Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Thread Starter' Tag

Options
  • 14-06-2009 6:43pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi

I have been using boards.ie for a long time and find it great and easy to use. However, when reading other people's threads I often see someone reply and have to scroll up to the original post to see whether it was the thread starter (OP) who replied back.

An example of what I'm talking about can be viewed in this thread (macrumours.com)
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=719669

Or perhaps something like what happens with blog comments can be introduced. Every additional post made by the OP could be tinted slightly yellow or something (although with multiple skins on offer I think this option would be difficult)

I think the best way would be just to have O.P. or Thread Start appended to the end of people's signatures or underneath the stars above your avatar.

What do people think of this? I understand fully if this would be too difficult or impractical to introduce.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Yeah, it's a good suggestion. They even have the ability to turn the feature on and off over on SomethingAwful. This probably belongs in Development though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Nice suggestion. I'll move it to Development for the lads to look at it (and obviously anyone else can comment on it there)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Thank you, sceptre.

Sorry about posting this in the wrong forum, I have never made a feature suggestion before.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Sorry to drag this back up, but I'm wondering if it is possible.

Even since originally writing this thread, there have been many occasions where I had to scroll back up the thread to find out the OP's name to see if it is them that is replying later in the thread.

I think the introduction of a 'thread starter' tag like there is in other forums would make the boards.ie browsing expierence easier and smoother.

I will fully understand, though, if this is not possible to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

Possible, yes. If, when, etc, don't have an answer, other stuff on the table at the moment.

Thanks for the suggestion though. When we start looking at user suggestions we'll be looking through stuff suggested here.

Cheers.

• Advertisement

Thank you for reading. I understand that you're busy, but I appreciated you taking time to read this suggestion. Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Hmm... not sure if I want different colours. I reckon the colours would be better spent for other features like mod warnings etc.

Perhaps if you just threw the OPs username into the TITLE tag?

Random wrote: »
    Hmm... not sure if I want different colours. I reckon the colours would be better spent for other features like mod warnings etc.

Perhaps if you just threw the OPs username into the TITLE tag?

I was thinking more along the lines of 'Thread Starter' appearing underneath the tagline (e.g. under where it says 'Modnar' for you)

Have a look at this thread (another forum) for an idea of what I am talking about. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=719669

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I see what you mean. I like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Nice suggestion, yeah. I'd suggest changing the css colour of the bounding box around the user's post to black or some other different colour than it is now, with a possible centered background image on the top bar saying "Thread Starter" maybe.

A lot of coding there though and some css/image work too, if indeed it's possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

They introduced a similar feature on Reddit recently and it is incredibly useful. If it isn't too much work, I'd recommend implementing this.

Really sorry to bump this thread.

Has there been any development on this? I appreciate that the Dev team is really busy at the moment, but I genuinely feel that this small adjustment would make browsing threads a lot more user friendly.

In case you don't want to read through the whole thread again, what I'm referring to is adding a 'Thread Starter' tag, like this (Macrumors.com - VBulletin 3.6.10).
    threadstartertag.jpg

Thanks in advance! Sorry to bother you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

Heya, still not looking at adding to or changing the forums in any fundamental way right now, we're still up to our eyeballs with higher priority stuff.

Again, when we're looking at making changes to the interface, we'll be going through suggestions in here :)

Fair enough. Thanks for replying!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement