Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Part-time evening photography course

• 14-06-2009 8:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭

I know there are a few other similar threads running but they don't have the info I'm looking for. I would like to do a part-time evening photography course. Well, I'd love to do one of the week long courses I've found in NCAD or IADT but I can't afford to take the time off work. Anyway, I've found two institutions that are running evening courses:

http://galleryofphotography.ie/courses/digintro.html
    http://www.iop.ie/courses/beginners.htm

Has anyone attended either of these? Which of these would you go for? Both look good to me. I have a digital SLR but have only used it twice in the last year and want to learn more about it. I kinda know the basics of Photoshop but nothing about photography really. Also, I have the 'Understanding Exposure' book by Peterson but I think I would benefit more from a taught class.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42 mcdonnells

Hi aaf,

I did the IOP intermediate course, I cant recommend them highly enough.

Give Dave a call and discuss your needs, he wont steer you wrong.

Cheers

Steve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

mcdonnells wrote: »
    Hi aaf,

I did the IOP intermediate course, I cant recommend them highly enough.

Give Dave a call and discuss your needs, he wont steer you wrong.

Cheers

Steve
    Cheers, I'll contact him tomorrow. I see the evening beginners course starts on Thur evening so I'd better get moving on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42 mcdonnells

Hi again,

to be honest if you have any 'level of understanding' of SLR, go for the intermediate.
    Better Value for Money, and better level. Basic would be more for Compacts and the like.

Seems counter intuitive, I was in the same scenario.

Haven't looked back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

Hmm, just had a look at the beginners and intermediate course content. I'm pretty ok with Photoshop and a few other freebie graphics programs like IrfanView, Picassa. I can crop, use eraser, clone tool contact sheet, photo package, slide shows etc etc. I have removed specks from old photos, adjusted different levels (although I didn't really know what I was doing just judging by my own eye on my crappy monitor) before and printed a few copies off for family members so I'm not an absolute complete novice. I was hoping for more help on the actual taking of a photograph. Light conditions and aperture settings etc. How to frame a shot etc.

Looking at the course contents from the two courses I linked to above, the Gallery of Photography looks more like the course I want to do. I will contact Dave tomorrow as you suggested and have a chat if I can.

Advertisement