Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strawberry aphids

Options
  • 14-06-2009 11:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

My strawberry plants have aphids! I am 99% sure they're aphids! By the look of it, one plant was infested when I bought it, and it's spread to the others, the badly infested one has only produced 3 strawberries, the other 10+.

My initial plan is to spray the plants morning and night with water which organic garlic and onion has been soaked in for 3-5 days and see what happens.

Any advice would be appreciated, but I'd rather burn the plants than use questionable chemicals.

Thanks,
    Laura

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Befriend some ladybirds Laura and introduce them to the enemy.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 laura27314

That would be ideal! Unfortunatly I'm on a balcony so they'd just fly away, and I only actually have five plants! Damn aphids. If the garlic doesn't get em the drowing I gave the buggers will!!

Google ladybirds and from the info.you might figure how you could provide a temporary home for our friends..certain pants or vegetation that they like or use as a home:fennel or such...best of luck!

My apologies.....Plants

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Squish 'em with your fingers. If you just have a few plants on a balcony, that will be the easiest way. Put gloves on first if you're a bit squeamish, and when you're squashing make sure you don't squash the plant stems as well. Then spray the plant with some washing up liquid and water. (Or dab it on with a brush so you don't get the fruit.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

When I was a kid I went camping with this one boy, our tent was attracting earwigs and being an arachnaphobe I was also afraid of earwigs(anything that crawls aargh):eek:. So this fella had a great idea. He caught an earwig and impailed it on a sharpened matchstick and stuck it in the ground right outside our tent. His reasoning on this was that all the other earwigs would see what would happen to them if they went any further.

You could try this with the aphids, but I'd suggest using a really tiny pin.

Please let me know how you get on with this.

Oh. and no more earwigs ventured into our tent from that day on. And we all camped happily ever after.
    The End.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Suey, advice from a 7 year old boy, who has a crush on a seven year old girl whilst camping !!!!!!!!!!!!!! . Don't really think that one works ? Nice try though. Did you marry him ???

Only joking

Secman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

I'm a man LOL:D. and this happened. Was with the local camping club. good ole days. Think he might have overdosed on Huck Finn stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭mchammer

laura27314 wrote: »
    My strawberry plants have aphids! I am 99% sure they're aphids! By the look of it, one plant was infested when I bought it, and it's spread to the others, the badly infested one has only produced 3 strawberries, the other 10+.

My initial plan is to spray the plants morning and night with water which organic garlic and onion has been soaked in for 3-5 days and see what happens.

Any advice would be appreciated, but I'd rather burn the plants than use questionable chemicals.

Thanks,
    Laura

Check out this forum - it has a lot of info for this

<snip> The forum is garden plans ireland, so feel free to look it up. We try to steer people away from linking to other bulletin boards - the whole point of a bulletin board is to promote discussion here, not redirect it somewhere else. - Majd<snip>

Advertisement