Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Party to hold victory rally

Options
  • 14-06-2009 2:41pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The Labour Party is holding a rally today to celebrate its performance in the local and European elections last week.

The party took 132 city and county council seats, an increase of 31 since the last local elections in 2004.

It also gained two more seats in the European parliament.

The rally takes place in Temple Bar in Dublin later this afternoon.

Source: http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/labour-party-to-hold-victory-rally-414784.html#ixzz0IPaJvcS0&D

Am I the only one who thinks this is a bit, odd, to say the least? A victory rally because they did "Okay" in the local & european elections?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Can't belive they'd be that dumb, a sort of low budget version of Uk Labours pre election rally in 1992? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Its a bit meh, but remember a lot of people have put in a lot of work over the past couple of months in particular in terms of organisation, canvassing, managing the PR and so on. They got a good result, and its typical in any organisation to celebrate a good result - to let everyone in the organisation know "You did good - lets keep it up". Depends on how exactly theyre presenting it though. If the "rally" is just a bunch of candidates/campaign workers sinking some pints its one thing, if its them standing behind a big banner proclaiming "The general election is in the bag lads!" then its another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

RTE call it a victory rally, the Labour party didn't

I got an email on it:
    Dear mikemac,

Thank you. Thank you to the candidates - those who were successful and those who in spite of hard fought campaigns lost out.

Thank you to the campaign teams, to those who canvassed, dropped leaflets, fundraised and strategised. Thank you to those who put up posters and those now faced with the prospect of taking them down again. Thank you to those who tallied and those who supervised in some cases into the long hours.

We have had a marvellous result in the Local, European and By-elections and I am extremely proud of how all of our candidates performed.

This Sunday the Party will hold a Post Election Rally to mark that success. But more importantly it is my intention that we come together as a Party to launch the next stage of our Campaign, to set our country in a new direction.

The Rally will take place in the Button Factory, Curved Street, Temple Bar, Dublin 2 (between Eustace Street & Temple Lane) at 3pm, Sunday 14th June.

I very much hope to see you there.

Best wishes

Eamon Gilmore TD

I don't see victory there.
    In fairness, most (all?) parties and candidates will be doing something similar and taking their members & volunteers out for drinks.
    This is just a large scale version.

I guess the venue was the givaway

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

mikemac wrote: »
    RTE call it a victory rally, the Labour party didn't

I got an email on it:

In fairness, most (all?) parties and candidates will be doing something similar and taking their members & volunteers out for drinks.
    This is just a large scale version.

Its completely cocky and stupid. Labour didn't do that well and its only the bloody Locals! Its nothing to shout about. Its exactly a victory rally - the email sounds like "We are proud as punch, lets all get together to celebrate and say thanks".

Its embarrassing that they are boasting about their performance in the local elections and holding a rally to celebrate. Its actually shocking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

They really should invite Fianna Fail to the rally also to congratulate them for doing most of the work!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Its completely cocky and stupid. Labour didn't do that well and its only the bloody Locals! Its nothing to shout about. Its exactly a victory rally - the email sounds like "We are proud as punch, lets all get together to celebrate and say thanks".

Its embarrassing that they are boasting about their performance in the local elections and holding a rally to celebrate. Its actually shocking.

Sully, youre making something out of nothing. I am no fan of Labour, but this is just a party get together where everyone involved in what was a successful campaign gets patted on the back for their work, and is psyched up for the next one.

Its standard management bollocks. Every organisation from amateur football teams to corporate executives do it.

TBH, you doth protest too much. You wouldnt be a Fianna Failer by any chance? I notice theyve resorted to desperation tactics, trying to paint FG and Labour as arrogant, hoping to profit on a backlash.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

There's nothing unusual in that. It might be a new concept for Labour, I don't know, but my own suspicion would be that it's normal practice, just the new thing is that RTÉ is making an issue of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Incredible bias (or mistake) from BN to actually release an article like that.

Such spin compared to what is the actual email that went out.

Just look at the responses on this thread to it. Guess the author wasn't a Labour fan.

I don't think there is anything wrong with what the party are doing. Celebrating a hard fought campaign to acknoledge the effort on everyones part and trying to keep the same people on board for a general election push that they believe to be on the way.

Seems like normal behaviour TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

It's just a motivational get together, keep the momentum going after the locals and keep moral high in the party. They obviously want to build on the result and try to contest the GE as an independent entity on their own merits and not as part of a FG coalition in the run up. No doubt they want as many seats as they can so they will have more influence when the time comes to negotiate with FG after the next GE. I see nothing wrong with it. If they work hard they have an opportunity to relegate FF to the half party player in the 2 and a half party system. They need to keep the membership motivated and active as there's no telling when the next GE could happen.

I'm sure many private discussions will be going on in bars tonight among members about strategy and policies and it will give the general membership a boost to meet other members from across the country in an informal setting.

I see nothing wrong with any party doing this and seriously question anyone who has a problem with it or tries to put a spin on it. It's just basic management as another poster put it. They have an opportunity to build and to not motivate themselves at this stage would be bad management and poor leadership.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Sand wrote: »
    Sully, youre making something out of nothing. I am no fan of Labour, but this is just a party get together where everyone involved in what was a successful campaign gets patted on the back for their work, and is psyched up for the next one.

Its standard management bollocks. Every organisation from amateur football teams to corporate executives do it.

TBH, you doth protest too much. You wouldnt be a Fianna Failer by any chance? I notice theyve resorted to desperation tactics, trying to paint FG and Labour as arrogant, hoping to profit on a backlash.

Sorry, your right. I think that a victory rally for the local elections for the Labour party seems a little daft, especially making such a big deal about it publicly. I see why its being done, great for the party internally and all. Show appreciation for the work done - thats fine. But jesus, going public about it and letting the whole of Ireland know "We are going to celebrate doing good in the local and European elections". Seems a little cocky. Labour didn't exactly excel in the elections!

Celebrate when you get into power, not because you have an increase in power in local government!

I am far from a Finna Fail fan. I would have small support for Labour, but not a huge amount.

Eamon Gilmore talking about the election campaign starting here and that Labour could yet do a deal with FG, possibly. Who does think he is kidding unless he thinks doing a post Spring Tide volte face would be acceptable? Also being on election footing for 3 years will test the will of the most hardy.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

So they're having a piss up because they did increase their vote share and seats in the locals? I really can't see why anyone would have an issue with that. They "under-performed" for a variety of reasons but they did well and their canvassers etc deserve a pint and a pat on the back for their efforts.

nesf wrote: »
    So they're having a piss up because they did increase their vote share and seats in the locals? I really can't see why anyone would have an issue with that. They "under-performed" for a variety of reasons but they did well and their canvassers etc deserve a pint and a pat on the back for their efforts.

Don't get me wrong, a pint for the efforts but the "victory rally" spin and the need for it to make the news seems a bit OTT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Sully wrote: »
    But jesus, going public about it and letting the whole of Ireland know "We are going to celebrate doing good in the local and European elections". Seems a little cocky.
    Who did they tell, besides letting their own membership know? How do you know the guy who posted the story didn't just receive an email he signed up for on the Labour website and decided to post it as it was a slow news day. I get a few emails myself from time to time after putting my email address into their database. I don't see the problem even if they did directly inform the media that they were holding a rally. It's really only an issue to someone who wants to spin it wildly to suit their own agenda.

clown bag wrote: »
    Who did they tell, besides letting their own membership know? How do you know the guy who posted the story didn't just receive an email he signed up for on the Labour website and decided to post it as it was a slow news day. I get a few emails myself from time to time after putting my email address into their database. I don't see the problem even if they did directly inform the media that they were holding a rally. It's really only an issue to someone who wants to spin it wildly to suit their own agenda.

It didn't look like a private bash to me in a pub. From looking at the news, it was very much a public get together in the eye of the cameras. Slow news day and they reported? Possibly.

Its great to see the party recognising the hard work and effort from the canvassers, councillors and the like. Its great they are bringing them out to say thanks. I just wondered why it was made a big deal out of for the press etc. I assumed it was a Labour idea to get the press involved for a public "victory rally".

A pointless rant I guess, no hidden motive here anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Bet they have more fun than the supporters at the other victory rally being held today

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭tomcosgrave

The anti-Labour bias of some of the posters on the Boards.ie forum shines through in this thread.

I was at the Labour function yesterday. Yes, it was a rally, but mostly it was campaign workers and candidates chatting and sipping a pint, catching up with each other and telling campaign stories.

There's no harm in that and no harm in celebrating Labours successes in the local election - our best result in our history, after all - and also no harm in telling the electorate that we are planning on continuing to campaign (as opposed to going away after the election).

If you don't think Labour should celebrate that, then grand - but it sounds like begrudgery from where I'm sitting.

The anti-Labour bias of some of the posters on the Boards.ie forum shines through in this thread.

I was at the Labour function yesterday. Yes, it was a rally, but mostly it was campaign workers and candidates chatting and sipping a pint, catching up with each other and telling campaign stories.

There's no harm in that and no harm in celebrating Labours successes in the local election - our best result in our history, after all - and also no harm in telling the electorate that we are planning on continuing to campaign (as opposed to going away after the election).

If you don't think Labour should celebrate that, then grand - but it sounds like begrudgery from where I'm sitting.

Most of the posters in this thread are biased. There pro-labour and have strong connections with labour. Sure you made history but jesus you didn't exactly run away with it for christs sake. It was a given for Labour & FG to do well in these elections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

Most of the posters in this thread are biased. There pro-labour and have strong connections with labour. Sure you made history but jesus you didn't exactly run away with it for christs sake. It was a given for Labour & FG to do well in these elections.

3 seats in Europe was defo not a given

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

Their local seats went from 101 to 132, a 31% increase. 1 to 3 MEPs, a 200% increase. That's more than "Okay".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

childers nepotism name politics

alan kelly who the f is he and where did he come from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Don't get me wrong, a pint for the efforts but the "victory rally" spin and the need for it to make the news seems a bit OTT.

Based on the email, you can't blame Labour for the spin that was put on it by someone else (a so-called "reporter" who obviously has a bias).

994 wrote: »
    Their local seats went from 101 to 132, a 31% increase. 1 to 3 MEPs, a 200% increase. That's more than "Okay".

Not really. Considering Labour party were flavour of the month and everyone was voting any party bar FF - yourself and FG should have ran away with it. You increased and did well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

mikemac wrote: »

ah ye they were all standing there not celebrating? :rolleyes:

I'm a fan of labour, but not their biggest fan. I voted Labour in the locals (alongside FG btw). I applaud the idea of getting the gang together for a private "Thanks lads" bash (or even a celebration for everyone who got elected, better then each candidate doing his own thing) but I don't like the idea of getting together publicly and running a public "victory rally" because you did well in the locals.

Its probably more common then im aware though, I just dont see it. Its amusing to see the Labour supporters /members rushing in here defending the party and thanking each other. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

"This Sunday the Party will hold a Post Election Rally to mark that success. But more importantly it is my intention that we come together as a Party to launch the next stage of our Campaign, to set our country in a new direction."

Read this section of the email again. The bit in bold kind of puts it all in context.
    You are however underestimating the achievement. While a good result was on the cards, the scale of it was something that surprised quite a few.

I dont feel this event needed defending as its quite normal. It probably happened a little quicker and more publicly than normal to keep the momentum going. Nothing wrong with this at all and cant see why anyone would have an issue with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I'm a fan of labour, but not their biggest fan. I voted Labour in the locals (alongside FG btw). I applaud the idea of getting the gang together for a private "Thanks lads" bash (or even a celebration for everyone who got elected, better then each candidate doing his own thing) but I don't like the idea of getting together publicly and running a public "victory rally" because you did well in the locals.

Come on now this is just getting silly, they hired a bar for some drinks, isn't that all that happened? It was hardly a march down O'Connell st. It seems the only thing you would've found acceptable is a party at Gilmore's gaff or something logistically unlikely. This 'victory rally' stuff has been really overcooked.

Advertisement