Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas for the forum for new season

Options
  • 14-06-2009 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

First off, thanks to everyone who took the time to contribute to the feedback thread a while back. I'm at pains to say this every opportunity I get, but this forum would be nothing without your input, and it's important that we all remember that and continue to contribute.

Secondly I'd like to say it's been a great year to be involved in the forum, the club has had its ups and downs but there been plenty of occasions when posters have helped each other out, met up at a game, or over a few pints for a game on the box, and that is exactly what I'd hoped we would achieve when we requested the forum way back at the start.

Now on to the business at hand:

One thing I'd rather we didn't have is a load of sticky threads at the top of the forum, I've pared it down to a bare minimum in the off season, as much as possible I'd like to keep it that way. Personally, I find whenever I go on a forum with 8/9 sticky threads that I get a pain in the hole having to scroll down to see the latest active threads, anyone else feel that way?

What I think will work will be if I start a couple of threads as requested, but rather than have them as stickies I'll add them to the FAQ/links sticky and you'll be able to find them a bit easier.

Just a note, I will keep the fixture list updated with cup clashes etc but unlike the last two seasons it won't be a sticky, but the link will be in the FAQ thread.
    Kold wrote: »
    A stickied dedicated match thread reset after every game would be handy. I'm out across the Pacific at the moment and having a hard time keeping up on what's happening especially with the 8 hour time difference. Perhaps it's greedy of me but it would be cool to just click in this forum and have all the details about the next game in front of me. On top of that, I feel it's a way of getting the chatter going the way in which for every single bloody manure game there seems to be a dedicated match thread 2 weeks too early (we shouldn't go that far) but it does encourage banter more than someone posting the only thread about 78 minutes in titled: We should've had a peno for that.

I like this suggestion, and I think it's worth acting on. As an aside, if there's no thread started for whatever reason, it would be great if one of you lot would start it and it can be stuck later on.
    Mullo76 wrote: »
    Some ideas

1. Arrange an away game where as many of us as poss can go. Sure with all the contacts on here we could sort tickets.
    2. Set up a fantasy football league for the spurs fans on here (might be a bit of crack)
    3. Pick one or two key home games and try to get as many of us as poss to travel and meet for beers (nothing like a pint at 7.35 before the 8.10 flight to stansted.

Mark has hit the nail on the head here IMO.

At the moment the forum seems to be a one size fits all kind of place, a bit of chat about the club, the odd ticket or two changing hands, a bit of travel news. What I'd really like to see happen is a real community start to develop. I know there are supporters clubs in the country, and I don't want to end up moving in on other people's territory, but there's nothing to stop us organising a forum trip to a game, or even just a few beers for a televised game.

I will definitely be pushing for us to do the away game Mark has suggested, the two best IMO are Wigan and Fulham, and with a number of STs and memberships between us all we'd have no problem getting a good few tickets. I hope there's a bit of interest in that idea, cos it will really help foster a sense of community among us all, and should see us helping each other out a bit more as well (lets face it, we're more likely to lend memberships/STs is we know each other off-boards)

I also think that any home game we're going to we should be making an effort to meet up, if only for a quick drink before you head off to do your own thing. I know we all have our own routine on matchday, and mates to meet up with, but I think it would be worth the effort.

To help form a community I'm also proposing we do the following:

1. Set up a fantasy football league as suggested.
    2. Run a Last Man Standing competition which is a good laugh (I won €1000 on my cousins a few weeks back)
    3. Start a new thread on the forum for off-topic discussion, so we can get to know each other a bit better. I'll lay out the idea behind that in the thread itself.

Above all else, I want us to feel that we are a community, because if we develop that understanding then we're more likely to invest something in the forum, and get more back as a result.

Any comments are welcome lads.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭neilisagam

The idea of going to an away game together is v.good. Everyone would get to know each other and so forth. Excellent idea.

The other ideas of a fantasy team and last man stannding are alos v.good. Good bit of banter and that. All in all i think that this forum is very much a community and any thing that makes it more compact is welcomed

Advertisement