Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spotting Scope recommendation needed

Options
  • 15-06-2009 1:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭

Looking for a spotting scope to spot bullet holes when I'm using my Lee Enfield .303, any recommendations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

At what range are you hoping to see them? AHG Anschutz do a decent scope which should probably do up to 200, but for 300+ you'd need very serious glass to do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Might be worth having a look at these if you are on a tight budget,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/spotting-scopes-Sports-Leisure/s/qid=1245070371/ref=sr_pg_1?ie=UTF8&rs=318949011&keywords=spotting%20scopes&bbn=318949011&rh=n%3A318949011%2Cn%3A%21319530011%2Ck%3Aspotting%20scopes&page=1

Yukon might be worth a look at either great bit of glass that wont break the bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

At what range are you hoping to see them? AHG Anschutz do a decent scope which should probably do up to 200, but for 300+ you'd need very serious glass to do the job.

Ya be looking for something to get me out to 300 yards +

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭OllieNorth

Hi Bunny,
    If youre looking to see bullet holes at three hundred you will need a kowa scope. You will also need another mortgage :mad: as they are very expensive. I have the TSN 821m with the 20/60 zoom lens. It will do the job nicely even with 6mm bullets:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

OllieNorth wrote: »
    Hi Bunny,
    If youre looking to see bullet holes at three hundred you will need a kowa scope. You will also need another mortgage :mad: as they are very expensive. I have the TSN 821m with the 20/60 zoom lens. It will do the job nicely even with 6mm bullets:).

If you're using zooms, then the glass really has to be top quality as the extra elements cut down light a lot. Some scopes get around this by giving you optional interchangeable lenses.

Still very expensive though. You really need a good scope for that distance as even a .308 bullet hole will be almost invisible.

What I would do is ask a few lads with scopes to borrow them to checjk it out. The NTSA National's are on next weekend and a lot of the lads will have scopes even if we're using electronics. If you like I'll bring mine and you can borrow it if you're there and you could ask some of the other lads as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

One could buy a quad cheaper than them and drive to the target lol.... Pricey pieces of equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

If you happen to win the euro millions tonight this might be an option :D:D

http://www.snipershide.com/node/16

Advertisement