Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How many times have you failed?

• 14-06-2009 8:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭

I just failed my second driving test there on Friday. My first attempt was awful, but I was really confident about the second one. The most frustrating part was that I just about failed. Nine Grade 2s constitutes a fail and that's exactly what I got. Now I have to pay €75 for a third attempt. No more pretests. I know of some people who attempted it a few times before they passed, so I was wondering who here had to make more than one attempt?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭DrivingInfo

Nine hmmmmmm

Ok what were your faults:

Ill see if i can give you some tips/advice which will help.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭fixieboy

Go private....statistically you're more likely to pass in one of the outsourced centres. They also have shorter waiting lists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lorrs33

Nine hmmmmmm

Ok what were your faults:

Ill see if i can give you some tips/advice which will help.

Regards

Ah no, I know where I went wrong. The last thing I do before moving off is check my blindspot, better reaction to hazards (which I actually did practise), my reverse around the corner. That's it really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Left it till late but passed 1st time. Doubt I could do it now 30yrs later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

fixieboy wrote: »
    Go private....statistically you're more likely to pass in one of the outsourced centres. They also have shorter waiting lists.
    If you're on about SGS, then they stopped doing the tests at the end of April.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

fixieboy wrote: »

SGS have shut up shop and even when they were there you couldn't chose to do your test with them, it was all one waiting list. Everyone applied to the RSA and they sent X amount of tests to SGS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭DrivingInfo

Lorrs33 wrote: »
    Ah no, I know where I went wrong. The last thing I do before moving off is check my blindspot, better reaction to hazards (which I actually did practise), my reverse around the corner. That's it really.

OK

The last thing I do before moving off is check my blindspot, Don't forget this!
    better reaction to hazards (which I actually did practise), Make sure you understand this! its not just practice.
    my reverse around the corner. Again make sure you understand this! its not just practice.

Loads of people fail because they do not understand what they should be doing. They just do what they were told to do.

Would i be correct in your case?;)

Regards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭Assets Model

Lorrs33 wrote: »
    I just failed my second driving test there on Friday. My first attempt was awful, but I was really confident about the second one. The most frustrating part was that I just about failed. Nine Grade 2s constitutes a fail and that's exactly what I got. Now I have to pay €75 for a third attempt. No more pretests. I know of some people who attempted it a few times before they passed, so I was wondering who here had to make more than one attempt?

Me too except I did bloody worse than last time even though I couldn't really drive last time and now I can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Sounds similar to me, failed twice. First time I was a major rookie and shouldn't have been allowed on the road :pac: Second time went really well and he failed me on just getting unlucky with bad traffic and me making a decision which I'd do again.

Haven't reapplied but I'm not regularly driving these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

just the once so far but haven't gotten around to booking a second test yet.

terrible observation the first time and reaction to hazards (in my defense, i was up for the 24 hours preceeding my test with work! shouldn't have been in a car at all tbh)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lorrs33

OK

The last thing I do before moving off is check my blindspot, Don't forget this!
    better reaction to hazards (which I actually did practise), Make sure you understand this! its not just practice.
    my reverse around the corner. Again make sure you understand this! its not just practice.

Loads of people fail because they do not understand what they should be doing. They just do what they were told to do.

Would i be correct in your case?;)

Regards

I actually understand all of that. The reaction to hazards probably caused me problems because I had only gained this understanding the day before my test. Although he said one of my hazards was going over ramps too fast, which is crap because I pressed the brake as I approached them and took my foot off as I went over them. I really made a point of doing that!

I did perfectly on the 3-point turn in my first driving test and yet I got penalised on it this time, that annoyed me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Just the once passed 2nd time around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Devia

Failed first time because I was really unprepared and didn't really know what to expect. Second time I did my research, got a pretest and flew through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 aqua2027

I was failed because I failed or decided ( because nothing was behind my car)to indicate while moving off or stopping. It is important to take observation while moving off, but it is important show the instructor that you are doing so, may be u have ot show it off.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I failed four times, and passed it on the fifth.

First test was awful, I made a bags of it.
    Second test went better, but he was right to fail me because I made a very dangerous decision without thinking.
    Third test went much better, but again I made a decision to move off when I should have stayed put.
    Fourth test was nearly there... he said there were too many 'little things', again right, but very disappointing.

Fifth test was on a different route, quite challenging (over with SGS in Pottery Road) including a run out on the N11. Tester was very thorough with the route and vehicle checks. Passed with only 1 Grade 1 and 1 Grade 2. If there was one thing different about this test it was actually that I thought I failed quite early on, because I thought I saw a mark in the pink column on the sheet. With the result that I drove a lot more naturally... Go figure.

Three bits of advice for any repeat fails from my own experience:

Identify a repeat weakness - not just where you failed or the actual fault. It took two failed tests to make me realize that I'd an observation and judgment problem turning right. So once I copped that, I went and practiced right turns non-stop.

Don't get overly stressed, and try not to drive in an unnatural style. If you're nervous or you're trying to hide certain things you do, you'll make mistakes because you're not concentrating on the big stuff.

Practice any set pieces - the observation and mechanics to do a right turn, left turn, reverse around the corner, moving off from kerb, moving off in traffic, overtaking, traffic lights, lane selection and all the rest should be automatic... again if you've to overly think about these moves then you'll up to fail.

And don't forget every fail is one step closer to a pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 my_ais

Hi, i passed first time round thank god but i completely understand how easy it is to fail, it is absolutely nerve wrecking! The one piece of advice i got is everytime the instructor opens his mouth check your mirrors!! as he is going to give you a command! I swear to god but i couldnt see a thing most of the time i was checking my blind spot but it looked effective obviously. I got three marks on one stupid mistake i made on failing to progress at a roundabout, i knew i would make it but i just waited which was stupid but sure what can you do. I did my test with SGS if that means anything. Good luck with it and dont be afraid to get back into it!

Advertisement