Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best option for fixing scratched paintwork

• 14-06-2009 3:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

One of the kids took a stone to the car and scratched it all down one side multiple times and across the front of the bonnet. :mad:
    The scratches are fairly (1-2mm) thin and you can see the white underneath.
    The car is black and the paintwork was in very good condition so these scratches are fairly noticeable.

Anyone have any advice about what is the best solution for this type of damage and what its likely to cost? Do I need to go to a garage or is there any good DIY solutions I should try first? Its 3 years old car so I'd like to get it fixed properly.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

Dazzy wrote: »
    One of the kids took a stone to the car and scratched it all down one side multiple times and across the front of the bonnet. :mad:
    The scratches are fairly (1-2mm) thin and you can see the white underneath.
    The car is black and the paintwork was in very good condition so these scratches are fairly noticeable.

Anyone have any advice about what is the best solution for this type of damage and what its likely to cost? Do I need to go to a garage or is there any good DIY solutions I should try first? Its 3 years old car so I'd like to get it fixed properly.

If its scratched to the primer then it'll need to be repainted unfortunatly to bring it back. you could DIY as a temporary job until you can repaint the panel if money is tight. You can get ok results with time and patience so long as you know what you are doing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

If it is scratched down to the primer or where your fingernail catches, touch up paint is needed. Beyond polishing alone. One of those smart repair firms in the city might be able to sort it out, applying touch up paint and then polishing the repair and surrounding areas. (Think Ned78 on here, aka paintdoctor is at that game now, but he is a Rebel). A bodyshop would cost a small fortune. If DIY you would need to know what you are doing, using a kit like http://www.drcolorchip.com/faq.shtml

P.S. Go easy on the kid (if too young to understand), hope you haven't taken out the wooden spoon! Unless a little brat. Sorry for your troubles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

Thanks for the replies.

A friend suggested Turtle Wax Scratch Remover might do the job to remove/cover the scratches as they are very thin. Is this worth trying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

TomMc wrote: »
    One of those smart repair firms in the city might be able to sort it out, applying touch up paint and then polishing the repair and surrounding areas. (Think Ned78 on here, aka paintdoctor is at that game now, but he is a Rebel).

Woot Tom! Thanks for the promo. I'm actually doing the training at the moment (Which is intense, but really satisfying), and I won't be up and running for about a month, but I can offer the OP advise about this.

Get the edge of your nail, and run it across where the paint is, through the scratch, and onto the other side. If you can feel your nail go into the scratch, then yes it is down to the primer. Sometimes you'll see scratches on black cars that look like it's down to the primer, but they can be buffed out professionally.

If it's down to the base coat, a SMART repair won't be much good. SMART means Small to Medium Area Repair Technology, such as a bumper corner, or entire bumper, but a bonnet is a bit much for a mobile repair. SMART techniques could do it, but it would never have the finish that a body shop could do on that size of a panel.

Hope all that helps.

Advertisement