Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FL Studio - Do any professional producers use it?

Options
  • 14-06-2009 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I've been using FL studio 8 for the last 4 months or so, have really got the hang of it and it just seems pretty good as a DAW(Good as in I just put down some ideas in it, have never actually created a full length fully mixed and mastered song). But I heard its only good for techno/electronica music which I don't really do.

Do any professional producers use FL studio as a DAW for anything besides electronic music?

Is it a good DAW in your opinion? From my amateur POV its pretty good but theres no point taking months to learn a DAW that doesn't suit my music style.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

I've never met anyone who does.

It's mostly PTools and Logic in the pro game with some ole timers on Digital Performer ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

DeadMau5 & his Mate Steve Duda.

Matthew Dear.

Mike Oldfield.

http://flstudio.image-line.com/documents/powerusers.html

The main point from all of this is that they use other programs / hardware equipment also.

FL seems to just be a sketchpad to most.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

ICN wrote: »
    DeadMau5 & his Mate Steve Duda.

Matthew Dear.

Mike Oldfield.

http://flstudio.image-line.com/documents/powerusers.html

The main point from all of this is that they use other programs / hardware equipment also.

FL seems to just be a sketchpad to most.

i think the deadmau5 endorsement might have something to do with the fact he was an Image Line employee before his meteoric rise to fame.

Haven't heard of anyone seriously using it as a DAW outside of the FL endorsement list. But that means nothing. If it works for you, it works for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Only used as a note-pad or just to play around with. Remember seeing Mike Hedges using it just for fun when it first came out.

I'd imagine 8 is a little more advanced but I doubt if it would have the features I'd need to do a full on gig.

Logic, Nuendo or Pro-Tools seem to be weapons of choice in Europe anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

jtsuited wrote: »
    i think the deadmau5 endorsement might have something to do with the fact he was an Image Line employee before his meteoric rise to fame..

Doesnt surprise me at all.

He's such a geek :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Though not yet at a point where my music is proving me with a traditional rock n' roll lifestyle and income, I have produced a number of albums in the ambient/space music/downtempo genres using FL Studio.

If I'd never had to perform live I'd still be using FL Studio. I have found it since v3 up to v7 a very intuitive way to work and it was easy to use when it came time to mix as well. The built in Parametric Equalisers were a joy to work with so you could easily ensure even as a beginner that not too many frequencies were conflicting (a big issue with me as I like to build up loads of pads that can easily turn into a mud pool). The idea that you get free upgrades for life is a cool selling point as well.

In the last year I moved to Ableton Live so that I could do more live work and though I love the creative flow of working in Live I certainly miss things like an intuitive platform for mixing that was one of the hallmarks of FL Studio as far as I reckon. I've yet to turn out a mix in Live that I'm happy with but could deal with such a task in FL Studio quite easily.

I'm sure there are other DAWs that can do things more professionally and have been considering Cubase on the basis of seeing it in action some time back but I still think FL Studio is a hugely underrated solution and a great way to get going with your music if you've already started to develop a taste for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

The dubstep producer Skream uses FL Studio. Basshunter also uses it. Aswell as that the hip hop producer 9th Wonder uses it. He's worked with Nas, Mary J. Blige, Jay Z and Destinys Child to name but a few.
    jtsuited wrote: »
    Haven't heard of anyone seriously using it as a DAW outside of the FL endorsement list. But that means nothing. If it works for you, it works for you.

Have a look at this jtsuited. http://www.digitalmusicdoctor.com/press/music_software_popularity_2009Q1.htm

Apparently FL Studio is the 2nd most popular DAW behind Pro Tools.

Bear in mind this chart is based on search engine activity.

flyswatter wrote: »

Really ? That's very interesting.

I guess the Macs strength over here on the Pro side may impede it's progress here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    Really ? That's very interesting.

I guess the Macs strength over here on the Pro side may impede it's progress here.

Yeah I saw the survey mentioned in Image Lines monthly newsletter. I'd imagine they'd be delighted with the findings. Bear in mind though that Reason was 14th in that list. :eek: I don't think that fully represents Reasons popularity as I'm led to believe it's extremely popular.

Yeah I saw the survey mentioned in Image Lines monthly newsletter. I'd imagine they'd be delighted with the findings. Bear in mind though that Reason was 14th in that list. :eek: I don't think that fully represents Reasons popularity as I'm led to believe it's extremely popular.

I guess it's regional and up to how it's promoted by the company and/or distributor in each territory.

So it's success may not reflect it's worth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

The dubstep producer Skream uses FL Studio. Basshunter also uses it. Aswell as that the hip hop producer 9th Wonder uses it. He's worked with Nas, Mary J. Blige, Jay Z and Destinys Child to name but a few.

Have a look at this jtsuited. http://www.digitalmusicdoctor.com/press/music_software_popularity_2009Q1.htm

You can't really believe all that tbh, Pro Tools is 1 in search engine listings as it is the de-facto standard(Or so I think?) for most pro studios.

FL studio 8 is pretty cheap for what you get, even the XXL at $399 its pretty cheap so thats why its attractive for amateurs like myself.

I tried out cubase before and just could not get my head around it, it was unbelievably complex looking and I couldn't even figure out how to make a pattern.

I've been dying to try out Pro Tools once but no one I know actually has it(Probably because it needs specific hardware, the mbox?)

It looks to be pretty powerful.

I dunno really, FL Studio works for me but if theres something that will give what I make that extra bit I would take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

laidback luke uses it

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JoshNeville

Anyone here know of anywhere i can get my macbook sorted to run fl studio? have it on my toshiba laptop but the sound and cpu are crap compared to my macbook!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭Minjor

Anyone here know of anywhere i can get my macbook sorted to run fl studio? have it on my toshiba laptop but the sound and cpu are crap compared to my macbook!

You have to use this beta version that they are working on. http://http://www.image-line.com/documents/news.php?entry_id=1378290309&title=fl-studio-mac-os-x-beta That or use bootcamp to run it.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭paulo6891

A large number of dance music producers use it. Deadmau5 doesn't though, there are loads of streams from his studio online. Don't pay attention to whichever DAW is most popular either, those poles are flawed.

paulo6891 wrote: »
    A large number of dance music producers use it. Deadmau5 doesn't though, there are loads of streams from his studio online. Don't pay attention to whichever DAW is most popular either, those poles are flawed.

Deadmau5 used to work for Image Line, who make FL Studio.

Ableton is his thing for live stuff but he uses multiple DAWs for production including FL.

He says it himself here in this video. Old video though, so I can't say whether he still uses it.

Yeah man he defo does? I remember him talking about it before.
    A lot of "Strobe" sounds very FL studioish.

I don't understand what you mean. A song can't sound like it was made in a certain DAW. Strobe could have been made the same way in any programme out there. A DAW doesn't impact the sound. That's down to EQing, compression, filters, synth settings. Its in control of the producer not the software itself if you get me.

Yeah man he defo does? I remember him talking about it before.

He defo doesn't. As I said, check one of the dozens of live streams of him producing, and you will see that it is not fruity loops that he is using.
    A lot of "Strobe" sounds very FL studioish.

No it doesn't. Minjor is spot on.

That article is nearly 10 years old. Possibly 5 years before Strobe was released. Have you even looked at the videos I mentioned? Because it clearly shows him producing in Ableton. I'm guessing you're an FL user.

I only say it because it sounds like you're trying to justify the decision to use FL. A sound can not sound like it came from FL, or any other DAW for that matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

There are quite a few big Hip Hop producers that work with FL Sudio, Lex Luger would be one of them. He worked with Jay Z, Kanye West, Snoop Dogg. I personally never liked FL even for just playing around, Ableton and Pro Tools were always my top picks.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭guitarrrszz

most of hiphop today is produced in fl studio, such an underrated daw

Advertisement