Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Omega - a specific what should I buy thread.

• 14-06-2009 7:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭

I'm currently thinking of making the jump from the Astra to something bigger and the Omega is in the mix together with the Maxima and A6. I should be looking at FTOs and 320cis at my age, but I want armchair comfort and there's great value to be had at the moment.

I'm looking B Facelift 2.2l Z22XEV and have a few questions that neither Google or Wikipedia are being clearly helpful with.

Of course, the great Irish insurance industry may throw a spanner in the works and leave me with the Astra for another year (not necessarily a bad thing.)

Running costs
    My job is solid for 12 months and no more. If I want it again I have to re-apply with no guarantees and considering I've just started it, I don't know if I'll want to do that, go for something else that may not exist or go back to college.

What kind of MPG does the auto return?

How much have you paid for an indy service (outside Dublin)?

Considering I've just had the TB on the Astra replaced for €400, would I be looking at double that for an Omega, or does this engine operate on a chain? What is the interval?

Owner experience
    Who has (had) one? What do you like/hate? What's the main troubleshooting issue?

Is there anything I should be looking out for?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Buy a 5 series!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I'd go the whole hog and get a 3.0 - have a look in the uk too. VRT cant be much on one at this stage. A nice MV6 or Elite spec one would be sweet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

It's definitely not going to be a 5 series, or anything above 2.2 due to my short pockets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

what year/price range?

02/03 €4-5k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I had a 99 Omega 2 litre Turbo diesel. She was manual and was also RWD. I have to say it was the most reliable and economical car i ever had. It was comfortable, quick, good in the bends and a good long distance drive. I was sorry to get rid of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Mate got a fully loaded 2003 Omega, leather, diesel 2.2 to use as a hackney (he's an alright guy though), for €3k in the Merlin auctions in Naas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Mate got a fully loaded 2003 Omega, leather, diesel 2.2 to use as a hackney (he's an alright guy though), for €3k in the Merlin auctions in Naas

No chance of getting a five for that price but you can pick up a fairly decent 2001 for around the €5k mark. Wouldn't be in to buying a car at auction, especially something fairly big that's gonna have loads electric stuff goin' on. Too risky IMO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

A friend of mine has a 3.0mv6 ex cop car from the uk. He doesnt use it on the road just for car shows and a bit of fun on his farm. If I was getting a omega it would have to be the mv6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

The Omega is a fine car, but the only one that would tempt me is the 3.0 V6 Elite.

Have you considered a Volvo S80 2.0 LPT? With 180bhp and a top speed of 140 mph or thereabouts, they ain't no slouch. They are also stupidly cheap at the moment, with 5k getting you a perfect '01/02 example.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭GB15

My last car was a 98 omega. I don't think I had a single passenger in 2 years that didn't comment on how comfortable the seats were. Great long distance cruiser and the 2 litre engine does well enough to pull such a big car. I think averaged just under 30mpg.

I now have a 01 530d Sport. My back begins to ache after a 2.5 hour journey in it.

An S80 might tempt me actually.

*opens new tab for Carzone*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

An auto IS200 is just wrong.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    An auto IS200 is just wrong.

Any less wrong than an auto Omega though?

That 607 may warrant a test-drive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Omega is a grand bus. Can be had in very high spec, tho suffers a few niggles, eg rear brakes are a combination disc/drum, and don't last, and can also suffer a few electrical issues. Timing belt should be cheaper than an Astra as engine bay is huge and engine is mounted longitudinally.

607. Clarkson described it as the most economical car ever built, as it's so ugly you'd be too embarrassed to drive it. I rarely agree with him, but on this occasion it's hard not to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 Murts-Rig

2.5L V6 omega: Powerful Rig! Good for Burning unsuspecting boy racers. Weld upthe diff and she'll do rings for Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Murts-Rig wrote: »
    Weld upthe diff and she'll do rings for Ireland

:rolleyes:

I've got another car to throw into into the equation for you OP - an Alfa 166 2.0 TS. The Twin Spark in them makes a nice sound and they are also a beautiful looking car as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I'd reccomend the saab 9-5. It uses the same 2.2tid as the omega

It has the most comfortable seats you will ever drive in this side of a rolls royce. I sat in the back of one on a long journey last week and it was supremely comfortable, easily better then anything i've sat in before.

Its fairly well specced aswell, most having all electrics, climate control and cruise control.

While the 2.2tid may be slightly less powerful as the VAG 130bhp its far less noisy and far more refined, though theres no power after 4k revs but its a really nice cruiser

Here is an nice example

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Saab/9-5/2.2-TID/200912192218777/advert?channel=CARS

Advertisement