Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paul Mccartney appreciation society!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

I'm not gonna diss John Entwhistle as a bass player, but using a youtube clip called 'Bass solo' isn't gonna do anything. Except remind me of this joke.

"This guy goes on vacation to a tropical island. As soon as he gets off the plane, he hears drums. He thinks "Wow, this is cool." He goes to the beach, he hears the drums, he eats lunch, he hears drums, he goes to a luau, he hears drums. He TRIES to go to sleep, he hears drums. This goes on for several nights, and gets to the point where the guy can''t

sleep at night because of the drums. Finally, he goes down to the front desk. When he gets there, he asks the manager, "Hey! What''s with these drums. Don''t they ever stop? I can''t get any sleep."

The manager says, "No! Drums must NEVER stop. Very bad if drums stop."

"Why?"

"When drums stop...bass solo begins"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

I'm not gonna diss John Entwhistle as a bass player

Good job too!! **shakes fist in angry old man manner**

"This guy goes on vacation to a tropical island. As soon as he gets off the plane, he hears drums. He thinks "Wow, this is cool." He goes to the beach, he hears the drums, he eats lunch, he hears drums, he goes to a luau, he hears drums. He TRIES to go to sleep, he hears drums. This goes on for several nights, and gets to the point where the guy can''t

sleep at night because of the drums. Finally, he goes down to the front desk. When he gets there, he asks the manager, "Hey! What''s with these drums. Don''t they ever stop? I can''t get any sleep."

The manager says, "No! Drums must NEVER stop. Very bad if drums stop."

"Why?"

"When drums stop...bass solo begins"

:D:D Not bad, but don't give up the day job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

With regards to bass solos (and solos in general ) most people dont like them. There was a recent thread on solos on a bass forum. The majority did not like playing them, probably because they realise that the vast majority of an audience dont like bass solos.

I dont want to get into a "McCarthney v Entwhistle" discussion, except to say they are/were both great, but both had a different approach to the instrument. IMO, McCarthney's genius as a bassist was not so much in his technique, but in his ability to come up with great bass lines (just like his mentor James Jamerson), that complimented, and in a lot of the Beatles songs, brought them to life.

Playing a bass solo at 100 MPH, and showing that you have technique to burn, (not talking about Entwhistle here), does not a great bassist make. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

McCartneys bass technique , so evident on all the beatles records ,was different to anything that was around .You instantly recognise a McCartney bass riiff .One example ie, Getting Better from Sgt Pepper album

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Yeah - the point I was trying to make about McCartneys bass playing is that they were almost mini-tunes in themselves. He understood that the bassline had to underscore the rhythm of the tune, but that there was nothing wrong with a bit of inventiveness shining through without it taking over the whole song. Thus, say, Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds has a great bassline. I probably couldn't hum it now, but I can hear it doing something 'else' when i hear the record.

On the other hand, he was an attention whore on 'Silly Love Songs' with Wings, but then, with a bassline that catchy, who could blame him. I say this as somebody, by the way, who doesn't particularly like the song after the first 30 seconds or so!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Glassheart

Anyhow, I admit I'm biased against the guy, shooting up heroin and beating his wife just makes me dislike him slightly.

He never 'beat' Cynthia Lennon.He hit her once and deeply regretted it.I'm not saying this is ok but there is a difference between what he did and being a wife beater.
    The fact that it was Paul, and not John, who helped Cynthia and Julian Lennon, when John ****ed off on them tells me enough about what type of clown Lennon was.

How exactly did he help them?Certainly not financially...He visited them once after the seperation and then wrote a song about it.
    I'll put it like this, say you've a mate. He's not very talented,

You need to get your ears checked.:pac:
    he does a lot of drugs,
    Didn't they all?
    cheats on his wife,
    Try and find the story on how McCartney broke up with Jane Asher...
    ignores his son,
    Look at Lennon's childhood.I don't admire his parenting skills but people are the way they are for a reason...
    leaves them broke
    Lennon very stupidly told Cynthia to take whatever she wanted.For whatever reason she decided to take feck all.

I can only conclude that you read that stupid Albert Grossman book.
    I never considered him to be any kind of saint but it never changed the way i listened to Across the Universe or A Day in the Life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Glassheart wrote: »

You need to get your ears checked.

My point was if you separate Lennon the person from the songs he wrote, he's a dick. If it was one of your mates you'd think him a tool.

Writing decent songs doesn't make him less of a dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

My point was if you separate Lennon the person from the songs he wrote, he's a dick. If it was one of your mates you'd think him a tool.

You can't really say that in any objective sense. He would probably think you a tool. In the world a lot of people are unpalatable to others, that's the nature of people.

Any interviews I've heard from him (a lot), I've found him to be very intelligent, witty, cynical, self deprecating, insightful, and basically a very interesting public figure. I don't know enough about the reality of his private life, only that which was publicised in the media, so I would never presume to make speculative comments about him.

Have you ever, for example, listened to the Wenner tapes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

My point was if you separate Lennon the person from the songs he wrote, he's a dick.

Exactly .I was a Lennonite ( excuse the corny discription) all through my teens ,twentys and thirites .It was the macho image as much as the music I digged in the guy .Then over the years after much in depth reading about him and listening to him in many many taped interviews (including the wenner tapes ) I realised a lot of his persona was built around his hugh ego ,an ego that was fed all through beatlemania and his solo years induced by years of drug abuse with LSD Marajuana and Heroin , in which he himself openly addmited to .Sometimes an incident told in one book by him or about him , would be contradicted in another .But you eventually read between the lines and get to see some picture that is near enough to the truth .That might be said about all the Beatles and the Beatles myth .

He wasn't a nice guy to be around a lot .His own self indulgence and paronia had a lot to do with that which may have being an extension of the chip on his shoulder he had since a youth . ( expressed in so many of his songs ) As for Lennons songwriting ,he is up there with the greats .Both L&M together as songwriters complimented each other and that's what made the Beatles tick .

Imagine 6 apartments
    It isin't hard to do
    One is full of fur coats
    The other's full of shoes .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

All this talk of personalities..........."John Lennon was this... McCarthney was that..." has me puzzled and amused. :rolleyes: Why does anyone give a **** what their personalities were like, unless you want to marry or live with them ? :D ( OK, I know Lennon is dead, so this does not apply to him :P ). It's their music that should matter most. If you don't like it, then there's lots of alternatives out there, so there's no need for you to listen. If you do like Macca's music, then join the OP's fan club. I cant understand why people would get their knickers in a twist over the personality of some one they did not personally know, and why that would put them off from listening to their music.

Bottom line for me is, if you like their music either as soloists or as Lennon/McCarthney... great. If not then look somewhere else.

Simple, is it not ???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

pinksoir wrote: »
    You can't really say that in any objective sense.

Fair enough, subjectively, I choose to view all wife-beaters as dicks. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe some women deserve it, but as far as I'm concerned it's a simple rule "you beat your wife, you're a dick".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Glassheart

Fair enough, subjectively, I choose to view all wife-beaters as dicks. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe some women deserve it, but as far as I'm concerned it's a simple rule "you beat your wife, you're a dick".

He wasn't a wife beater.
    But don't take my word for it,take Cynthia Lennons...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Badboy1977

Some interesting posts here to say the least. Paul Mccartney had some very good solo albums

Mccartney
    RAM
    Band on the RUn
    Wings at the Speed of Sound
    London Town
    Tug Of war.
    Flowers in the Dirt
    Flaming Pie

Before anybody comments on him further ,please at least let us know that you have listened to at least one of these albums from start to finish.
    There are a lot of posts about John Lennon here-he merits his own thread but I really did not want to get into a Lennon Vs Mccartney debate. Both made the Beatles-end of story. Lennon died 1980-thus unfair to even begin trying comparing their respective solo output unless you want to base it soley on the years 1970-75 .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Oh, please. You sound like a tabloid. Why don't you try and educate yourself on the facts rather than be sensationalist?

Electronic arguments is the best non mainstream album I have listended to this year . Though I have listed a great collections of albums I will admit that he has produced some crap in his career but not as much as some make out. Wings Wild life is probably an example of it as is Mccartney 2 though it has three or four good tracks.
    He did allow his "I'm Paul Mccartney" ego to overrule his innate talent at times,probably indulging his himself to the detriment of his output, but on balance his work as an entire body could be classified as good bordering on great.

Is his solo output as good as his work with the Beatles? It has to be remembered he only at most had to write half an album with the Beatles while on his own he was responsible for most of it,that allowing ,his Beatles stuff was better quality. However,in my humble opinion most artists produce their best work in their first decade. I doubt many would argue against that.

Thought I would re-ignite this thread as the great man was recently in Dublin. Great concert. I'm still looking for members for the society. Any takers?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

lordgoat wrote: »
    I know all this, he brings out the worst in me.

BTW I don't think i'll ever understand how you can earn the right to be annoying and smarmy. I believe it's just inherent.

Even in your case?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

aDeener wrote: »
    Even in your case?

Of all the feeblest responses i can't imagine one poorer than this, but then again you look what you're dealing with and it all clicks into place.:)

As a moderator should you be writing posts like this above that are clearly off topic!??

Badboy1977 wrote: »
    As a moderator should you be writing posts like this above that are clearly off topic!??

Don't expect a response for a few months, or indeed ever, he tends to disappear when he gets shown up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I'm not a moderator of this forum. If you have a problem with a post report it. And as for the post after it wtf??? Grow up.

Try this again after the unnecessary intrusion. Is there anybody out there in the Dublin/Wicklow area interested in starting a Paul McCartney appreciation group. The purpose of which would be to meet two or three times a year for pints and talk about his music. You can obviously be a Beatles Fan as well but you must have an appreciation of his music.

Try this again after the unnecessary intrusion. Is there anybody out there in the Dublin/Wicklow area interested in starting a Paul McCartney appreciation group. The purpose of which would be to meet two or three times a year for pints and talk about his music. You can obviously be a Beatles Fan as well but you must have an appreciation of his music.

I know tell me about it, pfft some people :rolleyes:

Unfortunately Im not in that area, shame as I would consider myself to be a big enough fan of McCartney especially once I heard chaos and creation, that got me into his solo stuff.

Advertisement