Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm activity

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Just outside Drogheda here. Had quite a few dry rumbles here, but the rain has started now. Stormvue is riddled :)

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Cape values looking fairly decent for ireland for +6hrs time. A nice thunderstorm to clear the himidity would go down well :pac:

Rtavn0611.png

Theres a strong likelyhood of thunderstorms spreading up from the south east overnight tonight and during tomorrow.

And from Estofex...
    Broadly speaken, thunderstorms are forecast from Ireland to the Black Sea and from Poland to Sicily.

http://www.estofex.org/

It's coming :D

http://meteocentre.com/lightning/eur_zeus.gif

See the line over wales of lightning strikes-every 25 seconds-thats 4 a minute-WoW!

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

If you look at that moving radar,you see a clump of the thunderstorms over south wales[and thats what they all are at the moment] heading in a trajectory that will exit out into the irish sea around pembrokeshire and then on towards Ireland with landfall on the wexford and south wicklow coast.

They may well hit Arklow by midnight or sometime after that and surely by 1am.

Quite a fire cracker of a night is possible down here :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

This is more or less confined to the east coast then?

That very active thunderstorm system is headed towards south and central wexford.
    It may make landfall south of courtown harbour-somewhere between there and wexford town I think.
    Maybe a touch north of that,maybe a touch south.It's hard to say but it's likely all of south wexford is in for pyrotechnics and maybe north as far as Arklow but certainly south of Courtown harbour.

The number of lightning strikes being recorded at the moment make this look like a monster storm.
    I'm see'ing nothing at the moment on the wicklow wexford border apart from a wall of cloud to the south east.

This is more or less confined to the east coast then?
    Pretty much tonight but anywhere tomorrow south of Ulster..
    I thought I heard some booming there now so I'm going to have another look.

yup lightning visible now to the southeast!! and very distant rumbles!
    Going to observe more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

Here's a link to a live Wexford webcam, lightning flashing away good-oh!

http://www.viewwexford.com/live/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Love a good thunderstorm, hopeful we get some tonight, chances of Lucan/Dublin getting some activity?

Can see loads of lightning now from here just south of arklow.
    It's to the south and a good bit away but very frequent and getting closer.
    I suspect I will be just to the north of the storm though rather than in it...

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭TheGreenGiant

indeed. alot of strikes been recorded by the isle of wight weather station. looking great for tomorrow, maybe even into the early parts of the morning as the low gets closer to us :D

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

paddyland wrote: »
    Here's a link to a live Wexford webcam, lightning flashing away good-oh!

http://www.viewwexford.com/live/index.html

Some nice flashes going on there alright. That storm looks mean on the radar.

mean wouldnt be the word for it!
    I'm circa 20 miles north of it and I can see constant lightning and even here the low thunder here in the house.
    I'm not sure what it's doing but I reckon the heart to it is heading into co wexford north of wexford town with a centre somewhere near enniscorthy.

From my garden overhead is the edge wall of cloud from it and even from that theres occasional sheet lightning.
    The forks I can see are about 20 miles south of here at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

What are the significance of these strike symbols on the lightning radar, please?

+CG +1C -CG -1C

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It would be great to see some pictures of this event

Saw a fork there a few minutes ago that would frighten the living daylights out of you.
    It took up the whole southern sky in an orange flame of fork.
    Dangerous looking stuff.
    I'm turning everything off here shortly.

Saw a fork there a few minutes ago that would frighten the living daylights out of you.
    Dangerous looking stuff.

sounds heavenly. you jammy fecker:P

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭dublincelt

Dangerous looking stuff.

Whats the chances of Carlow Town getting anything from this current system?

• Advertisement

dublincelt wrote: »
    Whats the chances of Carlow Town getting anything from this current system?

a good chance it will remain active that far inland but for those further west and north we'll have to wait tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭dublincelt

a good chance it will remain active that far inland but for those further west and north we'll have to wait tomorrow

Just started here! Heavy rain at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Dangerous looking stuff.

I can just hear it now, 20 years time or so, people will be saying 'Jaysus, I remember the night Michael Jackson died, there was a fierce thunderstorm!'.....:p. Well it seems to me whenever any significant events of the past are recalled to me they always seem to involve weather, ie 'that day it was fierce hot', or 'there was a terrible snowfall'......:o. There was bad thunder and lightening the day Princess Diana died, remember??

Web_radar.gif

look at the rain rate out of it!!, that's one heck of a storm! i envy anyone experiencing it:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Web_radar.gif

look at the rain rate out of it!!, that's one heck of a storm! i envy anyone experiencing it:o

Jeez!! :eek: Want to swap places for the night? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭TheGreenGiant

indeed. the lightning though seems to be dying down, but there is a heck of a lot of rain! Lots of storms moving in from France and over the Isle Of Wight moving this way. All I can say is roll on tomora ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thunderstorm here right now, on;y my third here in as many years, the rumbles are fantastic!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

few rumbles down here to. Nothing good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Round two here, thunder again, most thunder I have heard in my three years here.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

Thunder went on all night with sharp bursts of rain.
    It never went away,just lulling to low thuds and then back loud as ever.

There was a long bang at around 4am that shook the house with all the doors and windows rattling.
    It's been eery quiet now for the last hour.
    The last really loud bang was at about 730am.

I plugged everything out during the night and with no batteries in the Davis console,no rain was recorded :/
    There was rain falling at times that can only be described as crashing down,it roared water.

Advertisement