Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mitsubishi RVR 4x4 (Space runner)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Well, I've driven a 2.0 SpaceRunner, and no word of a lie, it is the worst thing I have driven/tried to sell.

The three door is a bit of a pain, mainly because it only has 3 doors, for something which has no reason not to have four.

The engine isn't powerful for a 2.0, it's high on tax and likes petrol.

The interior is very boring, and they're just not a nice place to be in.

TBH, I wouldn't recommend one to my worst enemy, but that's basing it on an Irish market and the only one I've seen/driven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 AÆ

Well, I've driven a 2.0 SpaceRunner, and no word of a lie, it is the worst thing I have driven/tried to sell.

The three door is a bit of a pain, mainly because it only has 3 doors, for something which has no reason not to have four.

The engine isn't powerful for a 2.0, it's high on tax and likes petrol.

The interior is very boring, and they're just not a nice place to be in.

TBH, I wouldn't recommend one to my worst enemy, but that's basing it on an Irish market and the only one I've seen/driven.

Thanks for ur input....I actually like the 3 door and since its only myself an my gf its not that a big of a deal....i just like the 3 door more as it looks less like a mpv

I was looking at the 1.8....anything with 4x4 is going to be a pain on fuel...but i think nz has some weird rules on diesel vehicles which i have not figured out yet..

The interior is indeed boring...as with teh spacestar...but i liked it....actually i would get a spacestar but they dont sell them in nz (produced in holland) and i figure i might aswell get something with awd.

In the end i just was a fairly cheap utilitarian vehicle with a high position and this is the best i have come up with so far.....:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,479 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

there's loads of cars that fit the bill. I'd suggest you go to www.tradecarview.com and see what Nissan/Toyota/Honda/Mitsu do in 4WD estates or mini MPVs. you can filter out things like body style, engine size, FWD/4WD etc. it'll throw up a lot of models that we don't get here, but are available in Japan and NZ.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    there's loads of cars that fit the bill. I'd suggest you go to www.tradecarview.com and see what Nissan/Toyota/Honda/Mitsu do in 4WD estates or mini MPVs. you can filter out things like body style, engine size, FWD/4WD etc. it'll throw up a lot of models that we don't get here, but are available in Japan and NZ.

Thanks....didnt find the site that helpful but ur idea of a Honda gave me a very good alternative...

On demand AWD(frugal), 1600cc (frugal) mated with a CVT auto ( i like these autos and also frugal) and quirky looks...anyone take a guess..

HondaHR-V161032003173750.jpg

Honda HRV. Which would be perfect except...they seem expensive over there (moving to nz is expensive enough so need to be somewhat tight!) and in the auction site i was looking at...they had none...so must not be a big business in importing them for some reason..

So the choice is still with the RVR solely based on value for money...for now....but i do enjoy looking :)

Does anyone have any other suggestions.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Ha Ha, a mate of mine in Limerick has one of these as his main car, well actually it's the convertable version;

mitsubishi_rvr_3491051_3_orig.jpg

I still remember the day when we were driving through Ranelagh on a sunny day and he put back the roof...... I would have been embarrassed if I wasn't laughing so hard!

S.

• Advertisement

:eek::eek::pac::pac:

I dont know if i like it or hate it.......but it is pure magic. Never knew that they came in convertible mode......so weird....and yet....so wonderful.

Its seems funny to ask but did he have any problems with his 'car'

Thanks dude for teh picture.....u made a man laugh out loud in Buenos Aires..

[edit]
    tried to find a 'convertible' or removeable top for the rvr but cant find one on google....just so curious...anyone up for the challenge for finding a removable roof rvr ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

wrote: »

I was looking at the 1.8....anything with 4x4 is going to be a pain on fuel...but i think nz has some weird rules on diesel vehicles which i have not figured out yet..
    NZ has a system where diesel is all the same price, there is no such thing as Agricultural diesel, or green diesel.
    BUT in order to extract the difference from the motorist a diesel road vehicle buys mileage in units of 5k, 10k kms etc.
    This gets you a small card which you stick inside the windscreen.
    If a police pulls you and you haven't paid the mileage up to date they can prosecute.

In NZ you might as well buy a 1.8 or 2.0 litre petrol, there is no capacity tax like here and NZ has some steep hills where a 2.0 is needed, plus you will need the Aircon in summer:D

CJhaughey wrote: »
    NZ has a system where diesel is all the same price, there is no such thing as Agricultural diesel, or green diesel.
    BUT in order to extract the difference from the motorist a diesel road vehicle buys mileage in units of 5k, 10k kms etc.
    This gets you a small card which you stick inside the windscreen.
    If a police pulls you and you haven't paid the mileage up to date they can prosecute.

In NZ you might as well buy a 1.8 or 2.0 litre petrol, there is no capacity tax like here and NZ has some steep hills where a 2.0 is needed, plus you will need the Aircon in summer:D

Thanks...i had seen adverts on diesel models where they referred to x kms left and i couldnt figure it out...

So i figure then that a petrol awd vehicle is probably the best way to go...

By chance i found that the auction site does sell HRVs but it was listed as HR-V..

So i probably will go for something like this
    4-5k NZ dollars (2k plus euro)
    http://www.turners.co.nz/Vehicles/Pages/Vehicle.aspx?RefID=642966&scrpage=sea

...its manual to my preferred CVT but i guess i save on fuel consumption.....and the CVT can give problems with more k's on the clock..safer to stick with a manual when looking at high kms...its only a 1.6..which should be great on petrol.....its not awd but 4 wheel drive on demand which makes more sense...and ...( this from someone who had a desktop background of volvo 480s) has the quirky looks that i want..

reviews
    http://www.carsurvey.org/reviews/honda/hr-v/1999/

So the winner is.....(whilst i love the RVR...i just know its going to be a pain on petrol)... the HRV.......well for now anyhow....:D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Another option is the Mazda Bongo Frendee.. they are basically 8 seaters minivans that turn into campervans and some have a roof that can be raised..
    Diesel, 4wd and auto boxes in most.. so might be worth having a look.

I know a guy who has one and uses it as his weekend surf van, works a treat for him on cheap trips to the west of ireland.

Couldnt find any for sale in NZ but some guy up north is selling one here and will give you an idea of what they are like.

Bongo Linky

Tox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,479 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

wrote: »
    Thanks....didnt find the site that helpful but ur idea of a Honda gave me a very good alternative...

On demand AWD(frugal), 1600cc (frugal) mated with a CVT auto ( i like these autos and also frugal) and quirky looks...anyone take a guess..

They're not economical at all, the manual 4WD is shockingly hard on juice, I shudder to think that the CVT is like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

I'm going to have to disagree about buying a Petrol over a Diesel. When I was there earlier this year, Diesel was almost 40c cheaper per litre..... We saved an absolute fortune while there.

S.

I'm going to have to disagree about buying a Petrol over a Diesel. When I was there earlier this year, Diesel was almost 40c cheaper per litre..... We saved an absolute fortune while there.

S.

Good point.....but do u know of any soft roader which comes in diesel.....the nissan Quashqai would be one but too new for my wallet..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Motors

RVR Sport Gear X3 nice powerfull car,great commuter around all ,i have 2.0 l petrol turbo version,250 BHP under bonnet,and i'm happy:D

Advertisement