Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA discipline?

Options
  • 14-06-2009 5:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Just been wondering if they should teach more respect and honour in classes such as MMA.

The people mugging you or smashing your face in with a bottle at the pub are very rarelly trained in the old arts such as karate or even Muay Thai. Boxing maybe more so, but again it was never a class for the head.

Just wondering do we really want a bunch of Junie Browning style scumbags turned into killing machines.

From my own experience dickheads attending class usually don't come back again and the person who has the wherewithall and dedication to improve a skill weekly is usually a good enough character.

Anyway, thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I edited the thread title as it was ridiculous.

Your mention of Boxers been more prone to smash people with bottles? thats a terrible statement and your post wreaks of ignorance, most people who train in any art tend to learn discipline and stay out of trouble, and i assume your a kartate type guy,

i personally know of karate coaches who used to drop there lads in real rough areas so they would get in fights and get to bash some untrained morons, thats hardly classy or disciplined, if this post turns into an attack on the sport of MMA bans will be out and the thread will be ended..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 DerKomissar

I perhaps wasn't clear. What I meant was criminals are more likelly to have studied boxing. And that boxing never really taught any of the mysticism etc. of martial arts. It's seen more of as a sport than a martial arts.

The title was done as a joke as I explained in the first sentence, but I don't mind the edit.

And I don't do karate, this isn't some kind of snobbery thing, I do MMA and kickboxing myself, so cool your jets there cowzerp with the 'ignorance' comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

What I meant was criminals are more likelly to have studied boxing.

Absolute NONSENSE. What a stupid thing to say. Alot of people from working-class areas trained boxing, but it doesn't mean that they are criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Once saw a fight between two guys outside my place a few years back, didnt know the guys fighting but each one had a mate with them and i knew who one of the mates was, a complete scumbag drugdealer from way back (who was waving a weapon at the fourth guy during the whole incident).

Anyway the scumbag drug dealers mate had done some MMA training I reckon. Took the other fella down, got mount and was happy to sit there holding his wrists. They stood up again and after some mouthing it kicked off once more. MMA guy (lets call him that for ease of reference)gets underhooks and starts manhandling the fella around. Scumbag drugdealer mate is roaring at him to smash the guy into a window, he then starts roaring at him to hit him. MMA guy breaks from clinch with a hook and the fight ends. Don't think you pick that kinda stuff up from watching TUF or whatever.

So, yes Virginia, Some scumbags do train. :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Anyway, thoughts?

I think your own need more developing first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Just been wondering if they should teach more respect and honour in classes such as MMA.

how do you teach respect and honour?

dlofnep wrote: »
    Absolute NONSENSE. What a stupid thing to say. Alot of people from working-class areas trained boxing, but it doesn't mean that they are criminals.

Oh goody, lets turn this into a 'class war' debate for no reason.

My origional sentence read like this 'boxing maybe more so'.

But was read as ' All boxers are criminals'

C'mon people, I obviously diddn't mean any harm and was trying to engage in a thoughtful discussion, seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I perhaps wasn't clear. What I meant was criminals are more likelly to have studied boxing. And that boxing never really taught any of the mysticism etc. of martial arts. It's seen more of as a sport than a martial arts.

I dont know where you get that, if what you mean is crinimals are more likely to swing like windmills in a fight then you might be right but thats not boxing, boxing is in my experience 1 of the most disciplined of sprorts/arts there is.

And I don't do karate, this isn't some kind of snobbery thing, I do MMA and kickboxing myself, so cool your jets there cowzerp with the 'ignorance' comments

As an MMA person your post is in my opinion coming from an ignorant angle, your basically making out that boxing and MMA might lack discipline because there not mystic! why does that matter..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

C'mon people, I obviously diddn't mean any harm and was trying to engage in a thoughtful discussion, seriously

Well you failed IMO, I think you need to refine your thoughts here big time.

I also said that the type of person who has the dedication to attend class weekly is usally a good enough person.

I just said mysticism etc. as the type of training of respecting each other and yourself etc. etc.

lets see what else, now that I have 50 people all blabbing out about how stupid I am. Ok last time.

I don't think boxing is unskilled, nor do I dislike it. I do see it as a fighting style that gangsters etc. are more likelly to learn

I love MMA, I practise mma and I do not dislike it.

That is all. thanks for all the whining

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭_oveless

Where do you train and for how long DerKomissar?

Oh goody, lets turn this into a 'class war' debate for no reason.

My origional sentence read like this 'boxing maybe more so'.

But was read as ' All boxers are criminals'

Don't make such a prejudicial statement, and it won't turn into a class war.

I train karate at Lord Snobbingtons Boxing-hating academy. You have to be a millionaire to enter and is located in the 26 county Ireland.

Great addition to this forum you are. You'll last long.

how do you teach respect and honour?

Kata, bowing at pictures of asian guys.

I train karate at Lord Snobbingtons Boxing-hating academy. You have to be a millionaire to enter and is located in the 26 county Ireland.

Awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Wow I never knew "gangsters" were respectable enough to stand toe to toe with you insted of waving a knife or gun in your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Kata, bowing at pictures of asian guys.

I used to train in a club out in Ballymun. Oddly enough it the bowing and all that stuff that ensured the skangers never lasted :p

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭David Jones

keeps fingers crossed he doesnt train with me. :D mandatory real names would solve issue, since we are all concerned with respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,775 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

I also said that the type of person who has the dedication to attend class weekly is usally a good enough person.

I just said mysticism etc. as the type of training of respecting each other and yourself etc. etc.

So you think that people need some bullsh*t mysticism aspect to their training (bullsh*t because you obviously dont believe it, otherwise you wouldnt be training MMA, which doesnt have it) in order to learn respect and honour? Do you think that football should have it too in order to stop football hooliganism, or in rugby or in GAA?
    Also, seeing as you wont tell us wo you train with, can you at least tell us do you see a lot of scumbags there? What do they do in or around class that makes them seem like they have no respect?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Judomad

I wish you really did train MMA....................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Derek Coleman

I'm gonna actually reply to his post instead of slaughtering him for saying silly things. :)

I think there are "scumbags" in MMA gyms its just that they dont act like scumbags in the gym because its a sure way to get yourself thrown out. And I don't think any respect they learn in an MMA class would translate into the real world. They would still go out in town and smash a bottle over someones head.

You should be made watch the Karate Kid before you join and told that scumbags don't become champions.;)

I have nothing but respect for everyone I train with and there are certainly no scumbags there. I'm not naming it because my opinions are my OWN ( even though my only crime is not expressing myself very well) and I don't want my gym flamed and dragged through the mud.

football and other sports are not methods of combat. Irrelevant.

My friend was working as a security guard when some girls asked them to help them from 2 lads who were harassing them. When he went over the guy starting shadowboxing at him, screaming and frothing at the mouth throwing elbows and knees etc. screaming that he'd been fighting in Mma and was going to kill him and some other crap etc.

Luckilly, Eventually his mate calmed him down and they left

I just started thinking that I never heard of people on the street being hit with some Karate or Bruce Lee one inch punch etc. and that the new popularisation of Mma might lead disreputable people to practise it.

That's how this whole muckslinging thread got started, I still think my origional post is fairly clear and perhaps alot of you skimmed through it without reading what I had actually written

Anyway, blah blah blah. Probly not going to post again, the end

You should be made watch the Karate Kid before you join and told that scumbags don't become champions.;)[/quote]

Sweep the leg and Get him a body bag!

My friend was working as a security guard when some girls asked them to help them from 2 lads who were harassing them. When he went over the guy starting shadowboxing at him, screaming and frothing at the mouth throwing elbows and knees etc. screaming that he'd been fighting in Mma and was going to kill him and some other crap etc.

Luckilly, Eventually his mate calmed him down and they left

Anecdotal = BS.

_oveless wrote: »
    Anecdotal = BS.

Conjecture, arrogance = work of a small cowardly childlike mind

A friend of mine knows someone who said it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭David Jones

I have nothing but respect for everyone I train with and there are certainly no scumbags there. I'm not naming it because my opinions are my OWN ( even though my only crime is not expressing myself very well) and I don't want my gym flamed and dragged through the mud.

Could you tell us where you don't train then? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Oh please please please let him train with me so I can put him with every big guy the next time he's up!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

258Troll_spray.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement