Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bachelor of Engineering in Mechanical Engineering

• 14-06-2009 12:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭

Hi I am and have been looking to do this course PartTime for the last 3~4 years.

I applied a few years ago and got no response so I contacted them the week before start date and was informed that there was not enough people to run the course so I would be contacted the following year.
    The following year I was Not contacted so enrolled myself again.
    Again I got no response so again contacted the week before start date and was inform that there was still not enough people to run the course.
    Third time I thought I had got lucky , again I got no response as usual but when I rang I was told to come in on the night of the start date as the class was going ahead.

I arrived in and was told to follow a group of people to a room, I did this and was surprised when they welcomed the new comers and welcomed back the third years. After hearing third years I asked what course it was as the Bachelor of Engineering course was only supposed to be a 2 year course.
    It turned out to be the Higher Certificate in Engineering in Electro - Mechanical Systems course which is a 3 year course.

I then suspected I was in the wrong class so I returned to reception and asked the girls in the LLL office where the correct class was. they told me I had been in the right room, but due to the fact they again had not got enough enrollment's for the Bachelor of Eng course they had put me on the Higher Cert course.

I had to explain that I was never asked about this and that this was a 3 year and not a 2 year so why would they put me in it.
    They said they thought it might suit me do do this course first then go do the Bachelor course when I was finished to which I then asked why would they think I wanted to spend 3 years doing a Higher Cert course which I obviously already have as it is a prerequisite to the Bachelor.

Last year I decided not to even try as I was still wound up over it and my wife had just had a child so it would have taken to much from the family time if I was not there to help out.

I had started to loose any thoughts of going back and trying again but it is something I want to do so I am going to give it one more shot on enrollment.

Can anyone tell me if this course has ever actually ran in Carlow or is it just offered to make the course list look good??

Sorry for venting but I've got really stressed out about this as you can understand from the above.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

Tumble weeds roll by....@...@...@....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 foxychippy

tombull82 wrote: »
    Tumble weeds roll by....@...@...@....:D

well don't know about carlow it but waterford it has parttime engineering courses which is still not too far to commute.hope it helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

thats true enough but my day job is in dublin so to start in carlow at 5.30, go to dublin, then to waterford that night and then back home to carlow . That would be a horrible spin twice a week. Thanks for the post tough. I may have to look into doing it in tallaght it maybe, its just i would have much preferred to take it locally.

Advertisement