Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street fighter 4 PC Benchmark Tool

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Jesus kirby I could really go into this but I don't want to. Your still seeing this from a console fanboy perspective and not an online gamers perspective. Live sucks balls compared to PC online gaming, and PC online gaming is free. However better it is compared to PSN, really is minimal, then theres all the restrictions Microsoft put on things.

The only company you should have to go though to do your online gaming is your ISP, once you've payed your ISP you should be able to do whatever you want, download demos / games at whatever file size you want. You can't do that with live and they ****in charge you for it. & as a pc gamer that disgusts me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    Jesus kirby I could really go into this but I don't want to. Your still seeing this from a console fanboy perspective and not an online gamers perspective. Live sucks balls compared to PC online gaming, and PC online gaming is free. However better it is compared to PSN, really is minimal, then theres all the restrictions Microsoft put on things.

The only company you should have to go though to do your online gaming is your ISP, once you've payed your ISP you should be able to do whatever you want, download demos / games at whatever file size you want. You can't do that with live and they ****in charge you for it. & as a pc gamer that disgusts me.

:rolleyes:. I'm hardly a "console fanboy" I have played thousands of hours of Counter-strike, and about 100 DAYS worth of WoW.....which is a PC exclusive. Ive been hardcore PC since Red alert 1 came out......over a decade ago. That really isn't the issue. The issue is the sense of entitlement people have.

You have any idea how much it costs to operate on an online infrastructure to cater for millions of people? You expect too much for nothing. I am happy to pay for a service that is good, and that works.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Kirby wrote: »
    :rolleyes:. I'm hardly a "console fanboy" I have played thousands of hours of Counter-strike, and about 100 DAYS worth of WoW.....which is a PC exclusive. Ive been hardcore PC since Red alert 1 came out......over a decade ago. That really isn't the issue. The issue is the sense of entitlement people have.

You have any idea how much it costs to operate on an online infrastructure to cater for millions of people? You expect too much for nothing. I am happy to pay for a service that is good, and that works.

I hate to go off topic, but World of Warcraft doesnt count. :D

I have to agree with cunny on this though

Well, I think stating you are an avid player of the best selling PC game of the past five years is relevant to being called a console fanboy.....even if it IS WoW :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

I dont think live is all that much better than psn at this stage. No where near being that much better that they are charging for it. The only reason I pay for it is to play fps games on the 360 controller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I miss Sega & the DC.

Kirby wrote: »
    :rolleyes:. I'm hardly a "console fanboy"

Sorry man, I wasn't exactly calling you a console fanboy, you kept steering the discussion back to a "console fanboy 360 v PS3 discussion" is what I meant , rather then online gaming as a whole. As an ex hardcore PC gamer though I'm surprised by your opinions. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I don't think live would be any different if it was free, nor do I think PSN would be any different if it cost money. They're both ****e. Microsoft just took advantage of peoples ignorance to online gaming. Hell live is a step backwards when its put on a PC game, its a damn limitation.

Microsoft just want full control over all the online gaming on the console, and thus limits it, and then asks you to pay them for doing so... and some how managed to trick people into thinking this was a fantastic thing. Your limited in what you can download. A company can't make an online game with their own online lobby and features, they're restricted by microsoft. PSN are the same. Microsoft are at least good when it comes to making their stuff easy to develop for, unlike Sony this generation. And this is why everything sucks more on PSN, cause Sony are idiots, not cause its free.

Anyway as I said we'll have to agree to disagree, I don't wanna piss you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

My heart is broken trying to run SFIV on my laptop, it really isn't going to happen.

As I would really like to have a go at the PC community here as a lot of you guys are on that medium, would really like to get some fights in with you lot.

I'm going to attempt to get it running on my macbook. (Bloody hell I hate that thing.)

This means getting windows onto my mac, anyone any experience with this?
    (bootcamp looks to be my best bet,) and anything I should look out for?

What are the specs of your macbook? Whats the graphics card? 8600m?

& out of interest what were the specs of your laptop?

I'm not a mac head so I can't help advise you on bootcamp etc, but I do know specs... :P

Would be sweet if you got on the pc version, I've yet to play you. A honda would be a nice addition!

Holy thread revival Batman! Although it is funny looking back at this discussion nearly five months on. :p

• Advertisement

Kirby speaking of people on the pc version , I never see you playing SF4 no more :( I'd love to play more of your sim. Although maybe gimmie some time to get used to my stick :p

A-Trak, if you have a Macbook instead of a Macbook Pro, I would just forget about 3D gaming on it -- AFAIK, just not gonna happen.

Then again, I have a MBP but only 128mb VRAM, so it's not gonna happen for myself either! :(

IMHO, your best bet would be to trade/sell your MB to some poor student (not me :D) and buy a Windows 7 laptop with a decent GPU.

What are the specs of your macbook? Whats the graphics card? 8600m?

Yup, have GFX card GeForce 8600M GT, which I think is dedicated, so hopefully should be ok in that respect.

H/w specs are:
      Model Name: MacBook Pro Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz Number Of Processors: 1 Total Number Of Cores: 2 L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB Memory: 2 GB Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Windows laptop has a shyte onboard chipset, will not work at all. Have tried emus and lowered all options to bottom and still only gettin 10 FPS on the benchmark.

So unless I can convince my boss that a need a better machine with a dedicated card to view spreadsheets, the mac is my bet option.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    A-Trak, if you have a Macbook instead of a Macbook Pro, I would just forget about 3D gaming on it -- AFAIK, just not gonna happen.

Then again, I have a MBP but only 128mb VRAM, so it's not gonna happen for myself either! :(

Looks like I've 256 of VRAM according to the specs. So would meet minimum windows spec.

But as I'm using 10.4 OS I'd need to either upgrade to Leopard or buy a dedicated windows dual boot package for OSX.
    Minimum outlay for this & the game would be approx €60 - €70.

If it crept up any more than that I'd look at building a desktop as I could the use it for more then SFIV and I wouldn't care about it not being mobile. (And source the components cheapy through work too.

I can upgrade you to Snow Leopard if you want - my disc has some spare licenses on it.
    However, for dual-booting you'd have to get a Windows license/install disc somehow - maybe ask the IT guys in work?
    Then you'll want to save some space for that dual-boot installer (though IIRC Snow Leopard is smaller than Tiger as far as install space goes).

my laptops gotta 8600m gt, its runs sf4 at 60fps with all the fancy stuff off. Which is grand for a 15" laptop. Its a dell vostro in case anyones wondering..

Kirby speaking of people on the pc version , I never see you playing SF4 no more :( I'd love to play more of your sim. Although maybe gimmie some time to get used to my stick :p

Yeh I haven't played much lately. Fifa, GTA and mainly dragon age. Thats what meet ups are for i suppose. :)

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I can upgrade you to Snow Leopard if you want - my disc has some spare licenses on it.
    However, for dual-booting you'd have to get a Windows license/install disc somehow - maybe ask the IT guys in work?

Fair Play Kiki, I'll take you up on that offer:D (And I'll buy you a pint for it.)
    Will bring my Macbook along next time I'm in the XGC. I think I've an XP sp2 disk somewhere so shouldn't have a problem with that.

Will 10.6 install over tiger or do I need to put leopard on 1st?

I know you don't run SFIV on your Macbook, but have you got any sticks working with Snow Leopard? (Xbox)

There is a 360-compat driver out there, though I mainly use it for testing (no games on Mac ;)
    Internet reports show that there's no problem going from Tiger (10.4) to Snow Leopard (10.6) -- Apple just expects that you bought their new shiny OS a year ago :D
    As with any upgrade, I would recommend the following first:
    1. Backup any important files you may have -- just in case.
    2. Open Disk Utility and do both
      • Repair Disk Permissions
      • Verify (and/or Repair) Disk
    3. Check to see if you have any important applications you use regularly which aren't supported on SL
    See you Sat!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

A-Trak wrote: »
    Will bring my Macbook along next time I'm in the XGC.

Hey a-trak, be careful that kiki doesn't try to steal it on you :P

• Advertisement

I'd be more worried about you nicking it Terry, seeing as the operating system I currently have on it is called Tiger.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

A-Trak wrote: »
    I'd be more worried about you nicking it Terry, seeing as the operating system I currently have on it is called Tiger.

badum-tish.jpg

animaX wrote: »
    Hey a-trak, be careful that kiki doesn't try to steal it on you :P

There's an in-joke there that those of you who weren't there on saturday will not get!

animaX wrote: »
    There's an in-joke there that those of you who weren't there on saturday will not get!
    Whuuuuuuut?
    That's BS!
    [/DSP]

So take pity on us poor fools who missed out and fill us in on the in-joke eh? :o

:p

So take pity on us poor fools who missed out and fill us in on the in-joke eh? :o

:p

No, not knowing is your punishment for not showing up!

Pssh.... coffee.gif

I'll find out one day..../cry

In your face Apple!

Thanks to help from KO Kiki I have SFIV running on my Macbook, and at pretty much full tilt with all settings maxed, and runs at a solid 60fps.
    With all the installs took a paltry 6 hours.

1st impressions of the PC crowd are mixed, and I've a bunch of questions too.

Will post up tomorrow.

Big thanks to Kiki.

Edit GFWL: I Am the Wal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Savage stuff man, now I can play you when i'm too lazy to go on the xbox (90% of the time)

• Advertisement

Right a few questions from a PC SFIV noobs perspective.

Whats the best setup for frame rate?

I can run nearly everything close to max offline @ 60fps, but it's a crazily mixed bag online.
    I played an Irish player last night, and it was unbelievably fast, way quicker than I'm used to on the Xbox in terms of game speed. Made my timing a nightmare.

Then when I played another lad, although connection seemed fine, game was in slow motion?

What are the best settings for optimising online play?

Advertisement