Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motorbike OIL

• 14-06-2009 6:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭

Hello fellow hog lovers:D:D just wondering what oil do ye put into your precious hogs:D:D:D mine could do with some oil its a honda cbr 250 just wondering should i make allowances for anything or will any bike oild do:confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

mine takes 10w40, stamped on the engine in case of doubt, not specifically a bike oil and fairly common. I would look up what oil it takes. For example fully synthetic oil is not suited for some older bikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Hello fellow hog lovers:D:D just wondering what oil do ye put into your precious hogs:D:D:D mine could do with some oil its a honda cbr 250 just wondering should i make allowances for anything or will any bike oild do:confused::confused:

A CBR 250 is not a hog. :eek:

It would be an insult to call a CBR 250a hog. :D

(A title reserved for HD :rolleyes:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

lol.
    Any oil is grand really. Depends on how ya ride it but as long as ya put oil in it it should be grand lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Wheelie2009

seanybiker wrote: »
    lol.
    Any oil is grand really. Depends on how ya ride it but as long as ya put oil in it it should be grand lol.

:rolleyes: Is that the best advise you can give?? Sure why not put 2t or sunflower oil in so?

10w40 semi synthetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Motorcycle oil is DIFFERENT.
    Most oils are designed for cars, and work well in cars, BUT bikes have wet clutches which run in oil and gearboxes which run in the same oil.
    These two circumstances make for a very different type of oil than a plain old car oil.
    Unless you have a dry clutch racebike (in which case you will know that bike oils are different) use a proper bike specific oil such as Motul.
    Stick the car stuff in which only has to lubricate (not allow a clutch to engage in it) and you might just need a new clutch sooner than you expected.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

:rolleyes: Is that the best advise you can give?? Sure why not put 2t or sunflower oil in so?

10w40 semi synthetic.
    I use the waste oil from my Ford Transit to run my BSA because it leaks out the bottom, putting good oil into this bike is a waste of money :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭jmck87

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Motorcycle oil is DIFFERENT.
    Most oils are designed for cars, and work well in cars, BUT bikes have wet clutches which run in oil and gearboxes which run in the same oil.
    These two circumstances make for a very different type of oil than a plain old car oil.
    Unless you have a dry clutch racebike (in which case you will know that bike oils are different) use a proper bike specific oil such as Motul.
    Stick the car stuff in which only has to lubricate (not allow a clutch to engage in it) and you might just need a new clutch sooner than you expected.

+1

I use Castrol GPS 10W40 bike oil in my CBR250. Change every 5-6k kms and you'll get good life outta the engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

any bike oild do:confused::confused:

Any 10w40 bike oil will do. If you love your pork-flavoured CBR250, buy a decent brand (Motul, Rock, Silkolene, Castrol etc.). I'm sure The Honda Centre on the Cork Road in Waterford will hook you up.

Always fit a new filter when you change the oil too.

'cptr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

If reserved for HD,Then Perhaps that title should be changed to Fat Pig...

Q: Why don't Harley riders sit on there bikes with the side stands down?

A: They are afraid of leaning over that far! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

HAHA get lost you she's my little hog:D:Dall bikes are hogs either pig or bore:p:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

Hmmm so if HDs are Hogs because of Harley Owners Group

That makes my Triumph a RAT, Riders Assoc of Triumph

I wonder how far this animal members group naming goes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

Use Halford 10w40 semi-synth myself...does the job fine.

Advertisement