Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[US] True Blood - Season 2 [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Sam's arc is going from strength to strength which I'm chuffed with. I hope Hoyt has a bigger role next season as I think a fair few of us men can relate to the guy. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Kirby wrote: »
    Thats how they did it last season though. If you remember last seasons finale, Rene was dead with a good 25 minutes left of the episode to go and they spent the rest setting up next season....

Very true - I still felt the Maryann story ended more with a whimper, rather than a bang, like the René story last season though.

It was good they got it out of the way though, as the set up for next season was far more interesting. The queen is Erik's supplier, Sam searching for his birth parents (and they are very bad?), Jason wasting Eggs and Andy covering it up, Jessica feeding on a random trucker, Bill's proposal and subsequent disappearance.. all good stuff and lots to look forward to.

So all in all, not as strong as last season's finale, but still very good. Now I have to fill the gap with all the shows returning instead :).

Loved Jason's lines as usual, it was great when he was quoting movies and his last quote was "I love the smell of nail polish in the morning" :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

It was good...but I agree with what has been said. The Mary-Ann thing seemed a bit rushed,which is the complete opposite to the rest of the season where it was dragged out for ages. But as someone said that is what they did last year. Perhaps it was the 2 week wait,if it had only been a week then the Mary-Ann story might not have seemed so rushed. She did have a really cool death scene though!

Some other bits were just setting it up for next year,bit of a better cliffhanger this year as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Kirby wrote: »
    Thats how they did it last season though. If you remember last seasons finale, Rene was dead with a good 25 minutes left of the episode to go and they spent the rest setting up next season....which is what they did here.

I suppose last season I wouldn't have noticed it as I watched it straight through from the start up to midway through season 2 so it wasn't really a finale to me then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Sarn

Enjoyable. Plenty of plots for next season. The only thing I love/hate about the show is the cliffhanger at the end of each episode.

Another of Jason's "If a tree falls in the woods, it's still a tree ain't it."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Fraid I wasn't that impressed with the finale.. I remember the climax of the Rene storyline last year and the episode moved swiftly to a finish.. and more or less flew by.

Same couldn't be said for this one I thought. After Mary Ann's superb death, the episode just dragged and dragged and dragged.

Sam is quickly becoming one of the most interesting characters.. his storyline will be very interesting next year.

I couldn't care less for the cliffhanger. It's fairly obvious who it is tbh.. and let's not be naive, Bill is not in grave danger whatsoever!

Don't know.. a disappointing finale to a superb season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I really think True Blood works better if you watch it all in a big block. Half an hour of setting up the next season doesn't seem weird if you have just spent 11 hours leading up to the climax. But when you watch it week by week the pacing is weird.

I really didn't care about the MaryAnn story so I was glad to see it reach it's conclusion early. It was just too silly compared to last years serial killer story. Who the killer was kept you guessing, there was no hook for the MaryAnn story to keep me interested.

Thankfully Ball has made the characters from the novels his own and they are a joy to watch. But I really hope he diverges further away from the books as I believe they become sillier and sillier.

Eta: Hmm, just read the plot of book 2 on wiki. It's pretty different. Book plot spoiler, doubt it will spoil the series;
    MaryAnn (called Calisto) is in Bon Temp to recieve tribute from Eric as a bar owner as she serves the god of wine. LaFayette was found dead in Andy's car at the start of the story and he had been killed at a sex party which had nothing to do with Calisto. Sookie goes to a sex party with Eric (which I would have loved to have seen in the series). And Calisto kills the people who killed LaFayette and then leaves.
    now I feel sort of bad for accusing the books of being silly. It was sounds quite silly, but not as bad as the MaryAnn story. :(

Just a little factoid..

Remember the first shot of the interior of Merlotte's Bar after everything was more-or-less resolved and a woman says to Sam "well, I never expected anything like that to happen around here!" (or something to that effect).

This woman..

s2_79.jpg

That's Charlaine Harris (author of the Sookie Stackhouse novels) who filmed a cameo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

J-blk wrote: »
    Jason wasting Eggs and Andy covering it up

I think it was to show the complete reversal in their relationship from season 1. Season 1 had Andy hunting Jason and accusing him relentlessly that he was a murderer when he hadn't actually killed anyone. Now in this season he actually does kill someone and Andy is covering for him.

I take back what I said about Tara, her acting when she seen Eggs was dead was atrocious. In the last few episodes Tara has really gone downhill. Her range of emotions are basically confused and angry.

Aside from Sam I'm really interested in Sookies story now. Who this supposed power she feels is watching over her, and what her ability is with her hands.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

basquille wrote: »
    Fraid I wasn't that impressed with the finale.. I remember the climax of the Rene storyline last year and the episode moved swiftly to a finish.. and more or less flew by.

Same couldn't be said for this one I thought. After Mary Ann's superb death, the episode just dragged and dragged and dragged.

Sam is quickly becoming one of the most interesting characters.. his storyline will be very interesting next year.

I couldn't care less for the cliffhanger. It's fairly obvious who it is tbh.. and let's not be naive, Bill is not in grave danger whatsoever!

Don't know.. a disappointing finale to a superb season!

I agree with each line. After Mary Ann's death it was a filler episode for the next season really. Yes there were some subplots setting up a new story arc but it was a fizzle rather than a bang. Excellent season - but poor finale.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Got to voice a little bit of a disappointment to for all the reasons above. When Tara/Terra said she felt it wasn't all over, I was expecting some shocking revelation - in fact I had thought we'd see that Sam had actually become the vessel for Bacchus. Then I hoped for a little bit more when Sookie met eggs. Nope. When Yolk approached Andy waving a weapon? Nope. And finally when Jason shot Albumen in the head... it seemed an anti-climatic end to him.

I liked how Mary Ann herself ended, although I thought it a little too obvious that the bull was Sam. Good nasty stuff though, if a tad rushed.

Would have liked to have seen Jason get a bit more action Rambo style, but at least he got another classic line: "I love the smell of nail polish in the morning" :D I'd love to see him team up with Andy next season and I like the suggestion here of him becoming a cop. Speaking of which Andy got the other great line spoken to him "You have your problems Andy, but at least you're wearing pants".
    Lafayette didn't get enough to do here either - I'd like to see more of him next year. Since the V storyline didn't get resolved, I reckon we'll see it there.

The setups for next year have definite potential - Jessica going rogue, Sookie presumably finding out how human she is/isn't, Sam discovering his parentage, Lafayette and the Queen and V, and of course Eric/Sookie/Bill.

We needed more Eric here but we can be assured we'll get a fix next year. Would have liked to have seen Eric turn up in the doorway at the very end to the wrecked restaurant and then made Bill's kidnapper a mystery rather than something obvious.

Excellent season, only a little bit marred by a somewhat limp ending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Surely,it's too obvious for it to be Eric at the end.Would he risk upsetting Sookie like that just to make sure Bill doesn't talk about the V?Also,Eric can order Bill to come with him so why would he need to resort to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Sub-par ending all right. Great end to Maryann, but right at the start of the episode was a bit premature, leaving the rest of the episode to drum up plots for next year. They do look good, but that's next year, not finale material.

Whoever took bill was holding a silver chain, and wearing gloves, so it could have been a vampire if gloves are enough to protect them from silver. Seems like it might well have been Eric, but if it was, why not just show his face? Could have been the Queen (or a henchman), if she didn't trust Eric.

I thought it was strange that the Queen and Eric discussed the selling of V, in front of the two humans, one of whom is Sookie's cousin. Surely she might tell Sookie this now.

About time Jessica went crazy too, that's been quite a while coming.

jor el wrote: »
    I thought it was strange that the Queen and Eric discussed the selling of V, in front of the two humans, one of whom is Sookie's cousin. Surely she might ell Sookie this now.
    Possibly.. but you have to remember her cousin hadn't been back in Bons-Temps in quite some time. Remember she still thought Sookie's grandmother was alive?

jor el wrote: »
    I thought it was strange that the Queen and Eric discussed the selling of V, in front of the two humans, one of whom is Sookie's cousin. Surely she might tell Sookie this now.

Besides what Basquille mentioned, I don't get the sense that the Queen even remotely thinks that the humans would ever dare cross her - remember how she offered that guy to Bill for feeding/sex? She treats them like her possessions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Block (8

This woman..

s2_79.jpg

That's Charlaine Harris (author of the Sookie Stackhouse novels) who filmed a cameo.

Reminds me of Stephen King popping up in a lot of his movies, always had a laugh when he turns up for some reason :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

The final episode did feel a bit flat. It might have worked better showing episodes 11 & 12 together as a double episode rather than having to wait 2 weeks for the last episode.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'm another of the many who were disappointed with the post-gore ambling of the final episode. I find it hard to give a rat's ass that someone has taken Bill, to be honest, and won't be biting my nails in anticipation of next summer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

A bit flat alright. I was expecting the Mary-Ann story to end early, just like last season, but I was expecting a bit more of an interesting cliff-hanger. The bit about Bill being taken wasn't great.

I think there was few bits unanswered from the season too. Like when the other mind-reader guy first appeared in the hotel we heard him think "I hope she thinks it's just a coincidence" before stopping himself. Also the queen seems to know more than she's letting about Sookie, telling Eric not to drink from her etc. And of course Sookie seems to have more powers than she knows about.

Anyway, I'll look forward to learning more next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 glaci

I actually liked the season finale, it left an open door for season 3.. Even though the part where Bill got kidnapped was a bit too much for me, they're still loosely following the storyline of the book and i guess it just had to happen that way. Bill asking to marry Sookie - didn't expect that and just wonder how they are going to pull that one off in season 3... I love the fact that they created a new character - Jessica (she didn't exist in the books) and im really hoping to see more of her and (hopefully) Hoyt's relationship.. I wouldn't mind seeing more of Sookie and Eric either(talk about Sookie's dreams WOW:D)..

• Advertisement

It's highly doubtful that Eric kidnapped Bill. Eric would not have needed silver, he's over 6 times older than Bill, so significantly stronger. That also makes it unlikely that it was Lorena, unless she hired someone else to get him for her.

Post-finale interview with Alan Ball here. http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2009/09/14/exclusive-true-blood-finale-postmortem-with-alan-ball/

It's minorly spoilerish, so don't read if you want to stay completely unpolluted. But it's mainly small details that you'll easily have forgotten by next summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

dodgy finale. but an end to eggs will soon mean i dont have to listen to taras pronunciation of eaaaaggggggssss! well, once or twice in the next season. i really dont like her!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Really hope they kill her off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Possibly.. but you have to remember her cousin hadn't been back in Bons-Temps in quite some time. Remember she still thought Sookie's grandmother was alive?

Why introduce her as Sookie's cousin if they're not going to use her in some way? Remember when Daphne first appeared? Was she just a ditzy waitress, or was there a reason for her to be introduced to the show? The cousin had a look about her that gave the impression she wasn't too happy about what was being said. If she's not going to say something, then it would be pretty pointless to give her a story at all. She could just be another vamp-groupie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

stevenmu wrote: »
    I think there was few bits unanswered from the season too. Like when the other mind-reader guy first appeared in the hotel we heard him think "I hope she thinks it's just a coincidence" before stopping himself.
    I don't see any mystery here. He answered a question that Sookie thought rather than said and hopes she thinks that's just a conincidence, as he doesn't want people to know he can hear thoughts.
    Also the queen seems to know more than she's letting about Sookie, telling Eric not to drink from her etc.
    I saw this as simply stating that if Eric drank from her he'd be even more attached to her than he already is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Dunno if this has been posted, but when Sam was looking at the deer he started crying. I assumed at the time that, because he almost died, he may have lost his shape shifting powers but now I think its because that girl (her name escapes me) used to change into a deer a lot.

Was a very nice back story to Sam I thought.

It was quite a limp ending alright, to be fair they tried to tie up everything with the characters but it seemed to have 5 different endings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Was the deer-Daphne connection not obvious?

Looking forward to next season. So glad MaryAnn finally got killed off. Now to get rid of some of the other nuisances!

Yeh, I agree. First thing I thought when I saw the deer. Understandable too, she was the only other shifter that he had ever known. She was hot too :p.

Season 3's first scene will be Tara getting hit by a bus. One can always hope anyway.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Loved the season but agree with all her that the Finale was something of a let down. There's nowhere near the level of anticipation for Season 3 as there was built in at the end of Season 1. Also with Tara, I quite liked her in Season 1 but again I felt the whole Mary-Ann storyline was weak enough and didn't do any of the characters involved in it any favours.

Bring back the Church of the Sun as I think the 1st half of the season was much stronger than the 2nd half overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

djkeogh wrote: »
    Bring back the Church of the Sun as I think the 1st half of the season was much stronger than the 2nd half overall.

I agree. I think the Godric arc should of come after Maryanns death, it was definitely a lot more interesting overall.

Yeah you have a point there. Would have required changing the season around a fair bit though.

I wonder how far they will go with her new glowy hands. Firing Lightning bolts from her hands just doesn't seem to fit well with the tone of the show. I can imagine they will keep it low key and simple.

I'd love to see the Newlins and their specific flavor of crazy again but it seems their arc is completely done and if they came back still heavily anti-vampires, there wouldn't be much new territory to explore. Too bad, because I do think they were underused in the end...

J-blk wrote: »
    I'd love to see the Newlins and their specific flavor of crazy again but it seems their arc is completely done and if they came back still heavily anti-vampires, there wouldn't be much new territory to explore. Too bad, because I do think they were underused in the end...

Ball has said we aren't done with them. That they and their church will be important in upcoming stories.

iguana wrote: »
    Ball has said we aren't done with them. That they and their church will be important in upcoming stories.

Cool :D. Definitely looking forward to them returning in a future episode and hopefully as part of the "central" arc instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Moyer discusses 'True Blood' Emmys snub

Stephen Moyer has spoken out about True Blood's snub from this year's Emmy Awards.

Speaking to Entertainment Weekly at last night's ceremony, the actor - Bill Compton in the FX vampire drama - added that he hopes the show would be recognised next year.

"Not many shows get nominated in the first season," he said. "I would hope that after the success of the second season, it would at least be up there next year in the running. If nothing else, but for [creator Alan Ball's] work.

"I don't think we were that surprised. Vampire stuff as a genre hasn't traditionally been a big Emmy choice."

Season two of Blood saw Bill's girlfriend Sookie Stackhouse grow closer to his nemesis Eric. Asked if he felt threatened by the Sookie-Eric fanbase, Moyer said the love-triangle helps make the show successful.

"I love Alex [Skarsgård] and he's unfeasibly tall, which is not such a good thing. But he's great and they've got great chemistry.

"The show works on triangles and stuff going wrong. Whenever we see a couple together, we're then wondering what it would be like to see those two together, and that's natural in a drama."

While I'm dismayed at the snub, I'm just happy that it wasn't a snub of the second season. I think the show picked up in all departments this season, from the characters to the story to the acting. I don't know, maybe the show is just being punished for going with 12 episodes rather than your typical 22/24 episodes.

I think Sam Trammel (Sam), Ryan Kwanten (Jason), Chris Bauer (Andy) and Nelsan Ellis (Lafayette) should all be considered for supporting acting noms for next year. If I had to narrow that down to two I'd go with Kwanten and Ellis.

I, for one, thought Trammel was hugely impressive this season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

what that was the finale???
    is there not another episode??? according to imdb there's an episode airing tomorrow night season 2 episode 13???

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1510637/

i was looking forward to another episode now im really pissed off..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

imdb is never right...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

imdb is never right...

damn it!! before i watched the last episode as well i thought it was the last episode but one of my friends looked it up and said there was a 13th episode so we all got very excited as you can imagine.. but now boo... im not using imdb anymore..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

myepisodes.com ftw

Macros42 wrote: »
    myepisodes.com ftw
    Indeed.. I use epguides.com myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

titan18 wrote: »
    There was a lot of nothing for a lot of the episode.Felt they kinda rushed the Maryann ending and the lack of Eric was crap.Between the Maryann ending and Eggs dying,which I'm happy with,it seemed like filler.

It didn't feel like a finale at all and it was weird.
    Completely agree with all this. I know they couldn't have saved Maryann's death (which was awesome, btw) until the last minute because they need to build up to the next season but I almost fast-forwarded through some of the parts towards the end and I've never done that before. And about ten seconds of Eric! I think the fact I watched all of the first season and half the second in a block meant I found waiting a week between episodes a bit discombobulating...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

So finally finished the two seasons of this. Really has grown from it's poor beginnings in season 1. That damn them tune is now engraved into my brain!

So for season 3 i'm thinking that Eric selling the vamp blood for the queen has maybe got to do with the queen being able to influence a huge number of humans, ala Eric with Sookie.
    Sam's story line is getting pretty interesting. Wonder if he'll find some werewolf cousins!
    Lafayette and Jason are brilliant characters.

Oh and I agree Terra/Tara needs to go. Hated her from the offset. So glad no more Eggs either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Marshall Allman, best known as Dominic Purcell’s son on Prison Break, has landed the plum part of shapeshifter Sam’s younger sib, Tommy.

Shannon Lucio, who on Prison Break was the GATE receptionist who turned out to be an undercover Fed, has been cast as Bill’s wife, Caroline, to whom he never returned after becoming a vamp during the Civil War.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Alfre Woodard will be guest-starring in Season 3. The 57-year-old actress will play Layfette's mother, who also happens to be Tara's aunt. Woodard wasn't the only mother added to the show this week. J. Smith-Cameron has been cast as the recurring role of Sam's estranged mother, Melinda and also joining the show in a recurring role is James Frain who will play Tara's new vampire love interest, Franklin Mott

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭kizzabel

hi, when does season 2 start on C4?
    and where are ye watching season 2?
    TIA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭hitlersson666

Whenes season 3? I finished season 1 in like 5 days and im on e06 of season 2 now so when im finished it i really don't know what im going to do... (prob cry :o)

Whenes season 3? I finished season 1 in like 5 days and im on e06 of season 2 now so when im finished it i really don't know what im going to do... (prob cry :o)
    Latest reports say June..

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Caked Karen

June and oh my lord I cant wait!

Has anyone read the books?

• Advertisement
Advertisement