Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scandals and Reports

Options
  • 14-06-2009 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Am I getting cynical or is it true that the real beneficiaries of the Ryan reports and similiar reports are the people - usually highly rewarded lawyers - who write them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

The cynic would say that this is certainly so.

The non-cynic would say that the high cost involved of these things is a necessary cost on the way to justice.

I'd say that the truth is made up of both but in general I'd rather have a high cost to justice (within reason) and have justice done rather than have no justice at all.

sceptre wrote: »
    I'd say that the truth is made up of both but in general I'd rather have a high cost to justice (within reason) and have justice done rather than have no justice at all.

Is there really justice though?
    I mean, didn't Berty Ahern use "A good day at the races" as an excuse for a large amount of money being deposited into his account? It sounds like something a Mafioso would say. And this guy is still a sitting TD who hardly ever attends, and is quite likely to end up president of this country.

Then again, if the people want to vote for a crook they're entitled to. I just wish the tribunals would have exposed the extent of his crookedness to the masses. I doubt 90% of people in this country even have a clue about the findings of the report.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Is there really justice though?
    I mean, didn't Berty Ahern use "A good day at the races" as an excuse for a large amount of money being deposited into his account?
    Ah, well there's the complete weakness in my point of view, it assumes there's actually going to be justice (or something approaching it) at the end of the spending. I don't believe in the karma concept so I totally realise that it's a fluffy pink teddy bear of a point of view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 icanchange49

sceptre wrote: »
    The cynic would say that this is certainly so.

The non-cynic would say that the high cost involved of these things is a necessary cost on the way to justice.

Subsequent posts have suggested that justice is never done anyway despite the high cost. This is certainly borne out in the case of the abuse scandal. The vast proportion of the abusers and a significant proportion of their vicitms are dead and I honestly expect to see little in terms of punishment\assistance for either remaining in both groups. I seem to remember a similiar scenario in the tainted blood scandal and I expect the planning tribunals reports to gather dust also while the gains and the losses stay where they settled.

Sadly I still cannot see any significant benefit to anybody arising from the ryan report apart from the €60m the report writers got plus the fodder made available for the media to fill the airwaves and newspages for some time to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

While no-one would object to the cost if justice was done - and seen to be done - the problem with all these tribunals and reports is that those involved get off scot-free with no sanctions.....

FFS, Haughey got a state funeral despite [IMHO disclaimer] being "sick" every time the tribunal wanted him in for questioning, and dying before it reached its conclusion.

The child abuse scandal was known (hence the prior agreement re damages) but then - after similar delaying tactics - the scale of it emerged and no-one is taken to task over it.

Bertie appears to have gotten off scot-free with his finances.

Bev Cooper Flynn is back in FF after her antics.

etc, etc.

The only one I know that got what he deserved was Ray Burke ?

Expensive talking shops are a waste, but if justice was seen to be done it would be worth it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement