Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Sun Holiday Destination?

Options
  • 14-06-2009 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi Lads/Ladies,

I'm planning to book a holiday asap, and was hoping for some advice.

I am 31, masc and I suppose as straight acting as they come. I have recently started the coming out process, and well I really want to get away to a sunny destination for a week or so.

I wouldn't mind going to a gay friendly destination, and will be travelling alone. Thing is, this is all pretty new to me, so don't necessarily want to go to a place that's going to be completely in my face either.

Not sure if this makes sense, but can anyone recommend a good sun holiday destination for a single gay traveller?

Thanks....

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,189 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Sitges?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I would suggest Maspalonas in Gran Canaria (Canary Islands) (just down from Playa Del Ingles). It's quite a family resort but has a massive shopping centre (Yumbo centre) that turns into a gay bar/club mecca by night with literally dozens of gay bars and clubs. The beach has a family/straight section that leads to a gay section and finally a nudist section. I have gone there a couple of times and really enjoyed it. You can totally immerse yourself into the scene or avoid it depending on your fancy. I found the bars had lots of single guys there from all over Europe and it wasn't the type of place you would feel uncomfortable going to alone. Budget Travel do good package trips there. The beach itself is lovely and goes on for miles and weather always hot up til October.

I've been to Sitges too but and enjoyed it but prefered Canaries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Iskenderun

Madrid

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

Try Playa del Ingles/Maspolomas near the Jumbo centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭cybrandian

Great, Thanks for the replies lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Bougeoir

Well I've booked a holiday actually with some gay friends to Maspalomas in Gran Canaria and there's supposed to be a huge gay scene apparently one of the biggest in Europe! Some friends of mine went there and really enjoyed themselves. There is a big cruising spot down by the sand-dunes! ;) Barcelona is fantastic was there myself before and really had a great time and there is Stitges a little down which is basically a huge gay resort. It has a more relaxed atmosphere than Barcelona and the crowd is that little bit older I found. Many major cities have "gay villages" like Le Marais in Paris.

Hope you find a good holiday! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Bougeoir wrote: »
    Many major cities have "gay villages" like Le Marais in Paris.

Lol, I'm just back from there. I don't think we saw another couple the entire time, though no one seemed bothered either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 phoenix48

Lanzarote's Puerto Del Carmen would be my suggestion. It has a nice relaxed scene which is not in your face. I have just visited and will be returning in the very near future. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Bougeoir

Boston wrote: »
    Lol, I'm just back from there. I don't think we saw another couple the entire time, though no one seemed bothered either.
    Yeah well Le Marais isn't really a couple spot it's more a "pick up 'n mix up" as I like to call it. Luckily I speak fluent French so whenever some guy starts chatting me up I understand exactly what he says. It's gas the things they come out with. Trust the French for being so dirty first-hand! ;) In fairness the French are über-liberal when it comes to gay things a lot of the time although being overly expressionate about it in France is rather frowned upon, not that they're homophobic or anything just the way they are. ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement