Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Two wire speed trigger camera?

• 14-06-2009 4:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭

I noticed that lately there's a few places that have two wires laid down on the road in certain areas (Around Houston station on the way out to liffey valley direction for example there are two). Most of them are where the speed signs is situated.

Anyone know if this is use for??

Maybe some form of trigger to acticate speed camera?

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Such a system could measure your car's speed without a camera. It couldn't ID you however. I've seen a few of them lately in Limerick. I'd say they're just surveying traffic patterns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

5uspect wrote: »
    Such a system could measure your car's speed without a camera. It couldn't ID you however. I've seen a few of them lately in Limerick. I'd say they're just surveying traffic patterns.

That'll be what it is. They are commonly used for that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

one currently on Winetavern Street too.
    there for monitoring traffic volumes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Traffic Census. Thats all it is. You will see at the side of the road(at the end of the wires) is a stainless steel lock box.

The CSO are on their way. Leave home earlier from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,000 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

lau1247 wrote: »
    two wires laid down on the road in certain areas ............Anyone know if this is use for??
    Traffic Counter.

TrafficCounter.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

3 wires and its a speed trap ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭sunshinediver

They're nothing got to do with speed cameras. They measure the volume and weight of the traffic. i.e. weight of trucks using the road. Figures are then correlated with road maintenance statistics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

5uspect wrote: »
    Such a system could measure your car's speed without a camera. It couldn't ID you however.

Not without knowing the circumference of your tyres and how much air you have in them, even then not accurately.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Speed is distance over time. If the two lines can measure independently (tho that may even not be needed) then by knowing the time between signals in each line you would get the speed by dividing by the distance between the lines. Of course the further apart you separate the wires the more accurate it becomes but for a survey. I doubt that level of accuracy is required. Also it would require a fairly high time resolution in the signal processor and wire.

It should have nothing to do with the condition of your tyres. That only affects how fast you think you are going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

DS2 (TruVelo)
    ds2strip.jpg
    A portable attended or unattended trap using a set of three rubber hoses and at one end are Piezo-electric Sensors. Semi-permanent and hard to spot, or a moveable system which is easier to spot. Look for the three strips 1 metre apart on the tarmac, at the permanent sites look for the small grey pillar about two foot high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Why do they choose to do this at the time when traffic volumes would drop well below peak due to schools being closed. Its like they are deliberately trying to fake the stats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Most places I've seen these things appear, you get traffic calming measures put in place when they go.

Advertisement