Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Job

Options
  • 14-06-2009 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

Hi there, is there anyone one on here who would know any place who would take me on for the summer. I'm 2 months short of 16 and would be willing to do anything. I'm available from July 7th onwards. PM me if you can help.
    Thanks very much,
    ciandon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

CianDon wrote: »
    Hi there, is there anyone one on here who would know any place who would take me on for the summer. I'm 2 months short of 16 and would be willing to do anything. I'm available from July 7th onwards. PM me if you can help.
    Thanks very much,
    ciandon

Might be a bit to young. Most places wont hire until your 16. Try your local petrol station tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

Try john graces fried chicken, when you do hit 16 that is. I did a year there when I was ur age. or do a stint in a butchers, they always looking for a young fella to do all the nasty jobs around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

try brookfield hotel and leisure centre, i think they used to have a few young fellas working in the pool, you couldnt do bar work but there might be some kitchen work, its only seasonal, you get fed on the job and the moneys ok. its a nice place i did three summers there!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Wait until you are 16. No law abiding employer will hire you at 15.
    If they are caught then they pay a heavy fine.

How about trying things like mowing lawns, walking dogs, washing cars etc... stuff that people may need doing in your area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

Put a notice up in your local supermarket - like kingtut says people will need lawns cut, fences painted etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

kingtut wrote: »
    Wait until you are 16. No law abiding employer will hire you at 15.
    If they are caught then they pay a heavy fine.

How about trying things like mowing lawns, walking dogs, washing cars etc... stuff that people may need doing in your area?

+1. Some good ideas there by kingtut

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

Years ago we used to pick stawberries at the local fruit farm for 3 or 4 hours in the morning ( usually 6- 10 ) is there a fruit farm near you looking for casual labour . That time you got paid for what you picked so there was no hourly rate but it was handy pocket money if you kept your head down & worked & didn't eat too many strawberries

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

bertie1 wrote: »
    Years ago we used to pick stawberries at the local fruit farm for 3 or 4 hours in the morning ( usually 6- 10 ) is there a fruit farm near you looking for casual labour . That time you got paid for what you picked so there was no hourly rate but it was handy pocket money if you kept your head down & worked & didn't eat too many strawberries

god that brings me back!! I hated strawberry picking but as you said, it was a means to some cash so I worked at it!

As also said here already, walk around your area and ask if people want some handy work done, grass cutting etc. The problem with grass cutting is that people nearly may expect you to have your own mower and will you be able to get hands on one?
    Myself and a friend also went around our local housing estate offering car washing..we based it on being 'local'. We introduced ourselves and said where we were from before doing our sales pitch! It was a good idea because once people realised we were local lads looking for some pocket money we did quite well from it.

Insurance these days may be another reason why people may be reluctant to hire you for handy work..it's sad I know.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

If you are a bit handy with a screw driver then you could advertise he installation of flat pack furniture. I made loads a mulla when I was a little boy doing this ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭CianDon

Thanks for the ideas. I'd heard something about 16 but wasn't sure so came here. There is a farmer down the road from me and I'll definately get onto them as soon as possible.
    CianDon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement