Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Counties / areas to avoid

Options
  • 14-06-2009 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

I've been living in Fairview, just off to the ballybough and this is not one of the areas I feel the most safe at all times in the day. I can't consider myself to be living in a bad place, as I am just off the ballybough in a moderatedly new development, but still the fact that there's no decent shopping surfaces in the surroundings, makes me want to move somewhere else cheaper and surrounded by better conveniences. However, most of the places I saw at decent renting prices, were in said "less desirable neighbourhoods". Would anyone advice on which areas to avoid? (other than cullock, ballybough).

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Where do you work? Have you looked at Maynooth or Leixlip? They both have bus & rail links to the city centre, aren't too dear, and have a good few shops nearby. Nice area.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭gagomes

I work in the Eastpoint Business Park, close to Clontarf DART station. I don't know about those areas, but I will check them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Ah Ballybough is alright.
    It's very run down but it's not so bad. Used to walk through every day to work. Croke Park Villas is terrrible looking area but never a hint of trouble.

And if you're in a new development on Richmond Road they are many who would strongly question your Fairview address ;)

Head north my friend, up to Marino, Artane or Killester.
    All nice areas and cheapish rent

I could name nicer areas but rent may be higher

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭gagomes

mikemac wrote: »
    It's very run down but it's not so bad. Used to walk through every day to work. Croke Park Villas is terrrible looking area but never a hint of trouble.

And if you're in a new development on Richmond Road they are many who would strongly question your Fairview address ;)

Head north my friend, up to Marino, Artane or Killester.
    All nice areas and cheapish rent

I could name nicer areas but rent may be higher

Thanks, I will check those. I am paying 1200€ and would like to keep the quality. I don't mind whether it has furniture in it, because I got my own and will have to bring along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

*lol* I used to live on Convent Ave off Richmond road and we'd get letters labelled Drumcondra, Fairview or even Marino! :-)

Occasionally we'd get the odd alkie/hobo ringing the doorbell, begging for a pound or "use the phone". As if!

Mind you, I put up with it for two years, as it was the first place I lived in out of home, rent was dirt cheap and it was near the uni. I never felt safe around Ballybough, I would never walk around there on my own.

If the OP is working in East Point, then somewhere on the Northside Dart would do fine - Raheny, Killester, Howth even.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

It's walking home is the trouble, several of my mates have had the **** kicked out of them over the years at the junction with Clonliffe Road by a few scummers

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Folks, whatever about some areas being less desirable than others, can we keep the bigoted stereotypes out of the converation please.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Victor, I genuinely hope that's not directed at me. I live and grew up in working class areas. I'm only passing on real life experiences - I've had four or five of my mates get beaten up at that specific junction, one of whom was found unconscious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

I live in ballybough and its a great area if your not snobbish

Advertisement