Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you being unpatriotic if you don't like GAA. Keep it clean please.

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

Id be classed as a republican in my views but wouldn't hold it against anyone who doesnt like the GAA. Its only a sporting organisation at the end of the day. The second you start bringing politics into sport, your goin the wrong.

Its clear that the organisation itself has its roots in irish republicanism but if you look at rugby, it gives of an elitist vibe (apparently).... I like to believe both sports have grown out of their respective stereotypes and we can all follow whatever we like without being called a west brit or IRA supporter... I love the two sports (almost) equally. Pecking order:

1. Hurling
    2. Rugby
    3. Gaelic Football
    25. Flower arranging.
    26. Soccer :P

Despise soccer for the amount of money that is thrown about, its a sin. But again, wouldnt hold anything against someone who likes soccer, but ill never understand it :)

At the end of the day, if my team (Local Team, Dublin, Ireland) were playing in any sport, i would support them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

GAA catchment areas ARE defined by Parish Boundries. In Towns and Cities this can get murky, but in rural areas what club you are officially meant to play for is the club of the parish you live in.

Now there are numerous exceptions of course.... but the parish boundry is the basis of it.

I think it's because all of their friends are gonna go to the same colleges to do the same thing and because it isn't that intellectually taxing.*

I remember when I was in school, about 50-75% of the year (all GAA heads) went on to study either primary school teaching, woodwork teaching or PE teaching in Limerick or Dublin. I really couldn't get over it at the time.

They're all hanging out with the same people from secondary school as well, the only new pals they've made in college would be friends or cousins of friends.

*Not that I've done anything myself since then that justifies such snobbery.
    Wait a sec....

You're saying that 50 to 75% of your entire year because either National School teachers, PE Teachers or Woodwork teachers ?

They did in their holes.

If you have to make up scutter like that to try and support your argument, then you really should know.... you're just wrong.

It's shocking how illinformed people are about the GAA as an organisation. What it does, what it stands for.

How the hell can you "hate" a sporting organisation. Reading through some of the muck in this tread, the gereral gist seems to be... ye hate :

Farmers
    People who like to "Galway Girl"
    Teachers
    The Christian Brothers
    The IRA
    Fianna Fail
    People who drink Bulmers
    yadda yadda yadda etc
    But ye like to round it all off with a good aul' "I hate the GAA"

Lads... get a life.

It's a sporting organisation. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Of course the GAA has it's problems. What organisation of its size could possibly exist without some problems. But it is still the biggest, the strongest, the most forward thinking and most professionally run sporting organisation in Ireland by a country mile.

And I am proud to be a member.

P.S. To answer the OP. No you are not unpatriotic if you don't like the GAA.

But, if you answer a question such as "Will you play Galway Girl" with, "No I won't because I hate the GAA", then you ar a moron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

BnA wrote: »
    Wait a sec....

You're saying that 50 to 75% of your entire year because either National School teachers, PE Teachers or Woodwork teachers ?

They did in their holes.

They did as far as I could see. I didn't hold a census or anything.
    If you have to make up scutter like that to try and support your argument, then you really should know.... you're just wrong.

I'm...not arguing with anybody... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

shudder at the thought of sharing the same nationality as these 'people'. They really bring Ireland down. If they love the IRA so much then I really wish they'd **** off up north and get killed. One less embarrasment.

This from a post where people want to sing Galway Girl. Up Deise, or Up the Rebels?

Of course the Rugby playing anti-GAA thing is a class based issue. It may even be West-British.

Consider if you will a GAA fan in Munster. Also, most probably these days, a fan of Rubgy in Munstar. A follower of the team.

Consider a Rubgy player in "Leinster" ( really D4). A hater of all things GAA.

It is clear the way the bigotry works here.

I played both. I prefer rugby to football. I was ****e at hurling but that game is one of the best spetator sports in the world.

So, with the exception, of some commentators who had run ins with the GAA and politics, the opposition some posters have to the GAA is not the sport itself, but who plays it - boggers etc. That in-group tribal loyalty is not dissimilar to racism ( this group of people are inferior so their culture is), and in fact the antecedents of the anti-GAA squad probably were Empire supporters. TBH.

Mine weren't but I like rugby and watch cricket when I can. And hurling. The good stuff.

The bigotry now flows in one direction.

Of course, it is not just In Ireland ( the class based thing). Rugby players in England hate soccer, in general. Vice Versa there, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

OP, if you dont want to be asked to play county songs you shouldn't DJ in Coppers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

LOL i have to just laugh at the fact that people think they can question your patriotism on if you like GAA or not (i find that when people say GAA they really mean football, not hurling). In my opinion Football is crap, just utter crap. Hurling on the other hand is great to watch, so is rugby.
    In Donegal GAA isnt followed as much as in other counties, im not too sure why. Maybe we realize its just a game and not "the pride of the parish", if thats all you have to worry about in your area then you must live one hell of a boring life. Go smoke a joint or something, i think you will find its more fun than you think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

BnA wrote: »
    It's a sporting organisation. Nothing more. Nothing less.
    I suggest you read the history and constitution of your organisation. The GAA was founded to advance the Gaelic culture in society, thus it is a political organisation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

asdasd wrote: »

So the boundaries of Ireland have been redrawn have they? Since when is Leinster actually D4. In case you hadn't noticed there are 12 counties in Leinster and believe this or not D4 is but one post code in a single county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

Gaelic football is a mortal sin, I get sick to my stomach everytime I hear about how much skill is involved. there's really very little if any. You're kicking the ball 50 feet in the air, out of your F'ing hands FFS, how can you bleedin' miss?????:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

I grew up encouraged to play football (soccer) rather then GAA. This was due to my anti-GAA Dad, who saw them as introverted since he was kicked out of his GAA club as a kid because he (shock horror) attended a soccer match.

I don't hate it, but I see:

Hurling - Skilled, fast paced, looks quite exciting as will as quite unique. Fair play to ye lads.

GAA Football - Like real football, but you can carry it too. What? Looks like a made-up sport to me. (Though isn't everything a made up sport? It's just a question of how long ago it was made up.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

genericguy wrote: »
    Gaelic football is a mortal sin, I get sick to my stomach everytime I hear about how much skill is involved. there's really very little if any. You're kicking the ball 50 feet in the air, out of your F'ing hands FFS, how can you bleedin' miss?????:mad:

Ever consider incounty so? :pac:

iregk wrote:
    So the boundaries of Ireland have been redrawn have they? Since when is Leinster actually D4. In case you hadn't noticed there are 12 counties in Leinster and believe this or not D4 is but one post code in a single county.

An inaccuracy/stereotype in this thread? Shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Acacia wrote: »
    So when people spout sh1te about you not being 'Irish' enough if you don't like the Gah, tell them the above and it will shut them up. Most of them won't have the foggiest what you're on about as they seem to believe that this defintion of Irishness stretches back into the aeons of time. Which goes to show how little they know about Irish history revisionism. :pac:

thats better :)

I do know the geography of the country.
    However, Leinster rugby support comes from D4.

Although on the day of the match ( between Munster and Leinster) I am told there was a Welcome To Leinster sign somewhere about Naas. Around the bypass.

So the rugby leinster has extended to Naas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Leinster rugby support comes from D4.

Although on the day of the match ( between Munster and Leinster) I am told there was a Welcome To Leinster sign somewhere about Naas. Around the bypass.

EVERYONE loves rugby now. Didnt you get the memo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Sean O'Brien, Shane Horgan, Rob Kearney and Devin Toner would all beg to differ, they'll be around for a word shortly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

eightyfish wrote: »
    GAA Football - Like real football, but you can carry it too. What? Looks like a made-up sport to me.

History of The FA

Football as we know it dates back to 1863, when the chief clubs and schools playing their own versions of the game met to form “The Football Association”.

There had been rules in the past. Too many and often conflicting - that was the problem. With its origins in mob football, an often violent game played on holy days in English towns and villages in which an anything-goes philosophy was adopted to get the ball to designated ends, differences early on centred on the amount of handling and hacking involved.

From the early 19th Century, matches were first played on the pitches, playgrounds and cloisters of England’s public schools, but Eton’s way of playing would differ to Harrow’s, theirs to Winchester’s, to Charterhouse’s and so on to the ultimate extreme at Rugby. Frustrated, undergraduates at Cambridge tried to unify the rules in the mid-to-late 1840s and those rules would largely be accepted on the evening of 26 October 1863. At London’s Freemason’s Tavern representatives from 12 clubs and schools from the London area met to bang out a code for the game.

One school, Blackheath, refused to accept the non-inclusion of hacking (kicking below the knee) and walked out but the 11 others agreed to form The Football Association. Under the charge of Ebenezer Cobb Morley, 14 laws were penned to a game that would in the following century break its little England origins to become the most played, watched and talked about activity on the planet.
    Looks like the path to the stanardisation of Soccer and Gaelic were similar. Soccer just evolved without the hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

OP

Back to the original question, Why dont you have Galway Girl in your selection and If you do why didnt you play it for the crowd. They were clearly looking for a bit of fun.

Reeks of a self obsessed DJ who cant play to the given crowd. Change your attitude or DJ in other premises.

Its not much good playing to nobody or playing rubbish that doesnt get the audience involved

Also what the hell has galway girl got to do with Sport. Sure they play that Sh**e anywhere.

Saw that - it was actually at Citywest, just inside the Dublin county boundary

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

At London’s Freemason’s Tavern representatives from 12 clubs and schools from the London area met to bang out a code for the game.

Damn, Freemasons really do run everything!

You clearly know nothing about GAA whatsoever... Cathcment areas are based entirely on parishes. The only a person can play for without transferring is the one based in the parish they reside in, or the one in which their parents resided at the time of their birth. People whos parish doesnt have a club can play for whoever they want.
    But you can have more than one club in a Parish, so in that case there isn't really 'the Parish team'. Take Navan Parsh - you have O'Mahonys, Simonstown & Bective GAA clubs, and there was previously a fourth De La Salle

Under the charge of Ebenezer Cobb Morley,

Ha, I thought that Ebenezer was a made up Dickensian name!!

Fantastic.

Sean O'Brien, Shane Horgan, Rob Kearney and Devin Toner would all beg to differ, they'll be around for a word shortly...

Right. I wont be in. Need a haircut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 eddie12

I hate this nonsense.
    Keep politics out of sport and just enjoy it for what it is.
    I'm from Leinster, played rugby(wasnt too bad), played gaelic(feckin useless).
    A lot of the younger rugby lads where I'm from play gaelic during the summer to keep fit and have a bit of craic and we have recently got some of the gaelic players coming over to play a few games of rugby in the winter(they make great backs with the ball handling and kicking skills learned playing gaelic).
    At a higher level you'd have to make a choice between the two but when you are just tricking about like most of us, it doesnt matter.
    To be honest was never aware of the hatred spouted by some here.
    They are two sports that we can be very proud of.
    Hurling is fabulous to watch and I can imagine that its great fun to play but again, I'm ****e at it. Gaelic is smashing to watch too and I really admire the dedication that most players put into their training(I know a few lads playing at county level, albeit Wicklow and Carlow:D), I was always too big and clumsy to enjoy playing it. More of a Forrest gump kind of sportsman...hand me the ball, point me in the right direction and let me run:D
    I loved beating the D4 heads in rugby(hated losing), a large amount of them were a-holes who really looked down their noses at us boggers. But thats only a small section of the rugby playing population in leinster. Alas, they are the most vocal though.
    I remember being in a doctors surgery and spotting tickets to a leinster match on his desk. We got talking about rugby and he started to rant furiously... "the proplem with dublin rugby is that its played by the soft underbelly of society", "we need more rough lads that arent concerned with messing up their hair in a ruck". I couldnt stop laughing.
    So for feck sake, play and watch whatever you want and stop trying to convince yourselves that you are more irish by playing one or the other because it doesnt feckin matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

However, Leinster rugby support comes from D4.

Really? Wow. I'm from Wicklow, last time I checked I always have been and yet I'm a Leinster fan! Thats madness, nobody told me I wasn't allowed to.

To say something like that is as ignorant as saying Muster is Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

IIMII wrote: »
    But you can have more than one club in a Parish, so in that case there isn't really 'the Parish team'. Take Navan Parsh - you have O'Mahonys, Simonstown & Bective GAA clubs, and there was previously a fourth De La Salle

Then people in that parish can play for any of the three clubs but not any clubs outside, as that would violate the parish rule.

Thats madness, nobody told me I wasn't allowed to.

There was a memo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

genericguy wrote: »

tell that to the professional aussies that struggle to come to terms with it :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

You're kicking the ball 50 feet in the air, out of your F'ing hands FFS, how can you bleedin' miss?????

Its where you are kicking it ( and fielding of course). Hard to miss kicking a ball on the ground, too. easy to misskick, but easy to kick.

the skill is in where it ends up. Not actually making contact with the ball and foot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

Its a good sport, but there is a defnate lack of skill in some areas - all you need are big lads with a decent aim and you're sorted. Yeah, there's a lot of skill in running with the ball, etc., but on the whole it's not half as skillful as rugby, hurling or soccer.

And I HATE people who think they're irish-er than thou because they were their county jersey every sunday to mass in the weeks before September. Seriously, where as these people during the rest of the season?! Irish whe it suits them/when they need to be 'seen'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭Sunset V

mandaiben wrote: »
    A conservative would see it as unpatriotic. Sadly there's a lot of them.

This is the best to describe the situation in my opinion. Absolutely spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Nah sure everyone supports London GAA, don't they!? It seems to be the cool thing among the majority of us Irish to support foreign teams in Britain, may aswell be consistent.

Then people in that parish can play for any of the three clubs but not any clubs outside, as that would violate the parish rule.
    Em, no I don't think so, but maybe you'll check. AFAIK, if there is more than one one club in an area, I think they divide into zones

Anyway, the whole point of geographic division is to give every club a population to draw from, not religious or other reasons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

In Donegal it's about 50-50 soccer/GAA, I never got told I was unpatriotic for preferring soccer and hating GAA. I did get told I was unpatriotic for hating Paddy's Day and the IRA mind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

In Donegal it's about 50-50 soccer/GAA, I never got told I was unpatriotic for preferring soccer and hating GAA. I did get told I was unpatriotic for hating Paddy's Day and the IRA mind you.

But soccer would be a mainly following of Celtic, Man Utd, etc... and not Finn Harps who get an average of 524 at their home matches.:rolleyes: If you're telling me Donegal GAA gets 524 people at their matches I'll eat my shoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

OP, if you dont want to be asked to play county songs you shouldn't DJ in Coppers.

I never said i didnt want to play the song, just that i hated the GAA.
    But, if you answer a question such as "Will you play Galway Girl" with, "No I won't because I hate the GAA", then you ar a moron.

I never said that, read the original post again.
    OP

Back to the original question, Why dont you have Galway Girl in your selection and If you do why didnt you play it for the crowd. They were clearly looking for a bit of fun.

Reeks of a self obsessed DJ who cant play to the given crowd. Change your attitude or DJ in other premises.

Its not much good playing to nobody or playing rubbish that doesnt get the audience involved

Also what the hell has galway girl got to do with Sport. Sure they play that Sh**e anywhere.

I lol'd.... a lot.

It was funny the amount of posts refering to the song and maybe i should have made it a bit clearer in my first post. Two people came up to me and asked me to say 'Up the Deise' and 'Up the Rebels' they also asked me to play Galway Girl. I said i would play the song but that was all i would do. I was asked why and i said it was because i don't like the GAA and even if i did like the GAA i wouldn't show favouritism to any county. I was then met with the 'you're not a real Irishman if ya don't like GAA' and 'you should show pride in your county' Really? Pride in my county. What song did you want played again Cork boy?

Thanks Terry you can do the necessary again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,627 ✭✭✭veryangryman

super-rush wrote: »

Two people came up to me and asked me to say 'Up the Deise' and 'Up the Rebels' they also asked me to play Galway Girl. I said i would play the song but that was all i would do. I was asked why and i said it was because i don't like the GAA and even if i did like the GAA i wouldn't show favouritism to any county. I was then met with the 'you're not a real Irishman if ya don't like GAA' and 'you should show pride in your county' Really? Pride in my county. What song did you want played again Cork boy?

That is a moronic statement. Showing pride in your county does not negate showing respect for others. Lord, were not all jam packed into a big civil war

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement