Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this a good deal?

• 14-06-2009 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hey,

I'm looking to get Traktor Scratch Pro, and eventually decks and a Mixer. Sounds around have this deal for €1299.

So far I've only used pionneer mixers so does anyone have experience with the Korg Zero4??

Also is it worth the price? Assuming Scratch pro is about €650 is the mixer worth €650?

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

sounds around are usually a rip off dude

what exactly are you looking for?

if you only want to use two decks there is no real need to get traktor scratch pro these days, traktor have released a cheaper version with the only difference being a soundcard that takes only 2 decks instead of four

Thats 333 euro on thomann

http://www.thomann.de/ie/native_instruments_traktor_scratch_duo.htm

I cant see the point in you getting a korg zero 4, given that the high price tag actually comes from the fact that it has a firewire audio interface built in, and if your planning to get traktor you get a soundcard audio interface with it already, so theres not much point at all

If your looking to save a bit of money you could consider the mixer ive got the Behringer DDM4000, its got all the same functions as most proffessional mixers, the efx are deadly and you can assign all the buttons, faders and knobs through midi to traktor, and it has a ****-load of buttons which makes it ideal for controlling traktor

285 euro on thomann

http://www.thomann.de/ie/behringer_ddm_4000.htm

You also need to get a midi cable to hook up a mixer to send signals to traktor

20 quid on thomann

http://www.thomann.de/ie/swissonic_midiusb_1x1.htm

So you could get set up at under half the price at 638 euro leaving you plenty of money to spend on decks

Just realised that sounds around arent offering the traktor standard audio interface with that package, just the software

So yeah defo not a great deal, because if i am correct that means that if you were to buy vinyls or cd decks you would be unable to use them wth traktor as you need the native instruments soundcard either audio 4 or audio 8 to set up the timecode with traktor,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 electroma

i have serato scratch live it was 500euro, its alright, loved it at the start but it does involve hassle setting up for gigs. very tempremental.
    another thing i noticed was when you run serato through cdjs the loop feature on the cdjs doesnt work.

hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

electroma wrote: »
    i have serato scratch live it was 500euro, its alright, loved it at the start but it does involve hassle setting up for gigs. very tempremental.
    another thing i noticed was when you run serato through cdjs the loop feature on the cdjs doesnt work.

hope this helps

doesn't really matter as the recent versions of the software have all had looping capabilities anyway i suppose... (not that i have the technical gumption to figure them out mind you)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 electroma

doesn't really matter as the recent versions of the software have all had looping capabilities anyway i suppose... (not that i have the technical gumption to figure them out mind you)

what version has this? mine has loop features but you cant fiddle around with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

I'll clear up these questions about Serato....

Looping only works in relative or internal modes, not absolute

With vinyl, relative mode can be set so that when the needle is lifted for more than 0.5 sec, it will move to that part of the track, otherwise it won't move and is essentially skip proof

However, with CDJs you can't do this as it's obviously it's a laser and not a needle so when you hit cue it doesn't work as it needs to disengage for long enough not to be considered a 'skip'

You can loop with CDJs but you must use the laptop to cue to the start point so unfortunately you're back and forth to the laptop which is annoying unless you have a stand over the decks.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Tricked

Cheers for the advice guys.

As was pointed out, I presumed the audio 8 soundcard was included so yeah this is really overpriced!

They new plan is to invest in a Mac and get something like a Hercules controller to work with VDJ until I can afford to upgrade to Traktor. That way I can start doing some 21sts and stuff without decks and continue using club decks for gigs.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

If money is an issue get an M-Audio Xponent for €500 and it's all you need. I have one and love it, I'd be hard pressed to get anything else as you'd have to spend so much more money to get a few features that I could barely see myself using.

Or you could get Traktor Pro and a midi controller - there are loads to choose from.

I just don't see why you'd want to add to record decks to the equation when going totally digital (unless for scratching) if you want to bring your gear to parties etc its a huge amount to lug around...

Tricked wrote: »
    Cheers for the advice guys.

As was pointed out, I presumed the audio 8 soundcard was included so yeah this is really overpriced!

They new plan is to invest in a Mac and get something like a Hercules controller to work with VDJ until I can afford to upgrade to Traktor. That way I can start doing some 21sts and stuff without decks and continue using club decks for gigs.

Why not check out the behringer ddm4000 i recommended? You can use that on its on without decks then when you get them simply add them on, dont think that wll be possible with just a controller

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

Hi Zascar..

I was planning on buying one myself about a year ago didnt have the funds.. looking to get one now.. i know theres good ones for 500/600 can you recommend any? do u use it through virtual dj? i have that on the computer......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

This is the Xponent that I have: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/TorqXponent.html - it comes with Torq which is better than Virtual DJ.

I'm not that familar with the DDM4000 but as Steve says this could also be a very viable option.

Steve can you explain further exactly how this works with software such as Tracktor etc? The thing that put me off that type of setup before is that on the Xponent you have a platter for beatmatching and refining. unless you are using beatgrids in traktor and they are perfect, I'm not sure how you'd have to do it. I want to me using the mouse a minimum amount - for selecting tracks only.

I'd be very interested to see the DDM4000 in action with Traktor pro.

I've only heard good things about the Xponent so that's looking like the best option at the moment.

Like Zascar was asking, is the DDM4000 like a mini controller in a mixer? It does sound like the most sensible thing to get if I will be getting decks but I would probably prefer the layout of a midi controller.

Sorry, just looked back on your original post explaining the Behringer. It sounds ideal actually, great price too! The only thing that would put me off is being told to avoid Behringer as they're not supposed to be the most reliable?

Tricked wrote: »
    Sorry, just looked back on your original post explaining the Behringer. It sounds ideal actually, great price too! The only thing that would put me off is being told to avoid Behringer as they're not supposed to be the most reliable?

Yeah alot of their mixers are, but this is a different mixer compared to the usual budget mixers they make, ive had it practically since it came out, usually the faders are really crappy on behringer mixers but this one has optical faders so you wont ever have to replace them. Mine has gone through loads of use and abuse and has never given me one problem.

People will always p1ss on Behringer but you can't compare them with with the likes of A&H etc at 3-4 times the price.

I used to have the DJX700 (got it for free) and it did the job fine - never caused me a problem (but the effects were laughable really). I gave it to a mate who used it for a year and then went and bought a Pioneer DJM700 - he said that of course its a fantastic mixer, but not worth 4 times the money, the Behringer would probably have done him fine.

I'm not sure but my belief is that the DDM4000 is very good and does not have previous problems - maybe its not as bulletproof as some others, but its much better value really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

Thas one i was looking at before zascar it looks the biz... i think i have the link of it saved on my home pc, some shop in ireland where i was gonna get it from. how is it for recording mixes any problems with that?

Recording could not be easier. Click record, type a name and click record done. Records in wav then you can encode to mp3 later.

For the money, its by far the best all-in-one solution around.

Advertisement