Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To change hairdresser or not...

Options
  • 14-06-2009 5:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭

Howdy gals,

Its a dilemma :(

I love my regular salon. I'm used to the girl who always does my hair and the colourists too, always come out happy. My only reason for moving on would be the cost. Its €155-160 for a full head of highlights and a cut. This might seem cheaper than some places in Dublin but when I notice that other salons are now giving discounts (one reputable place is now doing full head highlights and cut for €90!) I cant help but think I'm being a sucker by staying with the place I'm used to, and wondering why they aren't offering any discounts to keep clients loyal?

I've had a few disasters in the past so its kinda scary thinking of going somewhere else who might give me layers up to my eyeballs or a terrible colour... Is it worth taking a leap to save a few pennies?

Comments

If you love the service, then I think it is a worthwhile expense.
    Why don't you ask for after a discount though? Just to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Ask the girl if she'd be willing to come to your house and do it. She'd get cash in hand and it's more than likely gonna be cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭vixenbees

thats a brilliant idea but i bet she'd look at me like i have 10 heads :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Well it can't hurt to try. Worst she can do is say no. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

I understand that value of finding a good hairdresser who does what you want everytime, but I have a huge problem with paying 160 euro for a head of highlights. that's daylight robbery, and in these times in particular they should be doing everything they can to keep you there. Next time you call for an appointment I would ask them if there's any chance of a loyalty discount/general price drop. If they refuse then I would explain that although you love their work and would be dismayed to have to leave them, you cannot afford to pass up the offer of getting the same work done for almost 70 euro less elsewhere. Even 90 euro is expensive in my book. If they still refuse I would forget about being needlessly loyal. I doubt they're unique in their ability to get the colour/cut you want.

It's your choice at the end of the day but I think you'd be crazy to continue silently paying them that much money. At least try somewhere else once, you might be surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭vixenbees

good advice... i'll have to sleep on it for sure! I think it is a rip off too.. I paid €95 for a half head the last time so its definately time for full head again and im anxious...

if ye have any suggestions for good places with decent prices in dublin or the south east please let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 michele28564

Hi - you should try Elegance hair salon in stillorgan/kilmacud and ask for sam. she is the owner and really great. charges about 120 for full head of highlites. like u i have gone to lots of places in the past and had some disasters but since going to sam almost 3 years ago have not had any problems. she is really good at cutting also

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Sinall

I posted on Fashion and Appearance about Lisa who used to be in Anthony Murrays in Temple Bar. She has recently set up on her own in Kilmainham. She is absolutely fantastic and extremely reasonably priced. The salon is called Hairobics (think she is shortly going to rename it Zinc) and the number is 01 4544225.

In the South East, I would recommend Laura in Karl's in Waterford (next to Monsoon). They are doing various promotions at the moment, so the price is quite good. Jenny in Vibe in New Ross is also brilliant (she worked in Peter Mark's in Waterford for years). Her number is 051 445964.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

The cost of highlights in Ireland is shocking. I go to one of the top salons in Edinburgh and it costs £70 for a half head and £75 for a full head, with an extra £30 for a cut and blowdry. On top of that, they do a 40% student discount, so I pay about £60 for a full head with a cut and blow dry. Compare that to €120 in Cork for a half head!

I'd have no hesitation in going somewhere that's doing a good offer tbh.

Advertisement