Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peugeot 206

• 14-06-2009 8:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭

I see lots of them on the road, so I assume them to be a good car. My brother-in-law is a mechanic and according to my sister, they're very bad with electrics or something. No offence to her, but I don't trust her judgement on this car because she wants one and is going out of her way to talk me out of getting one. I haven't had the chance to speak with my brother-in-law away from her to get his honest opinion, so I thought I'd ask here. Are they good cars?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭fasterkitten

I have one. It's 02. I've driven the **** out of it and it's never given me any problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

Mines a 99. Had to replace the starter motor but aside from that its great. Only complaint is that the pedals are a bit close together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

GF had one for a while. Nice little car. Her car had the guts of 100k on the clock and no problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Some garages tell you that the Peugots give problems after 40K miles but that is crap. Sis in law has one with 120K on it and has given very little problems apart electric window motor on passenger door needing replacement. Would love a peugot 607 but they are a hard sell as second hand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,297 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I can't speak from experience, but my uncle is a Peugeot mechanic and advised my sister not to get one when she was buying a car a few years ago. Said he hates having to fix 206s.

But again, I can't speak from experience and this is what my sister told me he said, so take it with a pinch of salt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

I have a '01 with about 36k on the clock. Only electrics problems I have is the radio randomly turning itself off, and v. occasionally self adjusting the volume.

Had to get a new part for the exhaust for the last NCT. No other problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ThatsNotMyName*

Love my 206! Id defo recomend them for people starting to drive.

Drove the s*** out of it for a year and a half and now it seems to be causing me problems every month! :(
    -When i tried to go faster than 100kph the thing started making a loud screeching whirring noise until i slowed down to just under that
    -Failed the NCT cos the carbon emissions were too high
    -Sometimes break lights are on permanently
    -Most recently its new trick is making a popping sound when i put my foot on the clutch to change gears.
    I was on the M50 and i tried to change gears the clutch made a pop sound and the clutch did not disengage. The pedal stayed down and i wasnt in any gear or able to put it in any gear. Luckily i was in the outside lane else the deathtrap would have killed me! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Horrible car. Wife had one and it gave constant problems.
    Nothing is in an easy spot to access.
    As another poster said, the pedals are very close together so may be a tad awkward for many guys to drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Apart from being one of the worst handling cars I've ever driven they seem to have lots of niggly things that go wrong, as has been said they do suffer from electrical problems.

My cousin has one and has almost spent as much as the price she originally paid in fixing it.

Just because there popular those not make them good, they sell on there image to misinformed women.

Do a google search on 206 reviews, 206 problems etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lorrs33

Wow, that's a lot of mixed responses :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭smcgui

Well I love mine, I have a '01 206 and have had it for about two and a half years now. Caused me very little problems, very comfortable car to drive. Infact I'll be selling mine next month if you are interested!:D Only reason I will be selling mine is that I'm going travelling for a year, I'm even tempted to keep it at home until I get back. Either way I would recommend them and I would defo buy another one in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Lorrs33 wrote: »
    Wow, that's a lot of mixed responses :confused:

You're always going to get mixed opinions on reliability, especially for anything that's not Japanese. My wife has one for 2.5 years, with very few problems. Servicing is very cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Damomayo

My wife has one as well and she loves it. Just passed NCT with no probs. Going to sell it cause I got a new car and she's getting my old car.
    Can't complain about realiabilty even though its french, Seats are very comfy and its ideal for use. 1.1 engine so not a long journey cruiser but ideal for less than 50 mls and great on fuel
    Biggest prob with 206 is the pedals!!!!! very tight - not for size 10 feet :( Gearbox in all pugs don't seem to be as good as german cars but not had any prob with it either.

Overall IMHO the cars grand but all makes will have some bad 1's even E50k merc

Ps forgot to mention front seats have fast recline (might be handy) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The pedals in the 106 are even worse! I've no problems changing from my auto with loads of foot space to my wife's 206, but it's probably out of habit more than anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Can't complain about my own one except that I've kind of wrecked. I'm very tough on mechanical objects as a rule though, and in 4 years of ownership it's never left me stranded or frustrated, and hasn't cost a huge amount to maintain.

The pedals are close together, but all it requires is adjusting how you use your feet. If you're in the habit of lifting your foot off the mat to change from brake to accelerator (or vice versa), you'll have the hardest adjustment.

Advertisement