Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cricket C&C

• 14-06-2009 6:53pm

Tried sports photography again today at a cricket match. It was difficult as there was bright sun, white clothes and everyone seemed to be wearing a hat! Full set is here

1. 3625985654_186a07e868.jpg?v=0

2. 3625168139_eb5a6f6557.jpg?v=0

3. 3625989782_65f45f14ba.jpg?v=0

4. 3625173987_f79f2af390.jpg?v=0

5. 3625177165_f61da9991f.jpg?v=0

As usual, all C&C welcome and appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

Great set, Really like 3 and 4.

Cheers - getting correct exposure today was a right pain.

Anyone have any good tips? Camera was on Tv, with 1/3 or 2/3 overexposure for most shots. 1/1600 t0 1/2000 for most shots.

Funny shot from the warm up:

3625165733_8afda345f5_m.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,158 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I'd like to see some more space in the photo- they're all very close up. The photo of guy catching the ball could be better with rule of thirds maybe- some open green space to where he's jumping....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I agree, they're cropped far too tightly.
    #4 especially could benefit from more space and to me that is the best shot.
    Where did you photograph this..in the PP?
    I went to Clontarf and photographed Clontarf vs Leinster last Saturday, I was quite rusty and just couldn't capture what I wanted.
    Hopefully for the 2nd time I will be more patient and aware.

http://pix.ie/punkrock/album/345770

• Advertisement

I agree, they're cropped far too tightly.
    #4 especially could benefit from more space and to me that is the best shot.
    Where did you photograph this..in the PP?
    I went to Clontarf and photographed Clontarf vs Leinster last Saturday, I was quite rusty and just couldn't capture what I wanted.
    Hopefully for the 2nd time I will be more patient and aware.

http://pix.ie/punkrock/album/345770

pp? I was sitting on the boundary, just behind and the to the left of the wicket.

It struck me afterwards that I had overdone the cropping. The teams liked them though and I've been asked back to the next few matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

pp? I was sitting on the boundary, just behind and the to the left of the wicket.

QUOTE]

PP in this instance means Phoenix Park, and just behind and to the left could be described as fine leg! (I think!)

Nice set, dont think they are too tightly cropped!

What club is it?

It was the Warwick Med School versus some composite Warwick Team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I know little about Cricket and little about sports photography so the following comments have to be taken in that light.

I think #3 is a mighty image altogether and love your catching of the action here. Also the expression of #2 is wonderful.

It looks like a very bright day and I think this is challenging - while it allows fast shutter speeds it seems to have left you with a little over exposure/burn in places which could be difficult to resolve if you were to attempt to darken.

As a set the crops appear uneven if that makes sense so they don't fit nicely in a sequence (sorry - that is nit picking).

Overall the cropping is too tight to me but that just my personal perspective. I've heard it on here before about sports shots and the propensity to crop tightly. I did often wonder is that a print thing (newspaper,etc.) where space is naturally restricted in which case you try to isolate the subject as much as possible. But there you have it - i dunno ;)

As an aside, my preconceived notion about Cricket was that it must be the most boring sport in the world to watch with breaks for afternoon tea, cream cakes on the green, the reverend minister in attendance, blah de blah, BUT I tuned in (by accident) last night to UK V West Indies (i think) and was blown away by it - incredibly exciting stuff. I had no idea what was going on it it and I don't know was it just really well edited stuff or what but OMG, it was so engaging. That's what my preconceived notions get me - FAIL :D

Had you liberty to move around or were these taken from a seating area?

I had the full roam of the boundary, but since the sun was so strong I just sat pretty much under it so that I could try and deal with the exposure where the shadows were pointing away from me.

I'm new to the game as well and tbh, I wasn't sure what shots I should have been going for! I'll get to do this a few times again over the summer so hopefully the shots will improve but I am kind of hampered by my little sigma 18:200, anyone fancy sending me over a 70:300 f<3?? ;)

The crops were tight as there was a lot of crap in the background which was distracting. It was also white which was causing hassle, but in retrospect, thats just bad composition on my part.

• Advertisement

Comment from my girlfriend when she saw the set thumbnails:

Why did you spend the day taking pictures of men's crotches?

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kgpixels

good set. you really captured the ation

Advertisement