Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Made a raised veggie bed, food?

Options
  • 14-06-2009 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

Hi
    As post states, i today made a raised mini vegatable patch in my garden. New build, and it was just back breaking trying to dig a proper patch, very clay soil. That project is for next year.
    So anyhow, i've planted onions, brocolli, beetroot, pumpkin and mangetout in this raised patch of broken up clay soil, good 'soil', sand and peat, all mixed up. All veggies were established shoots, can i feed them with 'tomato feed' that i have on hand, or am i better just leaving them alone? I have kids depending on them!
    Anyone done anything similiar? I also have aubergines, chilli's and peppers growing in pots in south facing sun type room. They are shooting up! Shall i leave these to their own devices?? Too lazy to google, boards so good for this stuff.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

With seedlings, always water them in well and wait until they start to establish. Then feed them weekly according to the instructions on your plant food packet.

Tomato food can usually be used on all vegetables, but again, the guidelines for use of each brand is on the box and that's what you need to follow. It's very important, because different fertilisers have different release times. I had a disagreement recently with someone at my garden centre over citrus fertiliser - I have trees in pots, and the usual food I use (water soluble) was sold out. She handed me a bag of fertiliser granules. The granules are for use around the drip line of established trees that are planted out, and shouldn't be used within 30cms of the trunk of the tree. I said as much and she huffed at me that they'd be fine.

They might well be, but my trees, including the pots and the soil in the pots, would be over a hundred bucks apiece to replace, so I told her I'd pass, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

Thanks for your reply. I did give them a good watering in, although nature helped too with relentless showers yesterday. I'll give them a week or two to settle in and give them a little feeding to boost them along their way.

Advertisement