the concern on this forum and not the thai boxing, if you want to talk thai boxing do it on the sd/ma forum and see if there happy to have the debate there.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

we are running a Muay Thai show on July 18th in Waterford and are looking to top the bill with two professional MMA fights. It would be preferable to match two of our fighters-Marcin 75kg (purple belt in bjj) 1 MMA fight and Matchik 78kg (no combat sport background) 1 MMA fight. Both will fight A or B class rules. If it is not possible to match these two fighters we would still like to hold two professional fights using fighters from other clubs. If any coachs would have a fighter ready and an opponent to match their fighter with we could go for that. The winner would get €200 and loser gets €100. We want these fight to top the bill as we are looking to promote MMA in our area. Thanks. I can be contacted here or at teamemeraldmma@yahoo.com

Advertisement