Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Room Height

• 15-06-2009 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a building that is divided into two self contained apartments (own mprn,esb meter,entrance,etc).see photo's

The property I'm assessing is on the top floor.

It has its own front door with an entrance hall and a stairs to the habitable area above(separate from the ground floor apartment).

My questions are:
    1. In DEAP,is it 2 stories (ground floor and first floor)

2. To get the room height, the ground floor entrance hall height is measured from ground to ceiling as normal

The habitable area upstairs is also measured from floor to ceiling (like a mid floor apartment above a ground floor apartment)

This leaves me with the section of the habitable floor area upstairs directly over the ground floor entrance hall.
    Do I have to give this area a different room height (floor to ceiling + 250mm,to allow for first floor depth over this area).

3. Does the 10% rule apply to room heights

Any comments welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Looks like there could be an external grade door at the bottom of the stairs,to a common area, in which case you could safely ignore the whole downstairs bit.The 2 storey thing is concerned with air infiltration, and heat which is generated downstairs rising under pressure to escape upstairs. Your place would not be like that, unless there was a rad at the bottom of the stairs.Why not e-mail SEI anyway, for future reference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭dunie001

ok here goes...im completely confused as to the set-up so might ask a few questions first:

1. Is there a door at the top of the stairs to access the first floor apartment?
    2. please take some more photos...it's extremely hard to figure out what the hell is going on!!

Ok, if and only IF there is no door between the front door and the upstairs apartment then the stairs would be counted as being part of the upstairs apartment.

However if there is another door at the top of the stairs isolating the upstairs from downstairs then you simply ignore the stairs completely and treat them like the stairs in an apartment block.

as far as i'm aware the floor to ceiling height is taken from the ceiling of the apartment downstairs to the ceiling of the apartment upstairs. But because they are seperate units maybe it's from floor to ceiling of the upstairs...im not too sure...ask SEI

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Longford Leader

dunie001 wrote: »
    ok here goes...im completely confused as to the set-up so might ask a few questions first:

1. Is there a door at the top of the stairs to access the first floor apartment?
    2. please take some more photos...it's extremely hard to figure out what the hell is going on!!

Ok, if and only IF there is no door between the front door and the upstairs apartment then the stairs would be counted as being part of the upstairs apartment.

However if there is another door at the top of the stairs isolating the upstairs from downstairs then you simply ignore the stairs completely and treat them like the stairs in an apartment block.

as far as i'm aware the floor to ceiling height is taken from the ceiling of the apartment downstairs to the ceiling of the apartment upstairs. But because they are seperate units maybe it's from floor to ceiling of the upstairs...im not too sure...ask SEI

Dunie001,recedite

There is no door separating the apartment from the stairs.

Contacted SEI and they advised:

The apartment is 2 stories (Ground & First Floor)

The room height to be calculated as per my post

No answer to 10% question

Advertisement