Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taste of Dublin

Options
  • 14-06-2009 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

There doesn't seem to be any main Taste of Dublin thread which is a bit odd...

Anyway, I'm heading along at 5:30pm today and would like to know what should I make sure not to miss from people who have been over the last few days.

All I've heard so far is that I have to try the Steak Frites from the Saddle Room.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

It could have been interesting but, IMHO, the entrance fee is too much; I could eat a lunch menu in a random restaurant only with the entrance fee; if it'd been lower (around 5eu) I would have certainly joined.

25 eu just to enter is a ripoff (I know that there are costs, I'm only explaining why I didn't join).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I was wondering about the Taste of Cork one actually. Is there a basic entry fee, and then you have to pay to try all the food? Or does the entry fee cover everything? Are you limited in how much you can try?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I went on Friday with standard tickets, which I bought half price as I thought E28 was too expensive. The steak frites from the Saddle Room are good (but an eye watering E6 for a few chips and tiny piece of steak), but I found the whole affair to be sickeningly expensive and gouging.

I truly regret going - it's not even given over to artisan producers and costs far too much. No one there was offering any value, other than Bulmer's, where a pint cost E4

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

Faith wrote: »
    I was wondering about the Taste of Cork one actually. Is there a basic entry fee, and then you have to pay to try all the food? Or does the entry fee cover everything? Are you limited in how much you can try?

See prices for Dublin here.

It was basically €28.50 to get in the door and then you have to pay for food after that. Dishes range from around €4 to €8.

If you are looking for good value, then it's not for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭NervousNude

I had a great afternoon, but then I got the half price tickets and availed heavily of the wine samples :D I left with a happy buzzy feeling (not entirely attributed to the wine samples!). It wasn't half as pretentious as I thought it would be. Free entertainment wasn't bad either. There were four of us there, all who spent 20 florins (1 florin = 1 euro) each and got 2 yummy bottles of wine between us and about 6 different courses to try. Just sat around on the grass listening to the music chatting. One of the best days of the summer so far.

That said, if you went there hungry you'd be mightily disappointed. It's for tasting, not eating and is quite overpriced. Drinks however could be got quite cheap, Prosecco @ €4, bulmers @ €4, tasty foreign beers also @ €4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,135 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

It's a good event, plenty to see and taste, but the price is absolutely ridiculous.

Like the others here I got half price tickets, but paying €28 in (or even €12.50 like I did) is just way off the mark. Basically it's like going to a restaurant and being charged an entrance fee.

The price of drinks was grand, pints €4/5. Plenty of generous wine samples, and some decent free food samples. Very small portions but you could always go back for more. The food you actually paid €5-€8 for was mostly rubbish, size of the portions that is. Absolutely tiny portions for that money. Oh and that florins system, another shameless ripoff.

Overall quite a good event partially ruined by the general ripoffness of it all. Maybe I'm just boring in general but I find there's very little to do in Dublin normally so I was prepared to pay a bit for a decent evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Was going to head in to this event on saturday, had a look online to see what was going on etc....saw entry fee and the mrs said "there is no way we are paying €57 to get in.

Complete rip off, simple as.

Jaysoose wrote: »
    Complete rip off, simple as.

Dunno why most people can't get past the price. It's not like it advertises itself as "Bargain Taste of Dublin".

The restaurants are mostly high end so paying €6 for a sample portion is about half of what you'd pay for a starter so that seems reasonable to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

I had a super time at this. Got free passes though and some free drink :p

I for one was dancing my ass off to some excellent bands. Had a brilliant time and it was good to see lots of families enjoying it too.

Those lituanian beers were very good and only €4! Got to agree with the price of the food for the amount you get...way over priced but tasty. Will go next year if I can get cheap or free passes or failing that, just go to one of the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

PH4T wrote: »
    Dunno why most people can't get past the price. It's not like it advertises itself as "Bargain Taste of Dublin".

The restaurants are mostly high end so paying €6 for a sample portion is about half of what you'd pay for a starter so that seems reasonable to me.

It's the fact that you're being asked to pay not insignificant amounts for food on top of what is an already expensive entrance fee.

• Advertisement

dudara wrote: »
    It's the fact that you're being asked to pay not insignificant amounts for food on top of what is an already expensive entrance fee.

There was plenty of free stuff in there that easily covered the entrance fee, especailly if you availed of the offers on menupages etc.

Plus an entrace fee keeps undesirables out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

PH4T wrote: »

None is asking for Bargain Taste of Dublin, but I think we shouldn't expect Rip-off Taste of Dublin too; the price was really too high based on what you got; many places in europe do food fairs with very low entrance fees (sometimes it's even free entrance if they are held in a public place).

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

Anyone going this year? Entry Price again is turning me off (not so much the sample prices). Think I might treat the family to a nice early bird somewhere instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Batigol309

Faith wrote: »

They have a website for it. Apparently 10 quid in then you pay for the food...and you have to buy special "currency". Sounds like it might be a bit of rip off..like those food stalls you find on patrick street and grand parade every now and then.

I would still like a look but it is pretty expensive when you think you could get a full meal somehwere for cheaper these days...and not have to stand in fitzgerlads Park..although you could go on the seesaw!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

Does anyone know is it possible to get discounted tickets and how?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

What a joke of an event, I sincerely hope it fails.

Considering it's just a giant promotional event for food companies and restaurants, only in Ireland could and would they expect to charge for entrance, and (even worse) samples.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,714 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

daRobot wrote: »
    What a joke of an event

Sorry you didn't enjoy it.

Even sorrier to you see you sincerely hoping positive things like this would fail, peoples livelihoods and the like...

I went last year, weather was amazing, got a bottle of wine for €4, the two of us crashed on the grass and took turns to go and get really nice food. Great day out, good music, loads of families having picnics.

I found the ethnic restaurants did very well at the taste, the squid from Jaipur was amazing.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Sorry you didn't enjoy it.

I didn't attend. Nor do I think that an event that charges 27 euro per person, and then has the audacity to place additional charges for samples of what they're trying to promote, is a positive thing.

Glad to hear you savoured your four quid bottle of wine though.

I didn't attend

Ah man, you should try something before you critique it!! Seriously, you don't have to gorge and spend a fortune. It's a good day out.

I must admit, I did get free tickets! :D

Wishing an event failure cause you don't like the idea of it is a bit weird! Live and let live I say, if people want to save up and spend their hard earned cash on a day out in Taste, so be it. I believe there is a Taste of Killarney coming up, wonder what that will be like...

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Ah man, you should try something before you critique it!! Seriously, you don't have to gorge and spend a fortune. It's a good day out.

I must admit, I did get free tickets! :D

Wishing an event failure cause you don't like the idea of it is a bit weird! Live and let live I say, if people want to save up and spend their hard earned cash on a day out in Taste, so be it. I believe there is a Taste of Killarney coming up, wonder what that will be like...

Why I want it to fail, is because their business model is a terrible one, and i'm sick of event promoters taking advantage of the Irish public. If it fails, it forces them to rethink their model. It's like paying into a gig, and then being told you need a separate ticket for each song.

It's either :

a) Free in with Paid samples

or

b) Paid in with Free samples

not both, it's a farce running it like that.

I was intending to go to this, i've been buying produce from the Asian wholesalers in Ballymount for a few years now, and am hugely interested in cooking, but at the same time, i'm not a dope, and wouldn't be supporting an idea that's out to milk food lovers, not nourish them.

• Advertisement

Well, if you and other like minded people absence makes them rethink their pricing structure, that's all well and good. However, wishing failure on something just because you don't like it is a bit much. Judging by what I saw last year it creates a good bit of employment and buzz throughout the industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

....their business model is a terrible one, and i'm sick of event promoters taking advantage of the Irish public. If it fails, it forces them to rethink their model......

35,000 visitors @ €20 per head is not really a terrible business model. Add the revenue from restaurants/companies purchasing stall space and you get a pretty penny.
    IMO, they're not taking advantage of the Irish public. The Irish public can think for thenselves and if they think an event is too expensive (as you do) they wont attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

@darobot

While I'm not totally in disagreement with your point of view regarding the entrance fee, your tirade against rip-off ireland is somewhat misplaced. Taste of Dublin is not unique, it is a world-wide business model. Have a look here .

Also at least the Dublin one had a single entrance fee. In London, there was an additional "VIP" area which cost even more to get into i.e. you pay in to the event and then you pay again!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

tallpaul wrote: »
    @darobot

While I'm not totally in disagreement with your point of view regarding the entrance fee, your tirade against rip-off ireland is somewhat misplaced. Taste of Dublin is not unique, it is a world-wide business model. Have a look here .

Also at least the Dublin one had a single entrance fee. In London, there was an additional "VIP" area which cost even more to get into i.e. you pay in to the event and then you pay again!!!

On Liveline now about it and according to Ex TD Paul Gogarty you could buy a VIP ticket for 52.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭HALLOW RUBY

Why I want it to fail, is because their business model is a terrible one, and i'm sick of event promoters taking advantage of the Irish public. If it fails, it forces them to rethink their model. It's like paying into a gig, and then being told you need a separate ticket for each song.

It's either :

a) Free in with Paid samples

or

b) Paid in with Free samples

not both, it's a farce running it like that.

I was intending to go to this, i've been buying produce from the Asian wholesalers in Ballymount for a few years now, and am hugely interested in cooking, but at the same time, i'm not a dope, and wouldn't be supporting an idea that's out to milk food lovers, not nourish them.

Ah will you ever lighten up. Seriously you should go to the event to see that it's not just about food or drink, it's a day out for people to enjoy themselves in a lovely setting. Also the musicians make it a really good event and people were up singing and dancing having a great time. You seem like a typical begrudging type, wanting everything for nothing so you can save for few quid and try and justify all this post Celtic Tiger lark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 MrBroker

Had a great time at this a couple of years back, I just can't justify the ticket price anymore though (especially because they're cheeky enough to add on a per ticket booking fee). Pity you can't just bring a bottle of wine to the Iveagh gardens on a normal day! Unless I'm really wrong about public drinking laws, must look that up!

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

I went along on Saturday and had a great time.
    Paid the full wack in and another €40 on food and drink. Some things were a rip off, Half size Burger from Ely Burger €8, cold, premade and with manky sauce, all in a forgettable bun.
    Other tinngs were great such as the music and the atmosphere which was exceptional.
    Got some yum fudge, a great ginger beer (alcoholic) and great fudge.

Will go again but would be happier if things were a little less costly. However some friends were in the VIP section so they obviously wanted to spend even more money.

Anyone able to answer the original question, how do you get reduced price tickets.

Ah will you ever lighten up. Seriously you should go to the event to see that it's not just about food or drink, it's a day out for people to enjoy themselves in a lovely setting. Also the musicians make it a really good event and people were up singing and dancing having a great time. You seem like a typical begrudging type, wanting everything for nothing so you can save for few quid and try and justify all this post Celtic Tiger lark.

Quality argument right there: Lighten up begrudger.

You really blew the wind out of my sails...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

I'm with daRobot on this one. Not that I wish the venture to fail or anything but I certainly wouldn't go myself. Paying €30 entry and then being sold overpriced food samples by restaurants who are promoting themselves at the event? Not a chance.

I've spoken to a lot of people who have gone. The feedback was the same universally - great day out, far too expensive.

Either bring the cost of tickets down to a nominal fee and charge the going rate for samples or increase the ticket price and make the samples free so at least people have some perception of the value they're getting.

I'm a foodie. I spend a lot eating out, albeit generally not not in the establishments promoting themselves at this event. I'm the target market for a lot of these restaurants and yet I have no interest in attending Taste of Dublin. So yes, in my opinion it's not a good business model for an event unless you're not looking past immediate revenue generation as your barometer.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Talking to someone that was there over the weekend, and she's reflecting much of the opinion from here. Great event, but waaaay overpriced, particularly in this day and age.

Saw a picture from Sunday which she had taken, of a scallop (one scallop), which she got from a stand, that cost €8. EIGHT EURO!!

It's a bit of a rip off no doubt, but in saying that, If I had the money, I'd be straight there, and I'd say it's great in the sunshine.

Advertisement