Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed. Japenese Maple

Options
  • 14-06-2009 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭

I have a beautiful bright red Japenese Maple (Acer?) in my back garden. It is in a pot and has done well for the last number of years. Last year the leaves started turning white/cream coloured around the edges of the leaves. Almost like rust. I asked someone for help nd they suggested repotting it so I did.
    Leaves fell off in winter as usual and when when spring arrived so did the leaves and they looked brilliant. Now I have discovered the leaves are starting to let little "rust spots" on them again. Any ideas what is causing this? Any help appreciated.............

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

they are very sensitive, are the leaves curling up at the edges too? If so it's probably wind damage or lack of water (which seems unlikely in this weather, but even a week like the hot one we had with a few days of dryness can affect them)

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭NickTellis

Definitely wind damage. Those 100 kph winds we had a few weeks back ruined my acer - the leaves are now all curled up and whithered. Nothing you can do about it this year but the tree will make a full recovery next Spring. As yours is in a pot I'd advise you to move it to a more sheltered spot... I wish I had that option :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 greenfingers

Is it positioned in the sun or shade? Most (not all) Acer's like shade and can't tolerate bright sunshine too well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Sounds like windburn initially, but new leaf falling suggests lack of feed and/or water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Lady_North

I have fed it and keep it watered. It is in an area of partial shade but gets the sun for part of the day. I wonder about the wind burn...... I will have to look for a spot that is more sheltered maybe. It is already in a corner, not in the open. Might try the other side of the garden, maybe more shelter from wind over there. Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I have one of those trees.
    Everything else in the garden can die, but that.
    I love it to bits.
    It is most defo wind damage. They are very sensitive to the wind. They like a sheltered spot out of full sun.

Advertisement