Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FORD Focus (2001) car radio

• 14-06-2009 5:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭

I bought a car radio in LIDL some time back to replace the standard radio that came with my Ford FOCUS (2001).

I thought it would be a matter of whipping out the old and slotting in the new. When I got the old unit out, I realised that the 3 sockets at the back of the standard radio are different to the two ones at the back of the LIDL (Silvercrest) one.

Can this incompatability be got around (e.g. converter connector) or will it just not work ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

You can pick up block connectors for them fairly cheaply (around €25) in halfords or a motor factors and then it'll just clip together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Dean09 wrote: »
    You can pick up block connectors for them fairly cheaply (around €25) in halfords or a motor factors and then it'll just clip together.

Just make sure you get the steering wheel control cable too. When I bought mine the radio worked but no steering wheel control and its annoying. There is a cradle you can get that takes up the extra space from the old radio there only a few quid. All got from ebay btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭vetstu

Ebay, about 5 quid for them, search for focus iso and you should get plenty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

you'll also need a dash adaptor, small rectangular piece that fills the gap left by the smaller new headunit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

Thanks for those replies. I already had the dashboard insert - picked up the adaptor cables from ebay for €5.00

• Advertisement

BUMP

The cables bought on ebay arrived this morning - they appear to resolve the connection of 2 of the 3 existing cables to the new radio.

Should all 3 of the existing cables be connected to the new ?
    Did I order the wrong ones ?

Hal1 made reference to the steering wheel control cable. Is this the one that is now 'orphaned' ? If so I can live without it - I hardly use the steering wheel controls as it is.

TarfHead wrote: »
    BUMP

The cables bought on ebay arrived this morning - they appear to resolve the connection of 2 of the 3 existing cables to the new radio.

Should all 3 of the existing cables be connected to the new ?
    Did I order the wrong ones ?

Hal1 made reference to the steering wheel control cable. Is this the one that is now 'orphaned' ? If so I can live without it - I hardly use the steering wheel controls as it is.

That's right, if all 3 ain't connected you'll have no steering wheel controls. I mentioned this above to put you wide about it as I never checked when I was buying mine.

Hal1 wrote: »
    That's right, if all 3 ain't connected you'll have no steering wheel controls. I mentioned this above to put you wide about it as I never checked when I was buying mine.

Thanks
    Is that a seperate buy, or should I have bought an ISO cable with 3 plugs ?

Also, can that be bought locally, e.g. Halfords ?

Thanks
    Is that a seperate buy, or should I have bought an ISO cable with 3 plugs ?

Also, can that be bought locally, e.g. Halfords ?

Yeah, you could have got the lot. Halfrauds might have it, but will probably cost more than it's cost you already. :rolleyes:

Hal1 wrote: »
    Yeah, you could have got the lot. Halfrauds might have it, but will probably cost more than it's cost you already. :rolleyes:

Can you give me a pointer to finding that cable on ebay :confused: ?

I've tried all of the key words I can think of, and all I get back is the same as I have already bought.

FORD FOCUS ISO cable
    FORD FOCUS steering cable
    FORD FOCUS steering loom
    FORD FOCUS steering column
    FORD FOCUS steering paddles

• Advertisement

Can you give me a pointer to finding that cable on ebay :confused: ?

I've tried all of the key words I can think of, and all I get back is the same as I have already bought.

FORD FOCUS ISO cable
    FORD FOCUS steering cable
    FORD FOCUS steering loom
    FORD FOCUS steering column
    FORD FOCUS steering paddles

I found this on ebay. They are all the same price though. Here's the search results if you want to check.

Advertisement