Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-topic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭09_09_09

Lads,

Now Top 3 is secured. Thank feck no qualifier for us. Should we play fringe players for the rest of matches such as Lopez, CCV, Wimmer, N'Koudou, Edwards so on? I like to finish us the season strongly but, I think these players need minutes and if we are planning to sell them this summer then this is an opportunity for us...What are your thoughts?

Also, I wanted City and United to be in Top 4 because it does not matter if they are in CL or not. They will get the players due to stupid money they offer. Fecking hell even Lingaard (sp?) is on ?100k per week. On the other hand, Liverpool and Arsenal will struggle to attract players without CL...but, I think Arsenal will win this race somehow and will finish in top 4....

I hope Levy grows pair this time and he shows some ambition in the transfer market. No more unknown kids from French League or last minute panic buy and I sincerely hope Poch has learned lesson from last year CL shambles and will be better prepared this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

The next match, and the last ever game in WHL is on Sunday. That is a game the fans deserve to have their team win, and will need the best team available, regardless of the fact that top 3 is secured. Only 1 point is needed to (more or less) guarantee 2nd place and IMHO finishing 3rd would be bottling it, like last year, and not acceptable. Put out a full squad against Utd, win the game, secure 2nd place and then maybe relax a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Put out the strongest side available as always. Utd are so dour to watch, the amount of attacking talent going to waste is unreal.

We've Leicester, would love to batter them.

No time for any players to be thinking about there holidays. Rose would be a welcome return before the season ends.

I want to win all remaining fixtures, not to go out on a whimper.

Can't imagine Pochettino will tell any of his players to relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

09_09_09 wrote: »
    Lads,

Now Top 3 is secured. Thank feck no qualifier for us. Should we play fringe players for the rest of matches such as Lopez, CCV, Wimmer, N'Koudou, Edwards so on? I like to finish us the season strongly but, I think these players need minutes and if we are planning to sell them this summer then this is an opportunity for us...What are your thoughts?

Also, I wanted City and United to be in Top 4 because it does not matter if they are in CL or not. They will get the players due to stupid money they offer. Fecking hell even Lingaard (sp?) is on ?100k per week. On the other hand, Liverpool and Arsenal will struggle to attract players without CL...but, I think Arsenal will win this race somehow and will finish in top 4....

I hope Levy grows pair this time and he shows some ambition in the transfer market. No more unknown kids from French League or last minute panic buy and I sincerely hope Poch has learned lesson from last year CL shambles and will be better prepared this time.

Definitely no fringe players for Utd. Its the last WHL game, a chance to finish the season unbeaten at home, guarantees 2nd place and lays down a badly needed marker against Utd who we can't seem to beat even when they are absolute muck such as now.

Regarding 3rd an 4th it is a good point to say Liverpool and Arsenal won't attract players without CL football but I would prefer to see Utd lose out. They are on sponsorship deals where penalties kick in if they miss out on CL football again this year. Coupled with blowing their wad on Pogba and probably another 100M on 16 goals this season Griezemann, who will then be expected to be an auxilliary full back for the Stunted One, and the Theatre of One All Draws could be comedy gold over the next few years.

Regarding our own transfer activity I think less is more. If we got nobody and lost nobody I wouldn't be overly unhappy if we start the season with a fully fit squad. We haven't had a whole lot of success splashing the cash: Soldado, Sissoko (whatever he cost, the wages are crazy for a bit part player) and Lamela. Its not just us, if we got 90M for Walker and Dier (most often mentioned) who would we buy, Pogba? The secret for a team like Spurs (and say Leicester last year) is that, barring injuries, the first 11 picks itself, and then you have 4-5 adequate (or even very good) subs when injuries are picked up. We just cannot afford to have top class subs sitting on the sideline like the others in the top 6. They will do it at Utd or City or Chelsea because there isn't anyone else going to give Jesse Lingaard 100K a week to be a bit part player.

Going to Wembley should (unfortunately) be just a year of consolidation. All home games on an iconic but neutral ground which will inspire the visitors as much as our players means we can't hope to replicate our WHL form. Ideally we get a few handy fixtures to start, for the crowd as much as the the players. Anxiety on the terrace will quickly spread to the pitch if we end up on the wrong end of a few early results. If we can successfully negotiate our season there still in the top 4 then we can push the accellerater when we get back to WHL. Then we should have the match day funds, hopefully CL football, the glamour venue and the pull of London to attract players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

The only reason we should play fringe players is if second is guaranteed and Chelsea have been confirmed as league winners. Once this happens, it is logical that a few first teamers might take their foot off the pedal - so it's a good time to play fringe players so that they put 100% in and play for their shirt next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,411 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I hope Levy + the Board have learned from 2010-11 when we got to Champs Lge 1/4 Final, and we didnt kick on from there, and we lost our top players the next season.
    We havta kick on this year !! HAVTA !!

"Its the hope that kills yaa"

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 9,731 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Boro deserve to go down, what a non performance that first half was.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭Worztron

Boro deserve to go down, what a non performance that first half was.

Boro have scored 26 goals in 36 games. What a snooze fest.

---

2 Chelsea draws after this and 3 Spurs wins and the title is ours on goal difference. It's the hope that kills ya.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Worztron wrote: »
    Boro have scored 26 goals in 36 games. What a snooze fest.

---

2 Chelsea draws after this and 3 Spurs wins and the title is ours on goal difference. It's the hope that kills ya.

unfortunately they will have to lose aswell, they also have 3 games left :D

KingdomYid wrote: »
    unfortunately they will have to lose aswell, they also have 3 games left :D

Doh, I mis-counted their remaining games. :o

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement

I'd like us to bid for Traore in the summer. Good coaching could iron out his imperfections.

When he hits the afterburners there's no catching him.

Sigurdsson would be a welcome addition. Whilst Eriksen had been fantastic for the most part, his conversion rate is poor at free kicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

Think it's vital we finish the season as strong as possible, go for it.

Agree with Deise re transfers, hopefully lamela will be back, I would get rid of Sissoko if we could come close to getting our money back, he's just not a spurs player. I think Janssen will have smething to offer also.

Funny looking background there.... is the Nike deal official??

https://twitter.com/Tottenham_N17/status/861877340036620288

Funny looking background there.... is the Nike deal official??

https://twitter.com/Tottenham_N17/status/861877340036620288

Hasnt it always been? I thought it was definate?

Gatorade ? Strange American (?) tie in....
    Imagine Spurs playing at 'Gatorade Park' - Jaysus !!!! :eek:
    or "StubHub Stadium" .......

greenspurs wrote: »
    Hasnt it always been? I thought it was definate?

No I haven't heard anything definite.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭Glebee

watched the Gascoigne documentary on Netflix last night. Never realised that Gazza agreed with Fergie to join Man Utd after he had opened talks with Spurs at the time. Fergie went on holidays thinking he had signed Gazza from Newcastle. Venables then buys Gazza a new house, a car and sun bed and he joins Spurs. Fergie come back from holidays and im sure he went mental....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Glebee wrote: »
    watched the Gascoigne documentary on Netflix last night. Never realised that Gazza agreed with Fergie to join Man Utd after he had opened talks with Spurs at the time. Fergie went on holidays thinking he had signed Gazza from Newcastle. Venables then buys Gazza a new house, a car and sun bed and he joins Spurs. Fergie come back from holidays and im sure he went mental....

Similar to how ferguson poached keane after he had agreed to join Blackburn. Daglish ffn furious as he went away on holiday thinking he had signed roy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

First bit made me emotional! Arthur Rowe, credit with changing the game in the 50's by creating the 'push and run' game. Johnny Giles spoke about how it changed football in England on Newstalk a few weeks ago

Wow ......
    i think i have dust in my eye ............ Farewell to the Lane...
    TTID .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭Glebee

I really hope we put on an exhibition on sunday against Utd and give the Lane the farewell it deserves.

• Advertisement

Glebee wrote: »
    I really hope we put on an exhibition on sunday against Utd and give the Lane the farewell it deserves.

We HAVE to ......
    It will be some occasion!
    I wonder will the pitch survive? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

They should play that video to the crowd before the game. Would add to the atmosphere

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

slegs wrote: »
    They should play that video to the crowd before the game. Would add to the atmosphere

To the players too, in case the significance of the occasion passes them by.

What a video....loved every bit of it...need to give the send off the lane deserves! COYS

It'd be fantastic to finish the last season at WHL unbeaten at home -- even better to bow out with a win. COYS!

Michael Dawson has kept more Premier League clean sheets (41) for Spurs at White Hart Lane than any other goalkeeper or defender.

C_kSqHsXoAARjC_.jpg

Double boom!

C_np-NVXUAQItwQ.jpg

C_nsZGkXUAAuL2r.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,731 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Sugarlumps wrote:
    Double boom!

Ah noooo . .

Sure that things a curse.

Ah noooo . .

Sure that things a curse.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRq6lcBussQc8DdvfQDs1_REMV1L8FULgTDGwWJDcgUFncRfOvQ

• Advertisement

27 more minutes lads...if West Brom keep this a draw or sneak a win then the dream is not over!

Advertisement