Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should dogs eat fruit?

Options
  • 15-06-2009 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

My dog loves fruit but not sure if he should get it. Does anyone know?? :confused:

I know dogs shouldn't eat cheese/dairy or eggs, but not sure about fruit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

What fruit? Generally, you shouldn't actively feed a dog fruit, but a small amount won't kill it. Too much fruit - esp. grapes or anything unwashed&treated with chemicals can be very bad, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭vodkababy

He loves apple, melon, and likes grapes. It's only in very small amounts, e.g. one grape/small cube of melon/small piece of apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭lil-evil

Dogs can suffer kidney failure after eating of large quantities of grapes and raisins. Apple seeds, cherry pits, and peach pits, pear pips, plums pits, peaches, and apricot pips contain cyanide, which is poisonous. Also if giving fruit make sure you peel the fruit as pestacides are harmful for the animal.

GENERALLY THOUGH I DON'T GIVE MY DOG'S ANYTING OTHER THAN PET FOOD.

lil-evil wrote: »
    Grapes will poison your dog ....

Thanks for letting me know. :) He won't be allowed grapes again.

Out of curiosity, What is it that makes them bad for them?

Karoma wrote: »
    What fruit? Generally, you shouldn't actively feed a dog fruit, but a small amount won't kill it. Too much fruit - esp. grapes or anything unwashed&treated with chemicals can be very bad, though.

Thanks for getting back to me :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭AlanSparrowhawk

I think you're right in not feeding your dog dairy products (milk, cheese) due to their lactose component which can't be digested by adult dogs. With regard to fruit and veg I would actually follow the same conventions you would for yourself

- fruit is high in sugar and should not be eaten in high doses
    - vegetables are generally ok
    - vegetables like potatoes should be cooked (raw potatoes are poisonous for humans and pets)

Other than that apprently onions and grapes/raisins are bad for pets according to this
    . While not scientifically proven I take their word for it.

Also chocolate should never be given to dog.

I think you're right in not feeding your dog dairy products (milk, cheese) due to their lactose component which can't be digested by adult dogs. With regard to fruit and veg I would actually follow the same conventions you would for yourself

- fruit is high in sugar and should not be eaten in high doses
    - vegetables are generally ok
    - vegetables like potatoes should be cooked (raw potatoes are poisonous for humans and pets)

Other than that apprently onions and grapes/raisins are bad for pets according to this
    . While not scientifically proven I take their word for it.

Also chocolate should never be given to dog.

Thanks for the information. Very helpful!!!

The dried dog food I get contains vegetables, so I knew they were grand for him. :)

I knew dogs weren't allowed chocolate, just forgot to mention it :)

Just read that web page in detail...you'd need some amount of grapes to reach the toxic level. Even if we ate that ratio we'd be ill. :eek:

Thankfully, he only had one grape, once in a blue moon...anyway...no more for him :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

I'm going to print out this thread and give it to my lab who's eating all my raspberries and strawberries right off the canes/plants whenever she gets the opportunity!:D

I'm going to print out this thread and give it to my lab who's eating all my raspberries and strawberries whenever she gets the opportunity!:D

Heehee

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭sunshinegirl

vodkababy wrote: »
    He loves apple, melon, and likes grapes. It's only in very small amounts, e.g. one grape/small cube of melon/small piece of apple.

my dog is the same she loves bit of those fruits,she also like a wee bit of banana and licking the end of the yougart pots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 teckster

vodkababy wrote: »

I know dogs shouldn't eat cheese/dairy or eggs, but not sure about fruit.

Dogs can (and should) eat eggs, dairy etc. and of course fruit and veg, even meat! They are from the same planet as we are ..

I never feed my dog commercial 'dogfood'. Only real food, organic ... :)

Advertisement