Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home Entertainment System

• 14-06-2009 7:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭

I have what's probably a stupid question.

I have a Sky+ box, one of these multimedia harddrives with HDMI output and also a DVD player/writer with scart output. Also have a very decent set of stereo speakers, expensive at the time.

Now I'd like a receiver (receiver as in has AM/FM radio) that I connect all these devices to. But most of the time all I want is stereo sound, actually I still haven't decided if I want to go down the 5.1 route at all as it's too much hassle with wires and the lot and I'm not sure that surround stuff is really important to me. Just want decent sound for the box and also for the music collection on the multimedia harddrive. So here's me thinking if I could leave all the yokes connected to the telly and get myself a stereo/5.1 receiver that I can connect with the optical audio connector from the telly than I'd have hassle free tv/music stereo sound possibly even with some pseudo 5.1 effects (over the stereo speakers). Hassle free as in wouldn't even have to select whatever input is coming, the thing just grabs the sound from the telly all the time. Also later I could still decide to hook the thing up to 5.1 speakers later.

So is there a reasonably priced receiver that does operate with classic stereo speakers and can downscale 5.1 audio signal, for example from DVDs to those, takes optical audio in from my LG LCD and also offers 5.1 if I change my mind later?

Or does this not make sense at all?

Thanks for taking your time...

Advertisement