Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paul Mccartney appreciation society!

Options
  • 14-06-2009 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭

Im thinking of founding a Fab Macca appreciation society in Dublin If anyone wants to join let me know. I have been a fan of Macca since 1981(Pipes of Peace). I feel he got a raw deal critically. His first two solo albums Mccartney and Ram were panned at the time only now, to held up as examples of some of his best work!

Once Lennon was shot he was destined to be be under the shadow of his former songwriting partner-a state of affairs that lasted for the 1980s and 1990s. However,recently I think the musical press has mellowed towards him, helped no doubt by his recent musical output which has shown a real renaissance-Chaos and creation in the backyard,Memory almost full and his brilliant alternative music under the pseudonym of the Firemen (the album title escapes me)-all great albums.

Anyone interested in meeting occasionaly to discuss the excellence of this man's music?

Comments

I think the mellowing of the music press towards him owes more to his personal tribulations, rather than the quality of his recent output. The last two solo albums have struck me as inoffensive, pleasant guitar pop.
    I'm glad he got rid of the mullet though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Badboy1977

You are as entitled to your personal view on these albums, but I think they are excellent. Inoffensive? Would you like him to curse or something?! Write a protest song-what did protest music ever achieve?! He did write a few "Give Ireland Back to the Irish"

I dont think the music press gave him four/five star reviews because he got a divorce.

So i guess I'm barred from the Macca appreciation society....:(

Have fun with it mate, it is good to see genuine passion for music

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Badboy1977

You are welcome to join-fair criticism is always welcome. You should listen to "Electric arguments" under his Pseudonym The Fireman.Its done with YOUTH.Not sure who he is but into sonic musuc and the like. It's a real devil may care what I do album.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I really dislike him. I find him possibly the most annoying smarmy git out there. And i'm basing this on the numberous documentaries my friends and i watched on them.
    what a slappable face

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t64YWKvsUsU&feature=related

4mins in or so. Comic gold.

John stood there - guurrlll.

/end rant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

lordgoat wrote: »
    I really dislike him. I find him possibly the most annoying smarmy git out there.

I think the OP is generally talking about his music. You dont have to like the person to appreciate their music.

I'm not a McCarthney expert. Apart from his early solo albums after the Beatles split up, I'm only generally familiar with his Beatles songs. Most of them were master pieces. I think he's earned his right to be "annoying and smarmy" ;) (which BTW, I dont think he is).

Rigsby wrote: »
    I think the OP is generally talking about his music. You dont have to like the person to appreciate their music.

I'm not a McCarthney expert. Apart from his early solo albums after the Beatles split up, I'm only generally familiar with his Beatles songs. Most of them were master pieces. I think he's earned his right to be "annoying and smarmy" ;) (which BTW, I dont think he is).

I know all this, he brings out the worst in me.

BTW I don't think i'll ever understand how you can earn the right to be annoying and smarmy. I believe it's just inherent.

BTW I don't think i'll ever understand how you can earn the right to be annoying and smarmy. I believe it's just inherent.

I agree. It was just a "tongue in cheek " remark. :)

You have not said what you think of his music :confused:

Personalities apart, McCarthney's music always appealed to me more than Lennon's. Even though the Beatles songs had both names credited, it was generally easy to tell who wrote (or contributed the most to ) the songs.

Rigsby wrote: »
    I agree. It was just a "tongue in cheek " remark. :)

You have not said what you think of his music :confused:

Personalities apart, McCarthney's music always appealed to me more than Lennon's. Even though the Beatles songs had both names credited, it was generally easy to tell who wrote (or contributed the most to ) the songs.

Tbh i'm not that big a beatles fan either and it's mainly down to him. Personal opinion makes me think his voice is whiny and tinny. I will say i have a great love for a few of their odder songs - Rocky Racooon, Bungaloe Bill etc.

But he really grates one me. I just find him very false and playing to a crowd/interviewer all the time.

I am by no means belittling their contribution to music, I of course respect that, while i may not listen to alot of it frequently.

I should have put in a nit about his music in my first post.

Tbh i'm not that big a beatles fan either and it's mainly down to him. Personal opinion makes me think his voice is whiny and tinny. I will say i have a great love for a few of their odder songs - Rocky Racooon, Bungaloe Bill etc.

But he really grates one me. I just find him very false and playing to a crowd/interviewer all the time.

I am by no means belittling their contribution to music, I of course respect that, while i may not listen to alot of it frequently.

I should have put in a nit about his music in my first post.

While I am definitely a big Beatles fan, I dont eat, sleep and drink, the Beatles like some do. IMO, McCarthney, along with Harrison (the most under rated) contributed the most by way of their playing abilities. Without McCarthney's lovely bass lines, the songs would not have sounded near as good.

Funny how two people can differ so much. The main reason I like the Beatles is because of McCarthney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

Oh yeah, whatever.

When Paul McCartney was asked about John Lennons murder the day after, he said: "Its a drag, isn't it?"

Imagine that, a musician ten times better than the man gets murdered and all he could say was "Its a drag".

Wow, for such a good songwriter (sarcasm) that's the best he could come up with, for Gods sake . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

It's actually physically impossible apparently to discuss Paul McCartney without Saint John being brought up :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

vflhp wrote: »
    Oh yeah, whatever.

When Paul McCartney was asked about John Lennons murder the day after, he said: "Its a drag, isn't it?"

Imagine that, a musician ten times better than the man gets murdered and all he could say was "Its a drag".

Wow, for such a good songwriter (sarcasm) that's the best he could come up with, for Gods sake . . .

John Lennon is the most over-rated musician of all time.

The Beatles worked because of the dynamic between Paul and John, so i can't dismiss Lennon altogether, but the wife beating, child-ignoring, womanising, self centred hypocrite junkie doesn't come close to Paul, imo.

McCartney is an amazing talent.

Frog Chorus/Mull of Kyntire mention in 5,4,3,2...

John Lennon is the most over-rated musician of all time.

The Beatles worked because of the dynamic between Paul and John, so i can't dismiss Lennon altogether, but the wife beating, child-ignoring, womanising, self centred hypocrite junkie doesn't come close to Paul, imo.

McCartney is an amazing talent.

In a thread focusing on Paul McCartney, you call Lennon an over-rated junkie? My God, you have to look at McCartney. As mentioned: The Frog Chorus: That sums it up as the worst song ever released, by an over-rated musician who coincidentally was part of The Beatles. Not only could The Beatles have been ten times better without McCartney, but it was The Great Paul who destroyed the band with his over-controlling nature.

If it was only Paul who was shot and died. He is the biggest waste of space upon this earth and I long for the day he passes on.

Yeah, not John and his heroin-induced laziness

And I mentioned the Frog Chorus because it's a cheap, obvious crack that every anti-McCartney thread inevitably brings up.

Believe me, there are worse things in Lennon's back catalogue. They're usually not only bad, but patronising as well.

Driver 8 wrote: »
    Yeah, not John and his heroin-induced laziness

And I mentioned the Frog Chorus because it's a cheap, obvious crack that every anti-McCartney thread inevitably brings up.

Believe me, there are worse things in Lennon's back catalogue. They're usually not only bad, but patronising as well.

John Lennon has a song that you've probably heard of. Its a song called Imagine. It has repeatedly appeared in "Greatest Song Ever" lists, and IMO is the best song ever.

Every solo artist has a few bad songs in their collection, but McCartney is the only solo artist that I know that I can honestly say "Wow, the biggest load of Bullsh*t I've ever heard". I'm not referring to McCartney in that statement. Nor an album, or just a single. I'm talking about the disturbing and horrible noise that makes up his collection.

Hey Jude, Yesterday, Live and Let Die, Maybe I'm Amazed, I Saw Her Standing There, Back in the USSR, and so on, and so on....

Imagine? A vague communist manifesto set to boring music? ;)

"Imagine no possessions, I wonder if you can" thank you mr. multi millionaire for giving us your wonderful utopian vision.

You want noise? I believe some of John and Yoko's work will do you nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 9,135 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

If only Paul appeared naked on the cover of one of his albums, we could measure their cocks too then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

There is no doubting Macca's talents as an artist , both as a songwriter with Lennon , his bass playing on all the early hits /albums not to mention some great stuff on Abbey road .

Then there is the high falsetto voice on tracks such as All my loving , Cant buy me love, The Night before ,She's a womon ,Get back and many others .

I particuarly am very fond of his post beatle song , Another day which was released around same time as Imagine in 1970 .

Then if you take his Wings stuff , silly love songs, band on the run , jet , coming up , HI HI HI , my love ......any of these would have fit onto a Beatles album .

But if I was to find fault with him it would be that for every 2 or 3 good tracks on an wings/macca solo album ,there are 5 or 6 right crappy ones which proves even his limitations as a songwriter .

I think both he and Lennon suffered as individual songwriters were as together , they gelled .

The most humble thing I ever heard McCartney say in an interview was '' the Beatles were a neat little pop group , no more no less '' .

Coming from such an ego manic as himself ,that was some statement .

Psst ......I liked Imagine when it first came out and as big a fan of John as I am of Paul.

Now it's such a dreary song , I dont mind if I never hear it again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

John Lennon has a song that you've probably heard of. Its a song called Imagine. It has repeatedly appeared in "Greatest Song Ever" lists, and IMO is the best song ever.

Every solo artist has a few bad songs in their collection, but McCartney is the only solo artist that I know that I can honestly say "Wow, the biggest load of Bullsh*t I've ever heard". I'm not referring to McCartney in that statement. Nor an album, or just a single. I'm talking about the disturbing and horrible noise that makes up his collection.

I really don't get the hype about imagine. It's fine for what it is, but it's a dreary, hackneyed tune about a self-obsessed millionaire telling us proles how great it would be to be equal. Cheers John, you sanctimonious bastard.

Anyhow, I admit I'm biased against the guy, shooting up heroin and beating his wife just makes me dislike him slightly. The fact that it was Paul, and not John, who helped Cynthia and Julian Lennon, when John ****ed off on them tells me enough about what type of clown Lennon was.

I'll put it like this, say you've a mate. He's not very talented, he does a lot of drugs, cheats on his wife, beats her, ignores his son, leaves them broke while he has a string of affairs, eventually, he ****s off to another country and leaves them in the lurch, you'd probably think the guy was a bastard. Just cause Lennon wrote some nice words doesn't change the fact he was a complete cúnt. If Instant Karma actually existed, he'd have been shot some time back in the mid 60's.

Anyhow, back to Paul, the guy is one of the greatest musicians of all time. Yes, he has plenty of crap in his solo career, I'd like to blame Lynda for it, but deep down I know it's because he didn't have to face George and John with his horrible lyrics. Still though, he's on a different level musically to John.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Paul never lost touch with his roots although some might say he 'over used them ' at times , to touch base with his fans .Lennon on the other hand never had that grounding and lost any sense of normality when he hooked up with Yoko ,well that's how I see it .

An example of the differences in both men , Paul was playing around with his kid one day , all goo goo goo , like normal fathers do and the kid was loving the attention . John turned to Paul and said how do you do that ? like make the kid laugh? Paul was puzzled at this .:confused:

Human interaction,even with a child ( unless it was in front of a mmicrophone) never came easy to John .His own upbringing had a lot to do with that .He was a better, more hands on father towards Sean than he was towards Julian

opps ...realise this is a macca appreciation society thread :cool:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t64YWKvsUsU&feature=related

4mins in or so. Comic gold.

John stood there - guurrlll.

/end rant.

Why's that comic gold?

I long for the day he passes on.

I accept and respect that you dont like McCarthney, but IMO this is OTT and uncalled for.

No one is forcing you to listen to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

If Instant Karma actually existed, he'd have been shot some time back in the mid 60's.

*coffee/screen/keyboard/splutter*

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

Where are you all going with this.... I'll join you OP

pinksoir wrote: »
    Why's that comic gold?

To me, i just think he's all posture. I find little things like that interview hilariously funny. Mainly because i find him so annoying that i laugh at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

To me, i just think he's all posture. I find little things like that interview hilariously funny. Mainly because i find him so annoying that i laugh at it.
    Fair enough. I buy into the whole Beatles mythology thing though, because I love them and they are to me the best band evarrr.

That said I don't really have much time for Paul as a personality, I think he's a cheesemonger of the highest order, nor do I think much of his solo output. McCartney, Ram and McCartney II have a lot of good stuff on them, Wings I liked when I was younger but not really now at all, and any of his recent stuff I can hardly listen to - it's much too twee and trite.

My reckoning is that it took the four of the Beatles in order for their output to be so good. The competition between John and Paul in particular, but also the role of George as understudy to them both. George Martin's influence cannot be praised highly enough either. Oh, and Ringo (well he was the best backbeater in the world at one time, and no one else sounds anything like him...)

Whatever about Paul being a gob****e, he was a ridiculous songwriter back in the 60's, and his bass playing was second to none - intuitive, inventive, technically brilliant, and quite unlike anyone else's.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,135 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Whatever about Paul being a gob****e, he was a ridiculous songwriter back in the 60's, and his bass playing was second to none - intuitive, inventive, technically brilliant, and quite unlike anyone else's.

+1

Yes, he's a complete twat these days but he was just ridiculously good at what he did back in the 60s. He gets my appreciation for that anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

and his bass playing was second to none - intuitive, inventive, technically brilliant, and quite unlike anyone else's.

As much as I like Macca (and I like him loads) - Anyone who thinks his bass playing was second to none either.....

a) Knows sweet FA about the bass guitar

or

b) Has never heard of this guy

But back on topic......as a singer/songwriter I think Macca is great.

Advertisement