Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where do you buy your games?

• 14-06-2009 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

Where do you buy your games online? and apart from Gamestop Game and Xtra Vision.

Anyone recommend any sites that ship from the UK or Ireland apart from Play, The Hut, ASDA, Ebay, Amazon and Gamesnash?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Play: Slow delivery, prices are a bit higher
    The Hut: Same as for me
    Ebay: Use this a lot, can usually get a bargain, got infamous for 37 euro
    Shop.to: Good, would use again.

Gamesnash are great imo, deliverys quick enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Swizz

Ah I want them cheap. I dont mind waiting a week if its €10+ cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

If the game is region-free, I usually end up getting the Asian version from http://www.play-asia.com/ - even new games end up at €35 or under a lot of the time. They have a dedicated Xbox360 region free section so you know which ones can be used here (usually a day or two after launch, they confirm if a game is region free and add it accordingly). Cheap, but you'll be waiting up to two weeks (or even more in some cases) for a game to arrive. You also can't easily trade them in stores here, though you could always sell them on www.adverts.ie or something. Other than the box art, pretty much all games are in English even though they are Asian versions...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭jomz27

bangcd is the best one... coz their games are very cheap...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

J-blk wrote: »
    If the game is region-free, I usually end up getting the Asian version from http://www.play-asia.com/

+1 for these guys
    videogamesplus.ca are pretty damn nifty as well, it usually lists whether a game is region free or not

If you're buying a PAL game, you're normally better off checking a site like gamestracker which compares prices for all of the major etailers...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

If you are buying bricks and mortar it can pay to shop around. HMV can sometimes be quite a bit cheaper on release day than any other place. Then again sometimes they are pricier. The bricks and mortar prices have evened out quite a bit over the last 6 or so months, but I have got games from HMV for 37E, before getting 10% student discount, on release day. Shop around.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Very true, Prototype was €44.99 there and €49.99 next door in Gamespot (Limerick).
    But HMV also had xbox L4D for €65!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

just looking at the list here: http://www.find-games.co.uk/xbox360/B0015IQG5E.htm

Companys i have used happily, but not mentioned already:

MyMemory: free delivery
    HMV: £2.50 delivery
    GameStation: £2.95 delivery
    sendit: free delivery (part of thehut group)

coolshop used to be under different management ans a different name, but they HAD free delivery to Ireland. Havent tried them since the change, but might be worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Argos, usually pretty cheap, and beats other bricks and mortar, games still have the seals intact. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

For the smaller games (8-10 hours long with little or no replay value), I try and rent them these days.... far more economical. For the longer games (and games with more replayability like the COD series, Guitar Hero games and Rockband games), I shop around the bricks and mortar places and go with whoever is cheapest (usually between Gamestop, Xtravision, Game and Smyths).

I'm buying a few second hand games these days too... got Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts for 12.99 in HMV over the weekend. Great game!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

What are simplygames.com and ShopTo.com like for service?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

I submit a vote for asda.

use them quite a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

normally play.com, amazon.co.uk or cdwow.ie would be my first choices. Ebay is a viable alternative, if second hand games is not a deterrent to you!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I've got the following in my bookmarks for games:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

xtravision generally

Do simplygames.com charge for shipping?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Yep
    INTERNATIONAL Orders for Software can be sent to - Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece (including Islands), Hungary, Italy, Luxemburg, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Slovakia, Spain (including Islands), Sweden, Switzerland. These orders incur a charge of £3.95 for the first item and £1 for each additional item. Most international orders are shipped via 'Signed For' International Post.

I've just ordered The Godfather II off MyMemory.com for a bargain price of £20.95 including shipping. They have even given me £10 cashback on my next purchase. I'm just wondering are there any strings attached?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

VolvoMan wrote: »
    I've just ordered The Godfather II off MyMemory.com for a bargain price of £20.95 including shipping. They have even given me £10 cashback on my next purchase. I'm just wondering are there any strings attached?

they are goin to use your credit card to buy large amounts of timber and carpet.

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    they are goin to use your credit card to buy large amounts of timber and carpet.

I really do hope you're joking!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

it would be gas if he was joking and it happened anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Swizz

MyMemory are good I bought from em before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭tommybrennan15

Ebay or Argos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 xenosnake

HMV charges £2.50 shipping per item, not per order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭kabuk1

I tend to buy from ebay and adverts as I get the best deals there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

ASDA looks like it has some bargains. Do they deliver to RoI?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,328 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    ASDA looks like it has some bargains. Do they deliver to RoI?

yeah, got 5 games last month for about €75, Dead Space, Mk vs DC, Bourne Conspiracy, Fracture and Alone in the Dark. I didn't really need 2 or 3 of them but they were just sooo cheap :(

EDIT:Also it's free delivery to Ireland forgot to mention

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

alot of people give out about Play, I think they are great for games that are a couple of months old. I ordered skate 2 for xbox, sunday night, and i had it on Thursday morning. I also got it for €18, bargain. Got it for half price, its back up to €32 now

Advertisement