Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dodgy behavior from a barber?

Options
  • 14-06-2009 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not loyal to any barber, I go anywhere.
    And when they finish up they use a razor on the back of my neck.

It's an old-fashioned one, called a cut-throat razor I believe.

And none of them sterilize it, they just pick it up off the counter and use it me.
    Now you may say they cleaned it after the last person but I often have to sit and wait my turn and it's the same unwiped razor they used on the lad before me. And possibly all the customers before him.

I'm no cleanliness freak but this seems dodgy to me. Extremely so!

Is this common and would I bet out of place to ask them sterilize it?
    It's just that I don't see barbers doing this so maybe they see it as normal and I'm the one being awkward. :(

I'm very slow to speak or complain so I'm hoping to find out what normally happens.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Disposable blade replaced infront of you in the place I go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

most places use a disposable blade in these newer "cut-throat" razors and it can be replaced in a matter of a few seconds so is it possible you missed this blade being replaced? afaik using a leather strap to sharpen the blade is now banned on health grounds and i also thought thet using the older type open razor was also banned?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

foggy_lad wrote: »
    i also thought thet using the older type open razor was also banned?

Nope, straight blade razors are still legal as are safety razors.

You can readily buy them through Ireland and Europe both on-line and in shops, straight razor (aka cut-throat) tends to be pretty expensive for a good quality one.

They should be cleaning it between uses imho

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

OP, are you sure it was a proper 'straight' and not a Shavette?

Most Barbers will quote 'Insurance and liability' issues with the reason for not using an old fashioned straight razor. Too risky for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

as a kid it was a regular thing at the end of every hair cut to get my neck done with a straight. In these times i'm cutting my own hair or getting dad to do it :D

But in the recent times i've been to the barbers (I had very long hair for many years so no need for a barber then) I've had to ask for my neck to be done with a straight and this was in several different places. And it came from the containter of sterilising fluid.

I did ask one girl about it and was told the same thing as Amalgam said above, crazy thing is this had been a tool of the trade for decades and beyond and in these modern times it's suddenly become really dangerous and hikes up your insurance :confused:

OP : I wouldnt be happy in that situation either but would have no problem asking them to use a clean razor, the reason this barber does this is because no one says anything, speak up next time, you dont need to make a fuss , just say it in a very matter of fact way "oh do you mind using a clean one please" or something similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

calex71 wrote: »
    In these times i'm cutting my own hair or getting dad to do it :D
    Yeah, I haven't been to a barber in ~15years. Its very easy to cut your own once you get the hang of it. And now they have razors specifically for it.

both on offer

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4426051/Trail/searchtext%3EHAIR+CLIPPER.htm

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/0545345/Trail/searchtext%3EHAIR+CLIPPER.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I cut my own hair too, havent been to a barber in about 5 years, it really is the way to go, you can experiment all you want with different lenghts and get it exactly the way you want it, since most barbers dont understand that "a trim" doesnt mean "a 1 blade all over and make me look like a knacker" I dont trust most of them

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

calex71 wrote: »
    I did ask one girl about it and was told the same thing as Amalgam said above, crazy thing is this had been a tool of the trade for decades and beyond and in these modern times it's suddenly become really dangerous and hikes up your insurance :confused:.

While it was around for years before all it took was some muppets suing for minor cuts and it ****ed it for everyone insurance wise

Advertisement